All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
UPDATE #3 new
      #298395 - 01/29/07 11:10 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Well, I'm at work today.... having a hard time focusing...but I've got lots to get done before the end of fiscal year on wed.

Spent the weekend at the hospital......

When I got there Fri night things had taken a turn for the worse.... renal failure and congestive heart failure ... his lungs were filling with fluid and he was really having a hard time breathing... he still needs the oxygen to breath....they have him on Dobutamine which is a heart med to help it work he went in Sat morning to have a catheter put in to start dialysis right away... his breathing was so bad they could not get him to lay flat for the 40 mins or so that it takes to put it in, so he just has a temporary one so the tubes and adapters are coming right out of his neck....so that is uncomfortable for him too, but that is all they could do at the time. His highest blood sugar was 496 (note: 70's on Wed) and when I left last night at 9:30pm he was at 405. Another thing is he is not eating.... everything makes him sick.... so they are going to have to start something today (Mon) for that. So, the first dialysis they removed close to 9 pounds of fluid... that also takes into account the 2 units of blood and 3 units of plasma he got. The second dialysis they removed close to 7 pounds..... he looked really good for about 2 hours after and then he started getting the shaky and weak again....

The last update I had was from about 9am today (Mon) from my sister.....

"Mom & Dad slept for about 1 1/2 hrs. She said once he got in the bed he kinda started coughing again and asked for cough syrup. Anyway, he thinks his endurance is up. His blood sugar is still very high (3 or 4 hundreds-can't remember) even after giving him whatever it was (lacics?) throughout the night thru IV.
They have contacted the nutritional people. I think he needs to eat or get nourishment somehow to regulate it better. I told her I would be there about 12:30pm
He has to have the permanent catheter put in right after dialysis whenever that starts. It will be 4 1/2 hrs long today."

So, I will do a few personal & business things for Mom & Dad at lunch and right after work and then go stay with Dad so Mom can get a nap or eat or whatever......

Then our next task is to find out about the Kidney centers that will take patients of my Dad's weight for dialysis.... (they have to have chairs big enough for him).... since this will be happening 3-4 times a week for about 4 hours at a time..... we want to have a place that is the closest to the house..... since Mom works nights it is really gonna be tricky getting him to his appointments during the day (when she normally sleeps)...... but between everyone in the family we will HAVE to make it work.

We still do not have any idea when he might be able to come home..... if I were going to guess.... I'd say he will be there at least another week maybe????

OK... no spell check...I'm having a hard enough time keeping my eyes open....

Love you guys and thank you sooo very much for your comments... I've read them... it is great to have such a wonderful support system here..... {{sniff sniff}}

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: UPDATE #3 new
      #298407 - 01/29/07 01:02 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you Shell...

--------------------
~jules

Sending hugs, thoughts, and prayers your way! -nt- new
      #298419 - 01/29/07 03:04 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#298423 - 01/29/07 03:43 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

thanks for the update....thinking of you and your family....sending hugs(((( )))) and saying a prayer for everyone. Take care of yourself as well. Sue

#298426 - 01/29/07 04:15 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Shell - I'm still thinking about you, hoping that your dad will start doing better. I'm glad you have Shane to support you during this scary time.

Big hugs!

Re: Love, hugs and prayers for you and your dad Shell! -nt- new
      #298433 - 01/29/07 05:54 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Shell new
      #298437 - 01/29/07 06:22 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

I'm so sorry about your dad. My mom has congestive heart failure and there have been many times over the years that we though we were going to lose her. Somehow, be it luck or miracle or a little of both, she is doing very well now. Her heart is strong enough to get her through normal day to day routines and she is healthy enough to take care of herself. At one point, when she was in the hospital, I accepted that she was going to die and there was nothing I could do about it. That's what we were being told. She's so darn stubborn though. She says she wasn't meant to go then. This was almost 6 years ago. Sometimes when things seem like there done, something happens and it all keeps going. I believe that there is a purpose to everything and that things that happen are meant to be. I know that doesn't mean much when those things are happening to you, but I find it to be a comforting thought.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

So sorry to hear about this... new
      #298481 - 01/30/07 03:48 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

I'll be thinking about you and hoping for the best.

UPDATE #4 new
      #298547 - 01/31/07 08:18 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

About 10 mins after my updates #3 (Monday) I got a call from my sister that I needed to leave work and get there right away.... he was having cardiac problems... and yes, he was on dialysis and suffered a mild heart attack (this is his 1st.... however it is NOT uncommon on his side of the family his father had 6 of them starting at the age of 35 and passed at the age of 67 from one). Anyway..... they stopped the dialysis and got him stable again.... Due to his weight they were not able to get him into the cath lab at the hospital he was at, so he has been moved to another one and will have an angiogram today and most likely will have some stents put in for blockages (he had that done in 1999-2000 also). They were able to GET HIM to WEAR a C-pap mask last night for his sleep apnea!! It is cool.... they have a web cam in his room that he talked to the Dr with this morning....

His blood sugar is now in the high 100's.... and they have removed about 19 pounds of extra fluid while on dialysis.

He still needs the permeant catheter put in for the dialysis.... not sure if they will do that today or not??

I'm on my way back to the hospital.... came home to get some sleep and a shower.... Mom, Sister, & I are taking shifts.... one sleeps in the room, one at home, and one stays awake and helps/watches him....

PLEASE PRAY FOR HIM/US.......

Love you guys!! xoxo

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: UPDATE #4 new
      #298555 - 01/31/07 09:33 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

thats great news! it sounds like he's doing much better... and they now know how to treat him.. hope it continues

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 76521

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review