All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Traveller's diarrhea in Egypt
      #300280 - 02/20/07 10:49 AM
ZahariaCelestina

Reged: 02/20/07

Hello guys!

I'm new to this board, but I've had IBS for the past 13 years, D type. I would like to go to Egypt for my honeymoon but my husband is worried that, given the fact we'll have traveller's diarrhea for sure no matter how careful we are, I might not enjoy the trip. It's a very intense trip, combined cruise and stay in Cairo, so we spend a lot of time visiting... and I'm not sure there will be washrooms all over the place. And moreover, I'm not sure at all how much I'll be able to follow the IBS diet while travelling in that country.

I don't know what to do! It would pain me to cancel the trip but I don't want to spoil it for me or my sweetheart! Any advice? Thanks so much!

ZahariaCelestina

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Bump new
      #301262 - 03/02/07 02:12 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I'm sorry I don't have much helpful info for you but I wanted to bump this in case someone else does.

I think that you should be able to get rice and fish there pretty easily. And check with airlines or customs about taking Imodium with you. And don't hesitate to ask for things to be prepared the way you need them to. Just be courteous and thank them. Oh, and go with bottled water.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Traveller's diarrhea in Egypt new
      #301280 - 03/02/07 09:36 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I've actually heard of non-IBS people getting a supply of Lomotil (a prescription anti-diarrheal) before going to a foreign country, just to be prepared for traveller's diarrhea. I don't know what you do now for your IBS, but I'd go to your doctor, explain your situation, and ask for Lomotil or advice on what else would help. If you don't already take a prescription anti-spasmodic (like Levsin or Bentyl), I'd recommend asking to try those too. (You should also ask if there are any issues with taking your meds out of the country -- I have no idea about that.)

I have no advice on the food front -- no idea what it's like in Egypt. Try to find starchy stuff like bread and rice to fill up on before attempting anything dubious.

Not sure when you're planning to take your trip, but I would work hard to make sure you are as stable as possible before you go. And remember, it is not a guarantee that you will get traveller's diarrhea -- there are lots of people who don't get it, and you might be one of them in spite of your IBS.

If you don't think you're going to be up for the trip ... don't go. I'm all for overcoming obstacles, but you do not want to spend your honeymoon having a D attack in a filthy squat toilet with no TP. If you're pretty stable right now, though, you'll probably be fine as long as you make sure to take extra precautions and maybe take preventative Imodium.

I'm jealous -- I would love to go to Egypt! I hope that you do go and that you have a fabulous time.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 92 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1733

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review