All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Nicotine withdrawal effects on IBS
      #297432 - 01/20/07 05:24 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

Sorry - I think I should have posted this as a new post? I'm new at this.
After reading all the posts on the effects of nicotine on the digestive system, I'm confused. I've read that nicotine helps IBS, and on other threads, that it hurts. I stopped smoking over two weeks ago, and my IBS has spun out of control. I started the IBS diet a couple of months ago, and was making progress until I stopped smoking. I'm D (or was) and now seem to be A. I get horrible smelling gas (between of 4 and 6 o'clock every day - can anyone explain that?) and have had bowel incontinence, which I rarely have. I'm taking 1/2 tsp of Acacia twice a day and drinking plenty of peppermint and fennel tea. The fennel tea does not seem to be helping with the gas. Anyway, if this keeps up, it's going to make me want to start smoking again. Please help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Nicotine withdrawal effects on IBS new
      #297445 - 01/20/07 07:02 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Heather discussed this in a 2004 Newsletter . Be strong and don't pick up that cigarette again.

Smoking and IBS
"I smoke, and I'm wondering if that is having an effect on my IBS?"

Well, you probably already know the answer to this one. Just like alcohol and caffeine, tobacco is a drug that hits extra hard if you have IBS. Tobacco - whether smoked or chewed - is a powerful GI tract stimulant, irritant, and carcinogen. Since people with IBS have unusually sensitive digestive tracts by definition, and we're prone to severe over-reactions of the gut from normal stimuli (like food, or simply waking up in the morning), it's easy to see why tobacco is one of the worst triggers for all IBS symptoms. That's really the least of it, though, as tobacco has far more severe effects on your GI tract than just exacerbating Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

Tobacco has harmful effects on virtually all parts of the digestive system. It can cause heartburn and reflux (two conditions that folks with IBS are already more likely to develop), because smoking weakens the esophageal sphincter, thus allowing acidic stomach contents to flow upward into the lower part of the esophagus. While most ulcers are associated with an infection with Helicobacter pylori bacteria, or irritation from anti-inflammatory medications, smoking doubles your chance of developing an peptic ulcer, and then interferes with its healing and promotes ulcer recurrences. The increase of ulcer perforation from smoking may be as high as 10-fold. Smoking is also thought to increase the risk of Crohn's disease, and to lead to the development of gallstones.

Nicotine, the addictive element (and a poison) in tobacco, can cause a weakening of the lower esophageal sphincter, increase stomach acid production, and decrease pancreatic production of sodium bicarbonate, a substance that neutralizes stomach acid. In addition to the nicotine, cigarette smoke contains over 400 toxins and 43 known carcinogens, all of which are entering your bloodstream and making their way through your digestive tract. Finally, the extra air swallowed during smoking can cause belching, bloating, and gas.

And, of course, smoking is also known to increase the risk of cancer, including cancers of the digestive tract such as colon, bladder, pancreas, kidney and stomach. Long-term cigarette smoking increases the risk of colorectal cancer for two main reasons: inhaled or swallowed tobacco smoke transports carcinogens to the colon, and tobacco use appears to increase colon polyp size. In general, the bigger the polyp, the greater the chance it will become cancerous. Studies indicate that 12% of fatal colorectal cancers may be directly attributable to smoking.

Setting aside the serious disease risks of smoking, for just plain old IBS the effects of tobacco can be immediate and downright violent. Tobacco irritates the lining of the intestines, which can cause diarrhea, intestinal cramping, pain, bloating, and gas. Nicotine can cause nausea and stomach cramps. Smoking also decreases the efficiency of food digestion and metabolism, which can cause altered bowel movements (already a problem for people with IBS) and bloating. Nicotine withdrawal can cause both constipation and diarrhea. So yes, in a nutshell, tobacco can (and almost certainly will) affect your IBS, and not for the better. If you needed yet another reason to quit smoking, now you've got one.

#297446 - 01/20/07 07:17 PM
DianeM

Thanks Gracie, I've read everything on the board that comes up with "cigarettes" "and nicotine," but I haven't read anything that offers advice on how to deal with the problems I'm having from the withdrawal. I'm on the IBS-safe diet, taking the Acacia and I'm on day 23 of Hypno. I'm having more problems now than before I started these things. I'm absolutely convinced that it's due to nicotine withdrawal. I haven't changed anything else that I was doing, and I'm not under a lot of stress. Would there be certain things in the IBS diet that would be better to eat? I can't think of anything else to do but change my diet somehow.

#297447 - 01/20/07 07:21 PM
Gracie

When you say you're on the IBS-safe diet, do you mean the BTC diet where you only eat stuff like rice, bananas, crackers, etc? If yes, that diet is only supposed to be done for a few days. After that you need to incorporate IF into your diet.

#297449 - 01/20/07 07:32 PM
DianeM

I thought I read that you are supposed to stay on the BTC diet until you stabilize.
I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast, tuna on crackers and applesauce for lunch, and rice and chicken for dinner. Sometimes I have a few blueberries on the oatmeal and sweet potatoes with dinner. I eat banana or pumpkin bread in the mornings and afternoons for a snack.
This is pretty much what I've been eating the past month and half- two months.

#297451 - 01/20/07 07:40 PM
Gracie

It's more to stablize if you're having say a D attack. You eat the BTC diet for a few days until your tummy settles, then you need to slowly add back the IF. The blueberries and sweet potatoes are a good start, now you need to add more IF.

#297452 - 01/20/07 07:43 PM
DianeM

So with all the problems I'm having now, should I go back to the BTC diet until things get better?

#297453 - 01/20/07 07:48 PM
Gracie

Here's Heather's BTC Diet .

I think I would probably just slowly try to add more IF to the diet, and start increasing the acacia. The acacia will help you to eat more IF. However if you think it will make a difference, you can do the BTC diet for 2-3 days.
HTH

#297456 - 01/20/07 07:56 PM
DianeM

I wasn't sure what to do, as I don't know what is causing the smelly gas. Does constipation cause this? Too much fiber? Too much Acacia? I normally never have this problem.

#297465 - 01/20/07 08:34 PM
Gracie

I know when I get more on the C side (I'm and A) I feel gassy and sometimes it's smelly, and other times not. The amount of acacia you are taking is small so I don't think that is the problem.

#297540 - 01/21/07 04:03 PM
DianeM

Thanks for all the advice Gracie. I'll try adding more IF and Acacia and see if that helps.

#297572 - 01/21/07 07:54 PM
Gracie

You're welcome. Remember to add more acacia and IF slowly.

#297580 - 01/21/07 08:46 PM
Tilden

Reged: 08/13/06
Loc: Bay Area

I have quit smoking a few times (currently a non smoker and not going back to it). I did experience smelly gas as part of my withdrawl. It was a awhile ago, but I don't remember it lasting more than a week or so. Hang it there, if it is just associated with the withdrawl it will pass.

Congrats on quitting, it's one of the best things you can do for your health.

--------------------
Jen

#297685 - 01/22/07 05:19 PM
DianeM

Thanks Jen. Do you remember any other problems? How long did it take you to get back to normal, or should I say get back to what is normal for you?

#298914 - 02/04/07 09:54 PM
Tilden

Reged: 08/13/06
Loc: Bay Area

I don't think it was more than 2 weeks, but I was I think a lighter smoker at the time. Not sure if that would be a factor or not. Hang in there, it's definitely the best thing you can do for your health! I hope you start feeling better soon.

--------------------
Jen

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 453 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5215

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review