All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
BC pills vs Nuva Ring
      #304411 - 04/09/07 04:19 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I'm currently on the pill (monophasic-skipping my periods) and was wondering if anyone has switched from the pill to the NuvaRing and notice their IBS got better? I've read many places online that say that prolonged medications like BC pills, antibiotics etc can have a negative effect on good gut bacteria, so I'm wondering if it would be worth it to change? I know the NuvaRing can be used to skip periods as well.

Any thoughts?

PS: not looking for opinions/experiences for the pill, just if anyone can share experience with the NuvaRing.

--------------------
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: BC pills vs Nuva Ring new
      #304417 - 04/09/07 04:36 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I considered this option very seriously a few months ago. I was disappointed when the OBGYN nurse at my clinic informed me that it's only a minority of women who end up with no period while on an IUD. I finally decided that since I'm feeling really good with my current BC pill, I didn't want to spend several months trying to adjust to new/different hormones. Changing that around always messes me up!

And, I'm hoping I won't need BC for much more than another year or so...!

After I'm done with the whole babies thing, I will probably look into it again. So I'm anxious to hear what other women have to say about it!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#304423 - 04/09/07 04:55 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I think I remember reading that AstroChick switched to the Nuva Ring and she was happy with it. You might want to do a search for her posts.

#304436 - 04/09/07 05:52 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I switched to NuvaRing and I loved it. I only got off to get pregnant. It didn't get rid of my periods. And I didn't notice any great change in my IBS. But it was easy to use and I loved not taking a pill everyday. I took BC pills for so many years but there was always a day here or a day there that I'd forget. There's no worries with the NuvaRing. After having baby, I'll be back on NuvaRing rather than BC pills.

HOpe that helps some.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#304451 - 04/10/07 05:32 AM
K2

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. I don't think I would switch unless I think it would help my IBS. Although not taking that pill everyday would be nice!

--------------------
Kat

#304452 - 04/10/07 05:34 AM
K2

I have heard stories of breakthrough bleeding etc, but really it's used the same as pills, use it for 3 weeks, start a new one right away instead of taking a week off. I wouldn't want to be getting my period though, especially if the pills are working well for that. We'll see.. Thanks for replying.

--------------------
Kat

Re: Thanks! I'll ask her if I have more questions -nt new
      #304454 - 04/10/07 05:34 AM
K2

--------------------
Kat

#304493 - 04/10/07 10:29 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

I think I remember reading that AstroChick switched to the Nuva Ring and she was happy with it. You might want to do a search for her posts.

Here I am!

Yeah, my IBS definitely got better once I switched to NuvaRing (continuous use). I was on Yasmin, and I was having some problems with breast tenderness, and NuvaRing eliminated that, too, within about 6 months. Oh yeah, and my blood pressure went down, too!

Saying that, there was a transition time where I felt less stable (same as switching to a new pill, but without the nausea) and I really had to crank up the IF (may have been more the continuous use than the NuvaRing).

--AC

#304495 - 04/10/07 10:34 AM
K2

When you were on the pill were you using them continuously? Do you think the reason the NuvaRing helped your IBS was because you are skipping periods?

I'm already skipping periods, so I don't think I would notice a difference with that. But, the NuvaRing is lower-dose hormones, and it's not ingested so it shouldn't affect the stomach. What do you think?

Thank you!

--------------------
Kat

#304504 - 04/10/07 12:48 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

When you were on the pill were you using them continuously? Do you think the reason the NuvaRing helped your IBS was because you are skipping periods?

I wasn't taking the pill continuously, although I did start shortening the time off the pill. I think part of the NuvaRing improvement I've seen was switching to continuous (and 24 hours a day, not once a day!) BC, but part of it was getting my GI system out of the loop.

I've been on it for a year, and I only had breakthrough bleeding once (and it was literally about 3 drops worth). I've had almost no nausea during the past year, which is also a big change.

Slightly tangentially...my gyn said that he doesn't even prescribe the pill anymore: he recommends either NuvaRing or an IUD. He feels that NuvaRing and the hormonal IUD are the safest forms of hormonal birth control available.

--AC

#304731 - 04/12/07 10:12 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

Well, I've neverbeen on the pill, but recently started Nuva Ring. I'm IBS-C, & can say I've seen some improvment.

I wasn't sure wheather to take the pill or use the Ring, so I asked a friend, & she said when she tarted using Nuva Ring, she noticed it was better because she didn't have the swing in her mood from the pill wearing off by night, & then having to take the pill in the morning, & have a surge of hormones again.

One stange side effect I've had from Nuva Ring is I had really vibrant, stange dreams. But I think that was my system adjusting to BC. So far this month, no "strange" dreams to speak of....

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 452 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2325

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review