All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Mammogram at 36? Other updates...
      #296770 - 01/16/07 07:55 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

So, I saw my old obgyn this am for my yearly, everything seems to be in working order! However, he said with my history he wants me to have a mammogram and I am only 36 years old???? Not real thrilled at having to do it but I guess I should. Anyone else have one so young?

I did make an appt to see a neurologist for this Thursday. My rheumy has not called me directly. However, I did fax over a matter of fact letter stating I wanted copies of my x-rays and any other relevant stuff to take with me. The receptionist called me this am and said that the doctor said my x-rays were normal and I didn't need them. WTF????? I told the girl on the phone that the doctor herself told me that I have ostiopenia in both feet, most of the cartilage in my right knee is gone, bone erosion's in all my fingers and toes and abnormalities in my right wrist and hip?????? So, the girl hangs up and calls me back like 10 minutes later and said yes, those things are true but that I was seeing the neurologist for my neck so it didn't matter. Again, WTF????? My neck?????? I have NEVER complained of my neck, i have the usual tension soreness as everyone does but thats it. I told her I have ALWAYS complained of my hands and feet and that she just now told me that the swelling I have had for almost two years is NOT from RA but probably neuropathy so YES they x-rays would be relevant!!!!!

So, 10 minutes later she calls back and said the x-ray person looked at the x-rays and YES there are bone changes and they would make me copies and it would be $84.00!!!!!! I told them that was insane, I had already paid for the x-rays, we went round and round and finally I just said WHATEVER, make the damn copies and I will pay the fricken money!!!!

I am soooo angry, I just can't calm down. Why the rheumy herself can't bother to call me as I asked a week ago Wednesday is beyond me. How they come up with its my neck I am seeing the neurologist is beyond me. I just don't get it.

Ok, so thats my rant for the day. My obgyn was super sweet and said I have seen the best doctors in regards to the miscarriages and yes he thinks I have some sort of autoimmune issue but has no idea exactly what. He said I could try again if I felt strong enough mentally. However, I would have to go off many of my drugs and wait 60 days for them to get out of my system. He said I would have a 50/50 chance of carrying. I am going to wait to talk to the neurologist Thursday and take some time to think things over.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Mammogram at 36? Other updates... new
      #296773 - 01/16/07 08:06 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I had my first mamo at 35 due to family history... evenything was fine, but will still continue to have them every year now.

HOW RUDE about the x-rays!! I wonder if a Dr would have requested the copies if they would have charged??

What are YOUR thoughts on trying again?? You up to that 50/50?

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#296776 - 01/16/07 08:14 AM
michele

How uncomfortable was the mammogram?

I don't know if I am up to the 50/50 chance. I honestly don't know if I could endure the heartbreak again. Thats why I said I will wait until I talk to the neurologist, find out if I even have ra and think long and hard about it. My heart still hasn't healed but my clicking is ticking.

--------------------

#296778 - 01/16/07 08:24 AM
Langgang

Reged: 06/25/06
Loc: Sedalia, MO

Michele,

I had my first mammogram at 35 due to family history and have one every year since hitting 40. I'm a 38D and yes it was a little uncomfortable, but not painful. When you are having the mammogram, you only have to stay in the certain positions for a few seconds, so it's not uncomfortable for very long. For me just knowing that I'm doing everything I can to keep myself healthy (pap, mammogram, mole checks, colonoscopy, etc) is worth any discomfort I have. (Last week the mom of my son's soccer teammates died of colon cancer. She found out she had it last spring. Makes me really glad I had the colonoscopy in June.)

Good luck with the mammogram!

Robin

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

#296801 - 01/16/07 10:01 AM
michele

Thanks. I will call for the appt. I am small chested and I heard it hurts less. With my other mystery illness, I am worried about standing up for any period of time. I also have tremors and shake a lot so I hope they can get a clear picture!

--------------------

#296831 - 01/16/07 11:56 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hey Michele,
I've had a mam, and I'm only 30. Last year I was having a lot of pain and they ran a mam just to rule everything out. You'll have to hold your breath, and hope the technician's hands aren't cold, but it's not bad, just uncomfortable for a few seconds a couple times.

I cannot believe they are charging your for your x-rays! OMG that receptionist should be SHOT! I'm not sure how the US system works for income tax returns, but anything we have to pay out of pocket for medical here is partially tax deductible. I sure hope it is the same for you! I'd inquire if I were you!

Hope you're anger settled down a little!

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#296835 - 01/16/07 12:04 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Your NECK?! And you have to pay for copies of your X-rays? I've never heard of that. What's going on at your rheumy's office? I'm angry for you! Maybe you should also request a copy of your records, just for yourself, so you can make sure they're accurately reporting what symptoms you have. The neck thing is unsettling and makes me wonder if they were looking at the wrong file or what?

I haven't had a mammogram, so no advice there. It sounds like at least your obgyn is being helpful and understanding.

Edited by Maria!Maria! (01/16/07 12:05 PM)

#296837 - 01/16/07 12:15 PM
michele

That was my reaction, Maria! I actually asked the girl if she even LOOKED at my file!!!! As far as paying for the copies, I was told that they were a part of my permanent file and they are not aloud to leave the office, even just to take to another appt for an afternoon! I am sure there would be a outrageous fee for a copy of my regular files!!!

I am hoping the neuro doc says I don't have ra so I can just tell my rheumy where to stick my x-rays!!! If the neuro doc does feel that I have ra, I am going to look for another rheumy!

I still do not understand why the rheumy herself can't take 5 minutes and call me like I asked a week ago!!

--------------------

#296839 - 01/16/07 12:19 PM
michele

Here, our out of pocket medical expenses has to be over a certain percent of our yearly income in order to deduct it from our taxes!! Will writes off our medical insurance premium as a mbusiness expense but for some reason can't get around the percentage thing for the copays and deductibles!

I agree, we should take all the crabby and uncaring receptionist and make them walk barefoot and naked in the cold, snow for days and tell them no, they can't possibility have frostbite, it says so right here in your chart!

--------------------

Mammagrams.. and other things.. new
      #296847 - 01/16/07 01:03 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I had my first mammagram at 29! I'm actually a year younger then you and I have to have regular ones every 2 years starting this year.. my cousin who is a month older then me is a 3 year survivor of breast cancer.. and I have fibrous breasts so that makes it worse- hard to do a good self exam.. and I have had some cysts before (why I had the original mammogram..

They aren't as bad as they make you expect..

I can't believe the doctor and his office- I'd file a complaint and start looking for a new doc- though start with him, he may not even know what his employees are doing..

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3711

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review