All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
No luck with fiber supplements
      #299984 - 02/16/07 12:19 PM
krasj

Reged: 01/23/07
Loc: New Hampshire, USA

I have been trying to take fiber supplements to get some control over my life again. Unfortuantely they all seem to cause problems with my stomach. I have tried the minimum dose of Fibercon (1 tablet for the day), some of the metamucil wafers, the Heather's acacia fiber, etc. Has anyone else had a problem taking all of these fiber supplements? I tend to feel much worse the next day.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: No luck with fiber supplements new
      #299985 - 02/16/07 12:32 PM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I've had the best luck with Citrucel powder.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#300012 - 02/16/07 06:36 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

What kind of problem did you have with the acacia. When you took the acacia did you take it properly? You need to start with a very small dose then increase it by a little after a few days or a week. Keep increasing until you get to a dose where you're stable.

#300083 - 02/18/07 10:00 AM
krasj

I felt very sick the next day and my stool turned green. I was taking the minimum dose recommended at the time and had only taken it once that day.

#300084 - 02/18/07 10:19 AM
Gracie

I don't think that was caused by the acacia. It was probably a coincidence. In my opinion you should give it another try. If you do, try starting with 1/4 teaspoon 2 times a day instead of the recommended 1/2 teaspoon. Sometime the 1/2 teaspoon is too much for some people. Also use a measuring spoon instead of a regular spoon from the drawer.
drink plenty of water through out the day.

#300675 - 02/24/07 03:20 PM
krasj

I took your advice and tried it again. I am on day 3 and each time that I take it I get nausea. I am only taking 1/4 tsp and I am using a measuring spoon. I took it right before eating. Not sure why I can't seem to handle fiber. Any thoughts?

#300677 - 02/24/07 05:10 PM
Gracie

What foods are you eating?

#300685 - 02/24/07 06:27 PM
krasj

My diet has been very plane for a while now. I am eating Peppridge farm soft oatmeal bread (no butter), plane baked chicken, and "No-yolk" noodles. That is pretty much it. I have tried to expand the diet to include simple things like Nilla wafers, but they don't agree with me either.

#300692 - 02/25/07 03:44 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

Have you ever been tested for food allergies? Your reaction to the fiber could be from an allergy. Or some people just don't tolerate fiber supplements. Maybe try a different one? that you haven't tried yet? Also, check to make sure the food you're eating doesn't contain dairy. I'm pretty sure Nilla wafers have dairy (whey or caesin). Check the bread too. And a lot of peole have problems with oatmeal. I know I did for a while. Oats can be hard to digest. Try a different kind of bread...like sour dough or french. You may also need to get some more nutrients in your diet by adding a few other things...fruits and veggies. Have you tried unsweetened applesauce. Most people tolerate that really well. Cream of rice is always easy on the tummy too. Just some ideas.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#300707 - 02/25/07 08:54 AM
Gracie

hmm, it might be an allergy to the fibre, and I agree with Mary V check closely the ingredients on what you're eating. The French or sourdough breads would be a better choice. Whether you're C or D, you do need to have more fruits and veggies in your diet. Are you A, C, or D?
Have you thoroughly read Heather's diet guidelines? Have you tried the BTC diet yet?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 198 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3669

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review