All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
sitting in bed, shaking....
      #297613 - 01/22/07 08:50 AM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

My anxiety is getting so overwhelming. i had really bad D at work this morning and came home early. My hands are shaking so much I can barely type. I got so scared and imagined my whole anxiety-nightmare-scenario. I've got a stomach bug and that I'll throw up and end up in the ER again. I know many of you have gone through worse than that. The truth is, I"ve been through worse than that, but this is what makes me absolutely panic and fall apart. Which is why I'm sitting in bed shaking. okay I'm going to go and try to calm myself to face this whatever it may be.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: sitting in bed, shaking.... new
      #297617 - 01/22/07 09:33 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I don't have any advice, but I really hope things get better soon. I came home early today too. I went back to work too soon after surgery, and ended up leaving after only 2 hrs. So we can be sick together, and encourage each other to get better. My heart & thoughts are with you.

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#297618 - 01/22/07 09:38 AM
hawkeye

Thank you. I did a little self assessment as I came slightly out of the anxiety. I drank a vitamin water that was green tea flavored - i never drink caffeine. The d started right after I finished. Then my hands were shaking which I attributed to dehydration/anxiety. Maybe it was just a caffeine reaction. I'm still lying here in a panic. even when I turn out to no have a bug, the anxiety takes hold and then I feel pretty bad either way. If I do feel better later today, I'm going to make some calls for a hypnotherapy consultation. I can't deal with this anymore!

--------------------

#297620 - 01/22/07 09:41 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I am sorry you are having such a rough day. Do you have any sort of tranquilizer on hand, like xanax or valium? It might help just to take something like that when these panic attacks hit to try and lessen them a bit.

Do some deep breathing and drink lots of water in case you are dehydrated. I think the hypnotherapy is a great idea. Feel better soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#297623 - 01/22/07 09:52 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

WOW. That is so awful. I really wish I could help in some way. You're probably right about the caffeine. It gives me similar reactions, shakiness & anxiety, but not as bad. My aunt's a nurse & she has talked me through anxiety attacks before (I've only had a few). She told me to lay down, close my eyes & try to relax, as best I could, imagine a calm scene, something that made me feel peaceful. That always helped me. I agree with Michele, take something if you have it. If not, try some herbal tea, or something else that doesn't bother your IBS. I've heard good things about hypnotherapy, I hope it works for you. HTH.

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#297650 - 01/22/07 01:40 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

I am so sorry you're having a bad day with your anxiety. I almost didn't read your post because it mentioned a stomach bug and I was afraid to hear that you have one, but then I realized that you were just described your paranoia... the EXACT same thing that triggers my anxiety attacks! It's uncanny how similar our fears are (and our LOVE of MASH... hee hee ).

I almost never throw up... seriously... it's only happens to me every few years, but when it does it's been something bad that sends me to the ER. I suppose because I don't get sick all the time (like my sister), I always fear those few times. Every time I have an upset stomach, I just KNOW that it's a stomach bug and that I'm in for a nightmare. It has even caused such bad anxiety attacks that I was literally shaking like a leaf, starting to hyperventilate, couldn't get out of the chair, etc. It only got that bad a few times before I decided to do something about it!

For me, what helped the most was being VERY strict on this diet (NO cheating at all) until I became stable. Fewer cheats = fewer upset tummy days = fewer reasons to fear the existence of a stomach bug.

The other thing I did that helped tremendously was pray and read the Bible daily. I have no idea what religion (if any) you are, but that is what helped me enormously... learning to trust God to take care of you and take away your fears.

I also began going to counseling. It has been very healing to talk about my fears out loud. It seems like talking to someone about it lets you hear it and learn to deal with it. I also realized that I am dealing with depression issues that I hadn't really even been aware of. You may have similar troubles that may need to be addressed.

Another thing that helped a lot... and I'm being quite serious... is watching MASH. I'm not kidding! I had been so stressed and overwhelmed with my work and other things going on that I just couldn't handle it all. Finally, I decided I was going to learn to enjoy myself more... do something I like for ME. What that ended up being is sitting on the sofa at night after our son is in bed and working a jigsaw puzzle while watching a few episodes of MASH. Works like a charm. My husband teases me that Alan Alda is my boyfriend.

As for medication, I do have a prescription for Donnatal Elixir (sp?). It's an IBS/anxiety medication, and my dr gave me the liquid because I HATE taking medications. This way I have the option of taking a smaller dosage if I want to. Fortunately, these other things helped me enough that I haven't really needed it. You may want to try something like that, though, to help you cope while you're getting started on the other things.

I sincerely hope you feel better soon. Cheer up! You are NOT sick... you are just worrying yourself to the point of feeling sick. Focus on eating right, reducing your stress, and improving your mental and spiritual health... the rest will fall into place.

OH! One more thing that's therapeutic to me... I've found that cleaning really helps when I'm in the middle of an attack. I'm not talking about OCD cleaning... just doing a task that involves physical activity (exercising would probably help, too). One day I went around with a clorox wipe and just cleaned all kinds of things that needed cleaning. One day I got out spot cleaner and scrubbed the stains out of the living room carpet. One day I cleaned out the closet. Find something that will occupy your mind and body so you aren't able to focus on the anxiety.

Okay, that's all I can think of at the moment. I hope some of this helps. Get up and enjoy the rest of your day!!

Thank you everyone new
      #297687 - 01/22/07 06:03 PM
hawkeye

You are all too kind! All I do is post variations on the same theme and you always support me! I'm feeling better now but am exhausted. I am going to look into hypnosis, possibly biofeedback which helped my father with similar issues.

Julie, You and I definitely have a parallel experience of this! I've been in the ER several times following a bug, most recently 2 year ago, first time was when I was 11 (hospitalized for a few weeks) which is a big part of the problem. Having such an early traumatic experience like that, set me up for having a lot of trouble disassociating stomach bugs from actual danger.

I'm not religious, and not particularly interested in becoming so, so I will need to find other comforts. Mash on the other hand... Funny that we're both anxious about being in pain and going to the ER and both like watching this movie about people suffering, stuck in a hospital huh?
I'm going to bed now, but more later.

--------------------

Re: I've said this before, my friend.... new
      #297707 - 01/23/07 06:50 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

you and I are so much alike. I have OCD and that is my worst fear as well. If you are having such severe panic attacks, I think that you might consider seeing a Doc. (I don't mean to offend- I've been there). Sounds like OCD to me. If I can do anythihng to help, let me know. I have some simple relaxation techniques I could pass on to you. They help me in the panic attacks.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Hawkeye new
      #297727 - 01/23/07 10:11 AM
ms.mindful

Reged: 10/17/06

I just wanted to say that I'm keeping good thoughts for you as you investigate options to helping you gain a stronger sense of well-being.

I want to acknowledge you for not giving up and for being a champion for your life by checking into available resources to support you. Feeling better is so possible for you. You are being a warrior for all of us to see. Keep on keeping on! Hope you begin to feel better very soon.

~Alicia

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 772 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1708

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review