All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I am SOOO pumped!
      #301742 - 03/07/07 06:23 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

While I was at the pool tonight Thomas took a message for me - I have a job interview with a Naturopathic dr's office on Saturday!!! Things at work have been really getting to me so I threw out a couple of resumes this week - and I got a call the next day!! It's an office manager position, and it looks really interesting.

Wish me luck!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! n/t new
      #301743 - 03/07/07 06:44 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: I am SOOO pumped! new
      #301753 - 03/07/07 07:31 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Good luck that sounds like an awesome job opportunity... and for a naturopathic, how intersting!

--------------------
-Sheri

Good luck to you!!! nt new
      #301762 - 03/08/07 03:10 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

That's great! Good luck. -nt- new
      #301772 - 03/08/07 06:49 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: I am SOOO pumped! new
      #301792 - 03/08/07 09:00 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Good luck!!

Interview Update new
      #302004 - 03/11/07 10:52 AM
Toady

Well, I think it went well. The Dr. was 20 - 25 minutes late though, she was interviewing another lady ahead of me. It sounded like a lot of chit chat through the walls, so maybe it was a consult, not sure.

It sounds like an amazing opportunity and something that would be right up my alley in terms of interest. She does a number of naturopathic healing techniques. I'll post her website here, for interest sake www.drlynn.ca so you can see what a naturopathic dr. does in case you aren't aware (like I was!).

I have one concern if I get the job. The hours are M, T, TH 9 am to 6 pm or later and W, F 9 am to 4 pm. She often, often runs late at lunch - 1/2 an hour to an hour, and you will not be able to leave the office to eat lunch and you cannot eat lunch there for obvious reasons - it's a dr. office, allergies, etc. Plus at the end of the day she is often working until 8 - 9pm almost every night and I would be responsible to stay until she is finished with her last patient and all the work is done. I don't mind working late, but to work 9 to 12 hours a day all the time might be too much for me, especially considering that I asked for a reduction in my hours at work now. I used to work 7:45 to 5 or later, now I leave around 4.

She is leaving for a week on holidays next Monday and she will be leaving the job posted until she returns. She hopes to interview at least 5 or 6 people for the position. And it is not union, as she put in the ad, it would be hourly. I have to ask about overtime pay. Right now I don't get overtime where I work (I won't even get in to the legalities there...) and I don't want to be in that situation again.

I will just have to wait and see what happens the first week of April or so!

--------------------
Cassandra

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: Interview Update new
      #302008 - 03/11/07 11:05 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Maybe this is a situation where job-sharing would work. If it's going to be 9-12 hours every day that would be roughly 2 half-time jobs. Since it's hourly anyhow maybe you and one of the other candidates could split it - one comes in early, one stays late, and you make sure there's enough overlap to do whatever handoff needs to happen. (Assuming a basically half-time job would work for you financially.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Interview Update new
      #302113 - 03/12/07 05:55 PM
Toady

Thanks Sand, I totally agree with you about 2 half time jobs. But the Dr. wants two ft and one pt! I even thought about one week one ft works until close, then switch off. The pt woman coming back from maternity leave is the smartest - she chooses her own schedule! I can't afford half time though. I'm the larger earner in our house. Somebody has to buy groceries!

I kinda really want this job, and kinda worry at the same time that I couldn't physically handle the hours and I would let the dr. down. I hate letting people down - I'm a "people pleaser" I've been told. And I'm usually the person who gets stomped on by others because I'm too nice. I think I will send the dr. a thank-you card for the interview all the same. If I'm not chosen, so be it. I'm still going to consider her for some naturopathic healing techniques!

--------------------
Cassandra

Coinkadink! new
      #302292 - 03/14/07 07:21 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I sent out a couple resumes too and just got a call tonight about a job! I go in on Friday at 11am.

Good luck to us!!

~nelly~

Re: Coinkadink! new
      #302302 - 03/15/07 04:53 AM
Toady

Good Luck Nelly!! I hope it goes well for you!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Re: Coinkadink! new
      #302331 - 03/15/07 02:26 PM
Nelly

Thank you!! Mega stressed right now. Don't know if I'm going to like the job, but might have to take it anyway because of desperation...

~nelly~

Interview update new
      #302420 - 03/16/07 04:20 PM
Nelly

That was a long interview-- 2 1/2 hours of going over my work history, portfolio, etc. I was way overqualified for the job and he wanted to 'take me around and meet the other people,' but I stopped him right there and said he needed to meet my salary/job title requirements first. So he's going to have to negotiate with his higher-ups for more money before I go back there again. Honestly, what they were offering for the work was way outta line.

This place was NOT close to the metro, btw. I slugged my 35 pounds of work product 8 1/2 blocks in the freezing wind and rain before I found the bldg. My hair became unknotted twice... needless to say, I took a cab back to the metro stop when it was all said and done.

Driving home from the train, it was sleeting. After a good, hot meal and a 2-hour nap, I awoke to find 2 inches of snow on the ground!

And Jet Blue has grounded all its planes for the day. BF picked a good weekend to be in Cali. *grumble*

~nelly~

Re: Interview update new
      #302468 - 03/18/07 10:56 AM
Toady

Hmm, sounds like the interview I went to. I'm over qualified, and when I gave my salary expectations I make her cringe! Sorry, you want my skills, I'm not leaving what I have for a huge pay decrease.

Sorry you had to go out in the lovely weather for it too! I hate going out on blustery days! I won't even leave the office! I tell someone else to go to the bank etc. And I'm usually the first to volunteer to get out of there for a few minutes!

If they come back with a title and offer that is acceptable, would you work there? Is it something that interests you? I know that was a draw for me at the position I applied for. The only trouble is, I think I would be bored. I can't sit still at work. I'm used to being really busy. When there is nothing to do (which is very rare where I am) I am up filing, cleaning, dusting, anything just to stay moving. The cleaning staff think it is hilarious that my desk is cleaner when they aren't in than when they are.

Wish you all the best, no matter what you decide! That 8 1/2 blocks would be a downer for me, especially because you had to take the car to the train to the walk/taxi. Ouch!! I'm happy I live in a small city!

--------------------
Cassandra

Job vs career new
      #302481 - 03/18/07 02:15 PM
Nelly

I actually had a money scare last night, and did a lot of self-loathing centered around taking the miserable job at fraction pay. It's just that it's 2 job titles ago for me, plus this is work I stopped doing 4 years ago (and now manage people doing the this exact stuff).

Well, after a few green beers, I think this going backwards stuff is no way to run a career and I can be penniless and broke for a while. I still want my Friday back though.

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 545 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3274

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review