All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Food allergies & IBS
      #299155 - 02/06/07 06:06 PM
lgala

Reged: 01/28/06

I just found out that I have food allergies as well as IBS. I'm allergic to lobster, shrimp, catfish, codfish, beef, pork, rice, soy, apples, milk products, coconuts, and walnuts.
Does anyone else live with this? What do you eat? Where do you get recipes? HELP! I feel like the only thing left for me to eat is oatmeal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! [color:red] [/color]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Food allergies & IBS new
      #299164 - 02/06/07 07:54 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I assume your doctor or naturopath did testing for this? If so, what did they recommend you eat?
Looks like you can still eat poultry, vegetables, salmon, and other seafoods, pastas, eggs, and other fruits besides apples. For a milk substitute you can try Almond milk - Blue Diamond Almond Breeze is the best. It seems overwhelming to have all those food allegies or sensitivities, but you still have many options for food.

Until you read more about the diet, here's Heather's Cheat Sheet

Edited by Gracie (02/06/07 08:01 PM)

recipezaar may be able to help.. and new
      #299172 - 02/07/07 05:06 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

talk to a dietitian- if you can have your doc refer you to one, they have a lot of experience and can make suggestions for you.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#299207 - 02/07/07 10:41 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I live with food sensitivities to most of your list and more. The girls are right - talk to a dietician. I eat a lot of rice products, poultry, and Italian / French bread.
Heather's diet has lots of recipes for safe foods too. And, they are easy to substitute soy milk with something you can tolerate. Peanut butter and other nut butters you aren't allergic to are good sources of protein too.
Best of luck!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#299212 - 02/07/07 10:59 AM
witchy91

Reged: 02/06/07

i'm also allergic to some of the foods you mentioned. i have to really modify my diet. it was just recently i learned i was allegic to so many foods too...so like you its going to be interesting. i'm going to learn along with you too. i can help by sending you a few recipes along the way if you like.

Re: recipezaar may be able to help.. and new
      #299284 - 02/07/07 06:19 PM
lgala

Thanks. I hadn't thought about consulting a dietician!

#299289 - 02/07/07 06:38 PM
lgala

Thanks for your responses! I really appreciate all your input. I knew there had to be others out there in the same situation! I started seeing an allergist for my seasonal allergies, and when I mentioned that I had some food intolerances in addition to IBS restrictions, he suggested testing. The foods I mentioned in my first post are the ones to which I had a reaction. I've been diagnosed with IBS for about 5 - 6 years. I found Heather's website about a year ago, and I've had a greater positive response to her guidelines than to anything the doctor had suggested. I've taped her cheat sheet to the inside of my pantry door, and I have 3-4 tablespoons of acacia fiber every day. I also drink fennel tea daily and take a fennel/peppermint capsule before eating anything questionable. So when I was still having major bloating and gas, I was extremely frustrated but couldn't quite figure out what was causing it. I mean, rice is a staple in an IBS kitchen & here I am having a reaction to it! I didn't even consider that rice could be a problem. I plan to go through the IBS cookbook and narrow down the recipes that don't contain ingredients to which I'm allergic, but I would love any recipes that anyone would like to post that are free of those items listed in my first post. Thanks again for everyone's input!

#299315 - 02/08/07 07:27 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

substitutions are a big part of this.. but one trick- anything you can eat over rice/pasta/in a potato can be interchanged for the other starch... trust me, I do it enough... yes ti looks wierd, but it still tastes yummy... my local thai restaurant has even started serving several dishes with spaghetti instead of rice on purpose...

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#299349 - 02/08/07 12:45 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Quote:

when I mentioned that I had some food intolerances in addition to IBS restrictions, he suggested testing

What kind of testing? And by whom? I've very curious about testing. I'm eating "safe" foods too, but still hurting.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#299455 - 02/09/07 07:58 PM
lgala

Quote:

Quote:

when I mentioned that I had some food intolerances in addition to IBS restrictions, he suggested testing

What kind of testing? And by whom? I've very curious about testing. I'm eating "safe" foods too, but still hurting.

Hi Jordy - The testing he suggested (and what I did) was a skin-prick test for food allergies. It was just like the testing for environmental allergies only they test for various food allergies instead of pollen, mold, dustmites, etc. It didn't take long, though it is costly (depending on your insurance, they'll likely cover it). It was SO worth it. I would have saved myself several years of frustration and pain if I'd done this sooner - it just never occurred to me that it could be allergies.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 832 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2296

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review