All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Traveling IBSers!
      #301497 - 03/05/07 05:15 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Hey everyone- havent been around in awhile but wanted to see if anyone could help with this one!

Its not so much a question, I jsut would like some shared stories of traveling out of the country, especially if anyone has went to a developing country.

This May Im going to Costa Rica for two and a half weeks with my college on a Cultural Study exchange tour. A lot of the trip is going to be classroom learning stuff (Spanish in particular), but I will be staying with a host family and going on 'service learning" assignments off site... a shanty town and an indigenous site included.

They wouldnt tell me how many, but there are going to be some long (like day) trips in vans through nothingness. When I asked if there were any my professor said "much less than other years that we have went"

I spoke to both of my professors about my IBS and my concerns on having an attack in those situations. They are being VERY helpful but they did inform me that they can pull the bus over at anytime, but if need be i might have to run behind a tree and do my business.

My IBS had been in a remission kind of phase for a year or so, with rare attacks. I even got used to eating triggers and being able to not get sick! When i signed up for this trip i was like that, but ever since our winter break now i get sick fairly often, and sometimes not seriously triggered. Im trying to do everything that I did to get myself ok the first time my IBS calmed down, but Im still nervous something could just hit me. But i want this opportunity more than anything so if it takes me poopin behind a tree, then so be it.

anyways, the point of this post is that I would like to know if anyone has been on similiar trips or to similiar kinds of countries where potties arent as readily available as ours, and thier experience with it. This is my first time out of the country. If Dahlia is still around, I know that she has done a lot of developing country traveling, but she is IBS C and I am IBSA, but lean more towards IBS D.
I get a trial run with general traveling next week for spring break- me and the bf are going to savannah, GA, so maybe that will help calm my nerves if I suceed through that without an attack!

anyways, if anyone has any stories to share that would be a great help!

--------------------
-Sheri

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Traveling IBSers! new
      #301502 - 03/05/07 06:14 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Quote:

But i want this opportunity more than anything so if it takes me poopin behind a tree, then so be it.

Well, I haven't been to any developing countries. But I have been in situations where toilets were not available. And the best I can share with you is what you've already said. "If it takes me poopin behind a tree...". Truth be told, I've done some behind-the-tree AND some out-in-the-ocean poopin' and it's no big deal. Take some wipes with you if you can for easy clean up and just be sure to dig a hole. LOL. It sounds like your attacks may be triggered by anxiety. Have you tried hypno or meditation for stress reduction? Good luck.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#301523 - 03/06/07 05:53 AM
Sheri01

actually i havent, but ive been considering it! I used to hjave my IBS almost completely under control by eating heather's diet. Then, as life started getting a little crazy I was less careful with it, and now even when I get back into the diet I still have attacks, so its been hard starting over. I have been thinking about the hypno, though, or biofeedback training- all though I dont know much about it that should be able to help, I think.

--------------------
-Sheri

#301606 - 03/06/07 05:40 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I've heard some good things about biofeedback but I have heard many more positive testimonies regarding hypno. Having done hypno, I'm a bit biased, but of the two I'd put my money on hypno. But it doesn't hurt to try some new treatment (well, most of the time). It could do the trick for you.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#301611 - 03/06/07 05:48 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

While I haven't been anywhere with limited bathrooms since I was diagnosed with IBS I feel for you! I'm sure the experience will far outweigh the possible embarrassment of having to squat behind a tree. I think it is wonderful you want to undertake this experience. Having been on a 3 month foreign exchange when I was 16 I highly encourage anyone to immerse themselves in another culture. It is very enlightening and you will come home a different person with a new / another perspective on life.

I wish you happy tummy thoughts for your adventure!!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#301623 - 03/06/07 07:11 PM
Sheri01

thanks for the feedback! ive known that I would be going on this trip for awhile now, probably since Novemberish, but I didnt start freakin out til this week. I think maybe because it seems real now, and the fact that I started the on campus classes and we talk about the trip once a week for a couple of hours.

I posted on the hypno board that I did decide to buy the cds (I just did!) and im trying pepp caps for the first time. Im not going to be able to be as religious with the EFI Diet cause i live in a tiny apt with no kitchen... atleast I have a mike and a fridge!

Now I gotta get ahold of a Discman, I never had one and I dont know if my sister or any of my friends still do... its the thing to have an ipod now, barely anyone has the discman! my BF wanted to put the hypno cds on my Ipod, but I pointed out that there would be an outlet issue in Costa Rica so I need something with batteries! Maybe since I just spent that money on hypno I should jsut spend the extra ten that a Discman probably costs nowadays anyways.

I used to use acacia, but since i know there will be a problem with taking that to costa rica, Im gonna try a different fiber, maybe fibercon so I can have the portability of pills.

Thanks for the support, it actually helped put me at ease ALOT and I feel empowered to tackle this now rather than give up (which is what i wanted to do earlier today!)

--------------------
-Sheri

#301627 - 03/06/07 08:08 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

I was in Mexico (non touristy area) for four months in my last year of college on a language/cultural exchange. All I can say is I had an amazing time, that my IBS was better there, and even though restrooms were few and far between, I would highly recommend mentally prepping yourself. I found that even by having the options of fiber, immodium, fresh bottled water, Luna bars (in case you are starving in the middle of nowhere!) and anything else portable that keeps you sane and or stable is good... You may find you are more relaxed...Have you thought about beginning meditation to calm yourself down about traveling to a new place? Visualizing that everything will be okay may help...start with 5 mins for now and work up to 15 mins. You will have an unbelievable time...good luck!

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

Meditation Question new
      #301750 - 03/07/07 07:23 PM
Sheri01

Is there any special way to meditate? like, any guidelines to follow? i guess that is a little different than hypnosis, so even though those tapes are on the way, I should try meditation too, IM just not sure how! I have only meditated before yoga before, so I dont really know how to go about it on my own. Any suggestions?

Thanks for sharing your mexico experience that helps TREMENDOUSLY. I am also already ina better mindset about this trip and feel like Im ready to tackle this thing!

--------------------
-Sheri

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2386

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review