All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Elavil has given me a new life!
      #305362 - 04/18/07 06:00 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Hi guys! Had a bunch of tests done (stool samples, blood work, small bowel xray)all came back negative SURPRISE, SURPRISE. Sometimes I feel like our poor IBS bodies are like taking a car to the mechanic when your car acts up. Doesn't it always never seem to fail that as soon as you get it to the garage the darn car stops giving you trouble? Well sometimes I think the same when I see my gastro. I knew all my tests would come back showing NOTHING! I thought I'd go along with him and do whatever he suggested..Not that I want Chron's or UC but darn it, why was I suffering so bad the last two years with my IBS???

Anyway, he suggested I start on Elavil 20mg at night and see how that works. After making myself into having an axiety attack thinking about taking a new med, I gulped it down and ended up being fine. No reactions, nothing like I made myself think I would have. I've been taking it now for almost a month and can I tell you I feel normal again! It made me a tad bit C in the beginning but beings I"m D I didn't mind the C. I am now on a pretty good schedule with my BM's. Still a little C but nothing really to bother me. I no longer worry about eating before I go somewhere, I can eat just about anything (with the exception of milk products. I'm not quite that brave YET
I have no cramping before going, I'm not anxious about leaving the house for fear of having an attack, I'm putting weight back on, helps with my hormonal times of the month and many beneficial things that I just forgot to mention. I am so excited that this is working. I am just a tad bit worried though that I will become tolerant of the drug after taking it for a while. Doc told me he didn't think I would and that he has patient's that have been on this for years. I'm so praying to God that I never become tolerant of it and I"m normal now forever. Yeah right, wishful thinking huh. I know I've read that it hasn't worked for other people but I'm wondering if there is anyone out there (even though it might burst my bubble)that has become tolerant of it?

For now though I'm savoring my new life and I highly suggest that anyone who is had tried everything to try Elavil. It's an antidepressant that apparently is used to treat IBS and migraines. It's such a low dose that I have no side effects. I take it at night when I go to bed. I'm not tired in the morning from it and it hasn't effected my mood in any way. I was wasn't depressed to begin with. If anything I have anxiety and it hasn't even made it worse.

I'm doing the happy dance here in PA and I hope everyone else soon and find something that works for them cause DAMN is it a good feeling!!

Take care my IBS friends!!!!! I'm not leaving ya'll but I just wanted to report some good news for once!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Elavil has given me a new life! new
      #305388 - 04/18/07 10:29 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yay! That's great news!

I also recommend it for anyone with IBS-D (or chronic pain/nerve pain from other illnesses) -- just start at a low dose and work your way up. I've been on 10 mg of Elavil/amitriptyline for a year and it's really helped with pain, D, and sleep.

#305411 - 04/19/07 09:04 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Yay Lisa!

I am so glad you found something to help. I have been wondering about you!

PS. I love PA. I used to live in Wellsboro. Ever heard of it?

LAura

Re: Wellsboro,PA new
      #305466 - 04/19/07 07:29 PM
LittleLisa

Laura, Yep! Know where Wellsboro is. I've actually been there once for dinner at the Wellsboro Hotel(Inn?)not sure. It was a big ol hotel/restraunt. Actually I think we go through Wellsboro too to get to some lakes around there. The only reason I know where it is is because my husband and our best friend went in on a house in Sylvania, PA. OUr friend ended up staying up there to live though. Hubby still goes up to hunt and visit with him a couple times a year. We live about 3 1/2 hrs south of there now. We are between Allentown and Philly. I hate the ride so I usually stay home. But........since my IBS is doing so well on the Elavil, I just may make a summer trip up there this year

Thanks for thinking of me!
Where do you live now?

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Maria new
      #305467 - 04/19/07 07:32 PM
LittleLisa

I'm so glad to hear it's been helping you and it's been a year that you've been on it! I can honestly say that I've not had that God awful IBS cramping before I go in 1 month (Hasn't helped with my period cramps but who cares! They only last a full day anyway!)
Woooohooooo! There's hope for at least a few years with this drug!!!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#305499 - 04/20/07 07:44 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

I was just prescribed Elavil yesterday. I was just wondering, could I take only as needed or is it necessary to take everyday. I only get anxiety when theres a big event comin up (such as long car rides, first day of work, ect). I only want to take the Elavil on thos days. Do you think that thats possible/effective

#305504 - 04/20/07 08:51 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Well, a low dose of Elavil won't alter your mood, so it won't have an effect on your level of anxiety. 10 - 40mg seems to be the average that people take in order to manage pain and IBS symptoms. You do need to take it everyday for it to be effective.

My doctors have told me that I'd need to take four times as much for it to help w/ anxiety or depression; and at that high of a dose, side effects can include weight gain and fatigue. There are newer, better meds out there for anxiety and depression.

If you're looking for an anti-anxiety med, you might want to try Buspar (which is good for generalized anxiety), but you have to take it regularly. Or you can try a benzodiazepene, like Ativan, which you can use as needed, for those time you're really anxious or for panic attacks.

#305522 - 04/20/07 10:25 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Wonderful news! Glad to hear you are feeling well!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Lyndeigh new
      #305524 - 04/20/07 10:31 AM
LittleLisa

I agree with Maria. You'd have to take something everyday for it to be effective. I know that the Elavil didn't even start working for me until I was on it for at least two weeks. It has to get into your system to actually work. I've also been told that the dose that I'm on, which is low, only 20mg supposedly won't give me other side effects. I am gaining weight on it though, simply cause I can eat now without getting D

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Michele new
      #305552 - 04/20/07 04:07 PM
LittleLisa

Thanks Michele. I almost felt guilty posting that I"m doing well when you and others aren't I hope things are going better with you and Will. I know if I were real sick my hubby would be the same way He does not deal well with sick issues. He had me dead when I was sick a coulpe of years ago with just one thing after another. Mono, Lyme Disease, c-diff, kidney stone. It was just horrible so in some small way I can relate to your frustrations and to how your hubby is acting. If he truely loves you, he will stick around. Hey, the wedding vows said for better or for worse and in sickness and in health right?!?! REmind him of that if he acts up again. I think that was so great of you though to approach him with the "I was looking at apartments". Let him know that you are strong and you can do things with or without him. (even though it's obviously better to have him with you!)My hubby and I broke up one time for a few months before we got married and I thought I'd never be able to live without him. Guess what? I found another boyfriend and let me tell you it shocked the heck out of him and he came right back to me. Anyway, I proved to myself at least that I could be without him. So let Will say and do what he wants but when it comes down to it, he'll realize that he was wrong!
Hang in there and take care!!! I really do admire you and how strong you are with everything that you've gone through

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 308 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9925

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review