All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Poisonous peanut butter
      #300665 - 02/24/07 12:48 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

For anyone who eats Wal-Mart brand (Great Value) or Peter Pan peanut butter ... check to make sure you don't have any of the bad batch! Here's a story on it:
peanut butter story

I ended up having two jars of it -- the first jar I had completely finished and the second jar I had maybe 1/2 C. The first jar didn't cause any problems, but although I didn't get food poisoning, I did have some issues while I was eating PB from the second jar. (I normally eat a lot of PB with no problem -- it's one of my staples.) So I wonder if you can get sick without having full-blown symptoms.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Poisonous peanut butter new
      #300667 - 02/24/07 01:15 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Yes, for people with stronger immune systems, or those who eat smaller amounts, etc. you could just have stomach pains and that sort of thing.

My 4-year-old nephew will eat very few protein foods, and peanut butter is one of the only ones he will eat, so he eats it all the time. He has been having bad stomach pains almost daily for several months, and the doctors have been baffled. They've done all kinds of tests and couldn't find anything to explain what was wrong with him. Now we got the news about the peanut butter, and my sister realized that their peanut butter jars were all included in the recall. She threw them away and hasn't given him any peanut butter for 5 days now, and he hasn't had stomach cramps at all. He's been snacking on peanuts instead, so it's not a problem with peanuts... just the bad peanut butter! Anyway, he never had any of the more severe symptoms... just the mysterious stomach pains.

#300748 - 02/25/07 06:30 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Hey Jen! It's good to see you back again. I noticed you were gone for awhile! I am glad you didn't have any major symptoms with the peanut butter. I eat it all the time but I am a JIF girl! And I can't eat any non-brand name peanut butters!! I guess you can call me a peanut butter snob! Only the name brands for me!!

#300951 - 02/28/07 09:09 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

HEy there,

My fiance got some of that, & got sick off it. He had D, & his stomach was a mess for a few days, he went to the doctor too just incase. He's all better now. He only ate a 1/2 of a sandwich of it, & would've eaten the whole thing, but one of his fillings fell out while eating it (Thank God). so he threw the rest away. That was Fri afternoon.
Sunday afternoon he started getting D,
Couldn't figure out why he was sick until I saw the news on Thurs. night.

Hope no one else gets this!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

#300975 - 02/28/07 01:38 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I ate the better part of a jar of it in the last couple of months. Not dead yet, but not going to eat anymore of it either!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 149 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1139

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review