All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
michele, question about contact lens
      #304290 - 04/08/07 03:28 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I'm trying contacts again, this time the ones that you can wear for 30 days, night and day, without removing them. I am having trouble with my left eye, and I think I've figured out what the problem is. My left eyelid droops just a tiny bit. I think it must be moving the contact just enough that it's causing blurred vision in that eye. Many times during the course of the day, I "feel" the contact. It will be over in the corner (near my nose), and it will be uncomfortable. I will have to move it back over with my finger.

I never feel the contact in my right eye, and I've never had it move around. I don't even know it's in there!

The other day I was crying (watching a funeral on tv), and the left contact moved over to the corner. The right one didn't budge.

Sometimes (not every day), I cannot wait to take the left contact out (even though I'm supposed to wear it at night too.) I feel like it's irritating my eye.

My questions are: Am I imagining this or can a slightly droopy eyelid cause a contact to move, even if it's just slightly? If so, is there anything that can be done about this? (possibly trying a different size or shape contact?) Or if this droopy eyelid is causing the lens to move, is it irritating (scratching) my eye and should I just give up and go back to my glasses?

I hate wearing my progressive lens glasses! I have lost about 21 pounds since Christmas, and between that and the new glasses, I feel so much younger and better about myself. I don't want to give up on the contacts, but I have to see. Could a "roving" contact cause just enough blur so that my vision is off? Just so you know, when I close my left eye, my vision is perfect. When I try to see with both contacts, the left one is causing just enough of a blur to give me a slight headache.

I've tried 3 different lens in my left eye, and this one is the best as far as vision goes. I know it takes awhile for your brain to adjust to them. I've had this last pair for about 10 days. (one contact is for distance, the other is for up-close.)

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to ask your opinion before I call the eye doctor's office in the morning. I'm afraid they're going to think I'm nuts about this droopy eyelid. I've mentioned it to them in the past, and they dismiss it, saying it shouldn't be a problem, but I'm afraid that it is.

Thanks in advance for reading this long post. If you can give me any insight into this, I would appreciate it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: michele, question about contact lens new
      #304315 - 04/09/07 07:52 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I guess it could be possible although I have never encountered the problem at my office before. Its more likely that your cornea has different measurements than your right, these are called k readings and they determine the base curve and diameter of contact lens you need. You are wearing mono vision, one eye distance and one eye near. I am going to assume your left eye is the near contact and that means it will never be as clear as your right contact. You may also have a little bit of astigmatism in the left eye which would cause the vision to be less than great.

Monovision is a trade off, your vision will not be 100% all the time, it just isn't possible. Don't worry about one eye being better than the other, most people are like that, just as one arm is stronger than the other. What counts if you can see well enough with both eyes together. You will probably never see as clearly with monovision contacts as you will with progressive eye glass lenses, its a trade off.

Just because they are approved to be slept in for 30 days doesn't mean you have to. We use the night and day lenses a lot for people with really dry eyes and have them take them out every night but it allows them to wear contacts comfortably when they otherwise wouldn't be able to because of dry eyes.

Do mention your issues to the doctor and see what he says, they may be able to tweak the contact power a little. They do also come in 2 base curves so depending on your k readings they may be able to change the curve as well. Good luck and let me know what they say!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Michele new
      #304335 - 04/09/07 09:52 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Thank you so much for your input on the contact lens. I am going to put in a call to the eye doctor's office to see if there's anything they can do to tweak the left one. (Yes, it's the one for up close).

As for an astigmatism, I've heard that term, but I've never understood what it is.

I am determined to wear contacts!!!!

Re: Michele new
      #304349 - 04/09/07 11:21 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Astigmatism means your eye isn't as round as it should be-instead of being shaped like a basketball, it is shaped like a football. It is the cylinder in a prescription.

Keep in mind if they tweak the left one to see better when you close your right eye, than you may not be able to read nearly as well when both eyes are open!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 600 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1243

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review