All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
How often do you go
      #297523 - 01/21/07 01:23 PM
b232

Reged: 05/05/05
Loc: Seguin, Texas USA

I'm wondering what is the normal amount of BM's your supposed to have? I have to use my zelnorm pill to have a BM and I pretty much have to stay near a bathroom for the next 3 to 4 hours. I really want to step away from the pill I feel like I rely on it too much. I take it every two days but I rarely go the the bathroom between those days. I have been following the IBS diet but I am still unable to go on my own. I am going to be graduating college soon and I plan on returning to get a higher certification. So I soon wont have time to take the 3 to 4 hours out of my day to take the pill. I really want some help. All my doctor tells me is to take metamucil pills 4x a day and keep up with the zelnorm. I am an IBS-C if you havent noticed yet. Any suggestions would be very helpful!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How often do you go new
      #297528 - 01/21/07 02:05 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I've read that it is considered normal to have 3-4 bm a day. have you been following heather's diet faithfully with no cheating? Are you taking a SFS and are you getting a good amount of IF in your diet?

Once every couple days new
      #297531 - 01/21/07 02:53 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Sometimes I'll go 3 or 4 days if I haven't been eating as much, but usually it's every other day or so.

"Normal" is typically medically defined as anywhere from once every 3 days to 3 times a day. Aiming for a BM a day is usually sort of a misguided goal... a lot of people, even without IBS, are just not *that* regular.

Thankfully.... new
      #297537 - 01/21/07 03:39 PM
stillnotpoochi

Reged: 08/23/06

I go one or two times a day when I am stable...I have been eating a banana wrapped in a sprouted wheat tortilla (by Ezekiel) with a little peanut butter and honey and I am kept quite regular. Flour and yeast are not my friend...it sits in my gut like a brick. I am so thankful for the tortillas!

I've always been told by GI docs that "normal" is one BM every 12 to 24 hours. n/t new
      #297538 - 01/21/07 03:39 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#297543 - 01/21/07 04:37 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

1 - 2 times a day or every other day.

I was also told that it's in the normal range to go as much as 1 - 3 times a day or as little as once every three days.

Re: I've always been told by GI docs that "normal" is one BM every 12 to 24 hours. n/t new
      #297584 - 01/21/07 10:38 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

And my doctors - several of them - have all said that it's the wider range that I posted. You gotta wonder sometimes if any medical professional knows what the heck they're talking about.

I figure that if I go every few days and I still feel fine, then I *AM* fine. Don't need a doctor to tell me that much.

Re: I've always been told by GI docs that "normal" is one BM every 12 to 24 hours. n/t new
      #297588 - 01/22/07 12:34 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

I figure that if I go every few days and I still feel fine, then I *AM* fine. Don't need a doctor to tell me that much.

Yep, I totally agree!

#297651 - 01/22/07 01:45 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

For me, usually once a day. Occasionally 2 (or maybe 3 if I've eaten something a little funny), but usually once.

Absolutely right, you are! n/t new
      #297662 - 01/22/07 02:58 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Thankfully.... new
      #297753 - 01/23/07 02:21 PM
b232

You know if it wasnt for this pill (zelnorm) i dont think that i would go at all. before i was diagnosed with IBS-C I hardly ever went to the bathroom. Im afraid that if Ii stop taking the pill Ill have a real serious episode from not going. I do follow Heathers diet not religously but about 85% of the time (I still eat french fries, ketchup,and spaghetti sauce) thats it. I dont go any further than that. Yet nothing. I think that I have the slowest moving digestive tract ever. I dont exercise. Recently I was in Vegas and I had never done so much walking in my life. Yet through all that exercise I still was unable to go on my own. I still had to take time out of my vaction to take the pill.This time though I worked in half the time and it completely cleaned out my entire system. Ill admit that I was out for the rest of the day from being sore in the abdominal area. But the next day I never felt better. DO you think that I should have another consult with my doctor to get me off the pills and see what we can do. I really want to be more self dependent and not rely on this little pill. Dont get me wrong I might have to face facts that I may have to. I just hope that there isnt no long term side effects.

Re: Thankfully.... new
      #297763 - 01/23/07 03:58 PM
stillnotpoochi

Reged: 08/23/06

For me it has been trial and error...Heathers diet didn't work for me at all yet I have an official diagnosis of IBS.

I found out that yeast and flour aren't my friend quite by accident.

You almost have to start by eating bland "safe" food and slowly introduce other foods into your diet. My friend told me about the tortillas and I tried them on a lark...so glad I did.

I don't really have a magic formula...I don't spend a lot of time worrying about my diet which I firmly believe is to my BENEFIT. When I stressed out over everything I ate, my IBS was worse.

Relax...don't allow it to own you...this is what worked for me.

#297768 - 01/23/07 04:57 PM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

How long have you been taking Zelnorm? Usually it's a little tough on the system at first but then settles down. I only took it for a few months at a time. The first time it worked ok. The second time it didn't do much. I've had the best success so far with Miralax. It is a prescription laxative. It's very gentle...no cramping or anything. It just helps your colon absorb water so that things stay soft and move more easily. I would ask your doctor about it.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#298086 - 01/25/07 04:02 PM
b232

I have been taking Zelnorm for about 1 1/2 now. I really hope that there is no long term side effects, since this is still basically a new drug. Although when I do take it it feels good to finally go its just the time that I have to take out of my day to do so. And the hemrrhoids from going so much.

#298122 - 01/26/07 04:18 AM
Mary_V

I would still talk to your doctor about trying something else. You shouldn't have to spend hours trying to go...doesn't seem like a very effective medication. Are you actually 'going' for several hours, or do you just have to wait that long for it to kick in? Maybe you could take it before bed and then go when you get up? Or maybe take it more frequently so that there isn't so much of a build up that takes so long to get out? I always took it twice a day, about a half hour before breakfast and dinner. Are you watching your diet too?

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#298205 - 01/26/07 08:05 PM
b232

As soon as I take the Zelnorm pill I wait an hour before eating Then I have some type of meal (sandwich w/chips or large bowl of cereal w/ silk milk of course) and then in about 30minutes or so It kicks in and I will go and come for the next two or three hours. Im not consistently on the pot. (sorry if thats vulgar) But I have to eat something when I take the pill cause then it doesnt work for me.

#298225 - 01/27/07 04:00 AM
Mary_V

I would talk to your doctor. Zelnorm is supposed to make you more regular, not D. Or maybe you could try a half dose every day? And I don't think you need to wait a whole hour before eating. That could cut down on your time a little bit...maybe just wait a half hour?

--------------------
~Mary

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3293

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review