All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
dealing with joint pain?
      #302120 - 03/12/07 06:21 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I have Sjogren's syndrome and have been having just miserable joint pain. It's the worst in my hands, hips, and knees. It's taking a serious toll on what I can do physically and I lie awake for ages at night because the pain is so bad.

My rheumy has given me several NSAIDs but they have all been useless except for Celebrex, which unfortunately gave me crippling abdominal pain and isn't safe to use on more than a limited basis anyway. So instead I'm using up the rest of the Tramadol that my GP had given me for general pain. It does help somewhat, but it's not that great.

I do a lot of walking at work because I've heard it helps, but since I'm in horrible pain by the time the workday is over I'm not really sure how helpful it is. I've tried the joint support things, but they just make me look weird and puffy.

So -- any suggestions? Any non-painkiller meds that might help? Any OTC products? Wacky home remedies? I'm getting pretty desperate here.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: dealing with joint pain? new
      #302167 - 03/13/07 08:08 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I can relate as I have ra and neuropathy. As far as pain pills go, you need to take them on a regular basis if you are having such extreme, constant pain. The pain pills work much better before the pain gets out of control.

Wear comfortable shoes, forget fashion. You need a wide shoe base with lots of support. You also will need a good, comfy pair of house shoes as going barefoot is hard on your feet and ankles. Be sure your socks are not too tight, it will reduce circulation and can cause more swelling and pain.

Paraffin wax spas are great. Buy the largest size, you can get them relatively cheap at bed, bath and beyond. The heat feels wonderful and it makes your skin very soft!

I alternate heat and cold on my achy joints. I either use ice packs or I have 4 over sized heating pads that I wrap my hands in feet in when I get home!

I do wear the braces at night on my wrists and ankles. It helps them to rest and reduces the pressure. Stretches help keep things from tightening up. A good, full size body pillow makes getting comfortable at night a little easier. Try taking a hot bath before bed to help your muscles relax.

Rest when you feel tired and don't over do it on the days that you don't feel so bad. Every once in a while I have a relatively good day and think I am super woman and try to catch up on everything that had gotten put aside and than I pay for it even worse for a week!

If you type a lot at work, a smaller keyboard is better. It allows your fingers to move less, reducing stress. When you get into and out of the car, sit your bottom down first, than swing both legs together to keep the strain off your hips. Take smaller steps when walker, it reduces hip motion and strain. I put a big safety pin in my seatbelt so it doesn't get too tight on my chest and shoulders. By a purse with a shoulder strap instead of shorter straps if your hands hurt.

Thats about all I can think of at the moment, will add things as they pop into my head!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#302195 - 03/13/07 02:04 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

My aunt had arthritis and couldn't take any of the NSAIDs or aspirin - her stomach couldn't handle it - and didn't do well on the more powerful prescription pain meds - they made her nuts. Her doctor put her on Tylenol. She took 8 extra strength Tylenol every day on a regular schedule, not just when she felt bad. As Michele says, that helps keep the pain under control - if you let it get bad it's harder to beat back. You should check with your doctor about this - Tylenol can impact the liver but other than that it's pretty benign. I recently found Tylenol Arthritis, which has a time-release thing that makes it good for 8 hours at a pop - great for right before bed. I'm not saying Tylenol is going to do as good a job on the pain as a narcotic type pain reliever but it can beat it back some.

Also, consider aspirin. It's gotten a bad rap because it can be tough on the stomach but it really is a wonder drug and there are buffered forms of it. Again something to check with your doctor. Perhaps alternating aspirin and Tylenol would help.

There are supplements like glucosamine (I think it is). I though they were all hooey but a doctor of Joe's suggested he take it for his knee so you might talk to your doctor about that. You could also try the ThermaCare wraps for your knees and the one for your back might help your hips.

Also - and this is a big ticket item - consider a waterbed. Not the kind that's one big ballon but the kind that looks like a regular mattress and is filled with multiple water chambers. A friend of mine has one in her guest room and I love to visit her because I know that after sleeping on that bed all the things that usually ache first thing in the morning won't (and at my age that's pretty unusual). I can't remember the type of bed it is but if you're interested, I'll ask her. When I move to a house where the floors can take the weight, that's the first thing on my shopping list.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry you're so miserable.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#302215 - 03/13/07 04:31 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Michele and Sand said alot - they have the experience. Might I suggest a pair of Burkenstock sandals for around the house or even at work. I wear mine as much as possible, I have terrible feet, and they are wonderful. And because they form to your foot, they affect the whole way you walk, not just the feet.
I also have a couple of those magic bean heat / cool bags. When my hands and shoulder act up I wrap up in 2 of the bean bags - one on my neck, one over my hands. They give off a moist heat which I find very soothing.

I've just read about this one - Castor oil. Rub your hands in it, put them in a baggy, put on oven mitts, put your hands in a heating pad folded over. Over multiple uses the Castor oil is supposed to help joint pain and inflammation. I read it in a naturopaths office last weekend.

I don't have any drug recommendations as I can't take 3/4 of the stuff on the market - I tough it out most of the time.

All the best!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 99 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1028

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review