All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
AD nausea vs. "regular" nausea - when to take anti-nausea meds?!
      #300433 - 02/21/07 04:17 PM
Memmles

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Silicon Valley, CA, USA

Quick question about starting AD's - Celexa specifically. I just started the lowest full dose they make this last weekend, so I'm slogging through the side effects stage right now.

When I started Celexa, I also filled prescription for Phenergan, an anti-nausea medicine. However, Dr. & therapist both said this medicine only will work against the nausea caused by the meds, NOT by nausea caused by stomach acid, eating wrong foods. etc. (??)

I was told the nausea from the meds should feel different from the nausea from foods or other sources.

I know it sounds dumb, but how would you describe the nausea from meds? Is it "unique"? I don't know how to tell whether I need the anti-nausea meds or not. Help? WAY uncomfortable here. All I know is that my tummy is unhappy!

Thanks mucho!

--------------------
East Palo Alto, CA (San Francisco Bay Area/Silicon Valley)

IBS-C, pain, nausea

Edited by Memmles (02/21/07 04:18 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: AD nausea vs. "regular" nausea - when to take anti-nausea meds?! new
      #300435 - 02/21/07 04:29 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've never heard of such a thing. Nausea is nausea. When I started my AD (granted, not Celexa, but still...), I can assure you that the nausea felt like any other nausea.

Also, the idea that Phenergan is only for med-induced nausea is utterly ridiculous. I was prescribed Phenergan FOR nausea LONG before I was prescribed an AD. At the time it was prescribed to me, the doctor said that it's used in emergency rooms to stop vomiting and nausea in general.

I hate when doctors are misinformed about the medications they prescribe. Ridiculous, really.

I would go ahead and try a dose of the Phenergan.

#300454 - 02/21/07 06:41 PM
scigal

Reged: 06/20/06
Loc: Texas

I agree with Casey that anti nausea meds should work for any nausea, but I can tell a difference between IBS nausea, AD nausea, and stomach bug nausea. My "normal" IBS nausea is a tight, burning feeling right under my breastbone that just makes me feel awful all over, but not like I will vomit. When I first started Lexapro, the nausea was not as intense, just felt like my tummy was iffy, but again did not feel like I would vomit. Basically, any unsettled feeling in your tummy should be at least somewhat relieved by the anti nausea med. Good luck to you, nausea is the problem that bothers me more than any other. My nausea with Lexapro was very mild and only lasted for the first five days or so.
Keep us posted.

Christy

#300455 - 02/21/07 06:47 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I didn't have any nausea from the ad's that I've been on (not the same meds as you though). So, don't be too sure its on the way. Maybe you won't feel it. In my case I had no side effects from one, other than peeing less often, and then with zoloft I had d every morning for a few weeks until I adjusted. fun huh? Good luck.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

#300558 - 02/22/07 09:02 PM
Sundance

Reged: 02/22/07
Loc: Renton, Washington, USA

As a pharmacist I have to agree with the others on this one. Nausea is nausea. Phenergan should help with any type of nausea regardless of the source. If you start to feel that way try to take phenergan sooner rather than later...to "get ahead" of the symptom...plus it takes awhile for it to start working after ingesting.

--------------------
John- Situational IBS-D

#300567 - 02/22/07 11:54 PM
Memmles

Hawkeye,

Thanks so much for responding. How are you doing? It was so encouraging to find someone else who had the same fears as I do...fears which I am now really working with my therapist on, to re-process & re-train my thinking to be more healthier. No small task.

But as I've started looking at this fear I have, I've thought of you too, more than once. Just wanted to check in & see how you're doing/dealing lately. Let me know (if you want to share, that is).

~ E.

--------------------

IBS-C, pain, nausea

#300568 - 02/23/07 12:01 AM
Memmles

You know, after thinking back over the conversation with my therapist specifically about the nausea meds, I think I might have misconstrued her response. She might not have meant that there should be a difference in "nauseas", AD nausea vs. any other sources. Oops.

But I really appreciate all of your responses! It was encouraging, even if I was mixed up. Now I can blame the meds, right?!

I've kept up with the Phenergan. If nothing else, it's helped me sleep each night (I take it along with the AD right before bed). It works better than Ambien ever did! I may continue to use this med even when nausea isn't the issue. I've never slept this well. Hmm...

~ E.

--------------------

IBS-C, pain, nausea

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 157 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1681

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review