All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I can't take them either new
      #300723 - 02/25/07 12:47 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Fiber supplements cause me a lot of all over body pain and the sweats like you could not believe. There are a lot of D people like me who can't take them, but many As and Cs find tremendous relief with a daily SFS.

One thing I've tried and liked are glycerin suppositories, if I really have to start a BM. They work for me in usually 1-2 hours and leave me with no side effects like SFSs do (achy back, all over sweats, feeling of all over malaise for 3-4 days).

Good luck! Give everything a try before you give up on them completely-- things work for some that don't work for other people. Whatever Works, I say.

~nelly~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: No luck with fiber supplements new
      #300727 - 02/25/07 03:33 PM
krasj

Reged: 01/23/07
Loc: New Hampshire, USA

I am D. I am a very bizzare case. Even my doctor is not 100% convinced that it is IBS. They are just out of ideas. If you go strictly by the Rome criteria then I don't fit. I had my gallbladder out last August so this may still be problems associated with that. I had a celiac blood test that came back negative but I am not convinced that is not the problem. My two sisters have similar problems as well. It seems odd that three siblings would all have IBS (3 out of 3).

I have tried the IBS diet and have read every book and web page that I can find. Nothing seems to work. I eat quite a bit of French bread as well and did not notice any difference. I tried even taking lactaid pills for a while and that did not help. I am pretty much confused on what to do next.

#300728 - 02/25/07 03:36 PM
krasj

I have been tested for the basic allergies. I had a celiac test and it came back negative. I am having another test done that is highly recommended by celiac.com. My insurance won't cover it but at this time I would prefer to rule it out as much as possible. I am doing what I can but nothing seems to work. I am beginning to wonder if it is truly IBS at all....

#302427 - 03/16/07 07:13 PM
krasj

I am wondering if my sensitivity to the fiber pills is an indication of celiac disease. I am currently waiting for my biopsy results but my genetic testing came back indicating that I had two positive genes for celiac. Does anyone know if fiber supplements tend to have wheat in them?

#302431 - 03/16/07 07:33 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I don't know about other fibres, but Acacia doesn't contain wheat.

#302438 - 03/17/07 03:58 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

I know Acacia and Citrucel do not. The thing you will have to avoid if you have celiac is not just wheat, but ANY kind of gluten...any flour (white or wheat), pasta, etc. They do make gluten free flours, pastas, etc. Those would be safe. But if you haven't had testing yet, don't try giving up gluten yet. It will mess up the test results b/c it won't be in your system.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 767 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3689

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review