All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
food allergies and intolerances
      #300859 - 02/27/07 10:47 AM
MelissaW

Reged: 02/27/07

I am currently reading Heather's book "The First Year." I just finished reading "The Irritable Bowel Syndrome Solution" by Dr. Stephen Wangen. His website is www.ibstreatmentcenter.com. He is a doctor who has had IBS for many years. He states that all IBS is caused by food allergies and intolerances, or problems with intestinal bacteria/yeast/parasites. According to his book and website, IBS symptoms can be eliminated by getting a blood test for food allergies/intolerances and bacteria/yeast/parasites, eliminating the foods that the test shows an allergy or intolerance to, and treating any bacteria/yeast/parasites. He claims IBS symptoms can be completely eliminated (he actually says IBS can be "healed").

In reading Heather's book and website, I don't see any information about the things he talks about. In fact, her book says IBS is NOT caused by food allergies but doesn't say anything about food intolerances or bacteria/yeast/parasites. I would like to know if Heather (or anyone else on this board) has heard of Dr. Wangen and his IBS Treatment Center in Seattle, WA. I am considering spending the money to go there and get treated, but would like to know what Heather thinks about his claims.

Thanks for your help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: food allergies and intolerances new
      #300860 - 02/27/07 10:49 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I know that all IBS is not caused by allergies. I've been tested for food allergies. I have NONE!!

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

I recognize this approact to treat fibromyalgia... new
      #300866 - 02/27/07 11:19 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion. They need to run tests to make sure you don't have Crohn's, colitis, celiac, IBD, diverticulitis, ulcers, or unexplained swelling or bleeding.

THEN your doctor will want to check your Candida (yeast) levels, make sure you have no undiagnosed allergies, check your glucose and iron levels, rule out gall bladder issues, or problems with your kidneys (renal function), do a liver enzyme test, and make sure your thyroid is functioning properly.

IBS is a symptom of fibromyalgia, and if you have fibromyalgia, it's possible your above paragraph levels are out of whack. There is a trend in medicine now towards treating these levels to push you in the "optimum range" instead of just having you stay in the average "normal" range.

The other school of thought is to prescribe anti-depressants to IBS-ers, which in some cases (particularly if you're an A or a C) can give dramatic IBS responses. I'm a D and anti-depressants were really bad for me. They included weight gain and constant thoughts of suicide. Other ADs made me into a house plant. As I could not handle the side effects, I sought treatment at the Fibro and Fatigue Center, where they're trying to get my iron, hormones, viruses, etc. in check. I don't think it's had any effect on my IBS, but I do have more energy.

It sounds like this doctor you mentioned is trying to treat IBS like my doctor is trying to treat my fibro.

To date though for me, the best things I've found to manage my IBS are sticking to my IBS diet, eliminating insoluble fiber (soluble fiber only), spices, soy and dairy, managing my gas with simethicone and my attacks with codeine, using loperamide (Imodium) as a preventative, managing external stressors (stay away from heat, pressure on my stomach, loud noises), and managing my internal stress with 9 hours of sleep a night, staying away from fighting with my mother, and not doing everything at the last minute.

Sorry this was so long. Good luck to you!

~nelly~

#300870 - 02/27/07 11:51 AM
MelissaW

Reged: 02/27/07

Dr. Wangen states there's a difference between food allergies (IgG reactions) and food intolerances (IgE reactions). Have you been tested for just your IgG reactions or your IgE reactions, too?

#300875 - 02/27/07 12:34 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

It sounds like Dr. Wangen is really saying there's no such thing as IBS. That is, people are being (mis)diagnosed with IBS when they really have:

food allergies
food intolerances
intestinal bacteria (I assume he means SIBO)
intestinal yeast infections and/or overgrowth
intestinal parasites

I don't agree with Dr. Wangen. I believe there is a condition called IBS that is not any of the above conditions. I agree, though, that people with one of those conditions - and many other conditions - can be and have been misdiagnosed and told they have IBS. However, since IBS is a diagnosis of exclusion, if you have one of the above conditions and treating that condition gets rid of your symptoms, you don't have IBS.

If you've tried Heather's approach and it's not helping then I would definitely pursue other avenues. Food allergies and bacterial parasites are something your local allergist and/or GI guy could test for. SIBO was a hot topic a few months ago and you should be able to find out a fair amount about that by doing a couple of Searches on here. Look across all Boards with no time limit for:

SIBO
small bacteria

You can see what research there is, what luck people have had with the treatment, what the tests are, and so on.

If food allergies, parasites, and SIBO aren't the problem, then I'd consider some less-mainstream tests for food intolerances and/or intestinal yeast infections. (I was, in fact, on the verge of either doing just that or trying Lotronex when I found this Website.) Whether I'd go to Dr. Wangen rather than a more local practitioner would depend on his prices and whether he offered any type of (money back) guarantee.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

One more thing new
      #300879 - 02/27/07 01:08 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I know you've seen this is Heather's book and I would imagine in Dr. Wangen's book, also, but it's very important you and your doctors have ruled out the other conditions that can mimic IBS: web page

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#310990 - 07/11/07 07:14 PM
ivy

Reged: 03/31/04

MelissaW, did you ever go to the IBS Treatment Center? Is there anyone out there who has?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 171 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1647

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review