All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
*HUGS* to you and your family.. new
      #299314 - 02/08/07 07:11 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

What a mess Shell.. it sounds like they are doing the best they can for him... but he has to want help for them to be able to do it too... I know that his outlook is a big part of that... The trach will help a lot though. my husband has sleep apnea and fights using his c-pap, maybe if I share this with him it will help... but scary for you and yours and you are all in our prayers...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: UPDATE #7 new
      #299364 - 02/08/07 02:00 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

So Sorry Shell,

I haven't been on the boards much lately and just noticed the post about your Dad. My heart goes out to you and your family. I know it is a very tough time for you. This brings back memories of my Dad when he was so ill many years ago.

Barbie

--------------------

Love and hugs, Shell! new
      #299386 - 02/08/07 06:22 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Please allow yourself some time to relax! This will help you be a better support!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

UPDATE #8 new
      #299634 - 02/12/07 01:01 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Oh my goodness.... I don't even know where to start......so excuss the rambling!

The healing from the tracheotomy is taking longer then expected.... he is in a lot of pain from being in that bed 24/7..... he has cellulitis on his stomach.... he was given an antibiotic for it that then caused an allergic reaction and he is literally covered from head to toe in rashes that itch like crazy!! The opening from the tracheotomy is still bleeding and they are not sure how long it will be before then can try to give him another swallow test to see if it is working right so he can start talking again. Anyway, when I got there Sun..... he was having dialysis and when this is happening, the morphine and benadryl are being filtered out as well when the blood is being cleaned, so he was in a lot of pain. And.... the freaky part..... he thinks everyone at the hospital is truly trying to kill him..... his mental state is really messed up due to the toxins in his body. He is on a feeding tube in his nose..... he was on one, but it "came out" Sat afternoon.....they put another one in, but when I came back to see him Sun...they still were NOT using it.... said they could not tell in the X-ray if it was in the right place of not.... (well duh...then FIX IT) ..... stupid people sometimes!! The arm with the permanent line for dialysis is HUGE... so swollen....and the nurses just let it hanging there, they don't even try to keep it elevated... makes me mad! AND.... he was laying on a bedpan for 3 freaken hours....he was PISSED OFF!! He is also jondus (yellow skin & eyes), eyes are from the renal failure but his liver numbers are off now too....... what is next? Your guess is as good as mine........ as of right now..... at least two weeks on the feeding tube and a bare minimum of another month in ICU before he could MAYBE be transferred to another unit or rehab... he will NOT go home straight from the hospital..... he will have to go to some kind of skilled nursing facility. It's gonna be a LONG HAUL...... he is "stable" and I guess at this point..... that is the best I can ask for and keep praying for the rest.

P.S. about 15 mins after I posted the #8 update: Sister called...... he pulled his feeding tube out AGAIN!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: UPDATE #8 new
      #299639 - 02/12/07 01:33 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

(((((((Shell)))))))

If the nurses/doctors aren't worried about the trach bleeding, you shouldn't worry. My dad had that happen quite a lot while he was in the hospital, and it totally freaked me out. But none of the staff seemed worried, and it ended up healing just fine.

Also, my dad had to stay on his feeding tube for a heck of a long time b/c of the trach - it sucked, but it was just one of those things. He got off it after something like 6 weeks (!!!), and now you couldn't even tell, just like the trach.

And yeah, he was pretty pissy the whole time he was in the hospital.

I'll be thinking about you and your family....

--AC

#299646 - 02/12/07 02:33 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Quote:

he is "stable" and I guess at this point..... that is the best I can ask for and keep praying for the rest.

I'm glad to hear that he is stable. I'm so sorry that all of you have to go through this. You're all in my prayers.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#299651 - 02/12/07 03:05 PM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Many hugs to you, and good thoughts for your Dad and your family.

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#299658 - 02/12/07 03:31 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

More HUGS and prayers heading to you and your dad.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#299673 - 02/12/07 05:18 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

STill thinking about you and your family. I hope everything turns out the way you want it to. Big hugs.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

lots of hugs... new
      #299693 - 02/13/07 05:33 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

wish I could do or say something to make this easier but unfortunately no one can..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 510 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 76535

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review