All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Mammogram at 36? Other updates... new
      #296852 - 01/16/07 01:25 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

Michelle- I've heard it hurts more and it hurts less. I'm also large and it didn't hurt that bad.. but the way it holds you I don't think it matters if you move somewhat.. though one thing you might ask is if they can do it seated... I have a friend in a wheelchair and they do hers sitting down.. the machine is pretty adjustable for different sized women anyway!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yep! Had one at 35! new
      #296871 - 01/16/07 03:36 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Simply for my own piece of mind and cause my insurance paid for mammo's at age 35 I had one done. I have fibrocystic disease(lumpy, bumpy, breasts)plus I worked with at the time 2, yes 2!, woman in my office who were diagnosed with breast cancer. One after the other. It was awful. One survived One didn't Anyway, I was a wreck so I asked my gyno if I could have one done and he said it would be fine. In fact a lot of insurance companies are starting to pay at age 35.
I'm 39 now and had one at 35, 36, 38 and probably will have another this year.
They say the bigger breasted you are the less it hurts. Makes no sense but I guess if you are small it's hard to put it on the table thingy. The last one I had really was no problem at all. Uncomfortable for a few seconds but really not all that bad. Just don't go right before your period when your boobs are tender. That I'd imagine would hurt like heck

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Hey Michele new
      #296875 - 01/16/07 03:40 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Geez, people on the phone SUCK. I think they need the in-person Michele treatment. With a baseball bat.

Here's what I've done with my x-rays. I check them out, like signing out a library book. I just never bring them back. Got quite a collection now.

They melt them down for the silver after 4-5 years. It's quite a business. I found this out after I tried to track down some pneumonia shots of my lungs that definitely showed calcification on my left side. Those bast*rds had already melted them down, no matter that I'd paid for them.

I'd go in all sweet, and ask to check them out to go to doctor so-and-so on Friday. Swear you'll have them back by Monday. Course with the ice maybe you're better off them sending them to you...

Side story: I had to get extra x-rays of my shoulder duplicated when I separated my shoulder in Thailand 6 months ago. I asked the cost: $6 total for 2 x-rays. Gasp. American medicine, don't get me started.

~nelly~

Oh yeah, I've had 3 mams, and I'm 35. Had my first one at 19. Darn small lumpy breasts. Got big ones with no probs now, HOPEFULLY.

About big and small chested mams... new
      #296878 - 01/16/07 03:49 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Oh btw it hurt like sh*t the 2 times I was a 34B. They actually have to PULL the breast away from your body to smash it between the two cold panes of lgass.

When I was a 36D it didn't hurt. Big, puffy fatty breasts meant more cushion for the smashin' and it didn't hurt any more than being pinched in the ass.

When it's over you will want to cuss out everyone around you for about 3 days, not because of any lingering pain, but because it is such a humiliating affront to our dignity. Mams suck, but cancer sucks harder.

~nelly~

Re: Hey Michele new
      #296879 - 01/16/07 03:50 PM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I've had one starting at 31 (I'm 33 now) due to my mom and aunt surviving breast cancer. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Just a bit unconfortable for a minute but I guess it depends what size you are too? Bigger might be more painful?

Had one at 21. new
      #296898 - 01/16/07 05:44 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Found lumps, some docs poked around, they squished my boobs between a couple of plastic dinner plates, then a biopsy, and all's okay. Benign.

And now, the joke... (because we all need to laugh)

Mammogram Exercises

Many women are afraid of their first mammogram, but there is no need to worry. By taking a few minutes each day for a week preceding the exam and doing the following practice exercises, you will be totally prepared for the test, and best of all, you can do these simple practice exercises right in your home.

EXERCISE 1:
Open your refrigerator door and insert one breast between the door and the main box. Have one of the strongest friends slam the door as hard as possible and lean on the door for good measure. Hold that position for five seconds. Repeat again in case the first time wasn't effective enough.

EXERCISE 2:
Visit your garage at 3 a.m. when the temperature of the cement floor is just perfect. Take off all your clothes and lie comfortable on the floor with one breast wedged under the rear tire of the car. Ask a friend to slowly back the car up until your breast is sufficiently flattened and chilled. Turn over and repeat for the other breast.

EXERCISE 3:
Freeze two metal bookends overnight. Strip to the waist. Invite a stranger into the room. Press the bookends against one of your breasts. Smash the bookends together as hard as you can. Set an appointment with the stranger to meet next year and do it again. You are now properly prepared.

I've posted this before, but it's still funny.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: LOL!!! new
      #296932 - 01/17/07 06:55 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

With all due gratitude, I think I will skip your exercises!!!

The doc didn't find any lumps or bumps during my regular exam yesterday and even though we have no history of breast cancer, he thinks its a good idea because of all the medical mystery crap I have going ok. I will call after my neuro appt tomorrow to schedule it.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#296933 - 01/17/07 06:59 AM
michele

Yeah, I just don't get it. I started off being super sweet and tried the "I'll just pick them up, go to my appt and return them" thing and got a resounding, absolute NO!

I did not know that they melted them down for the silver, very interesting! In MI, they legally have to keep your medical records for 7 years.

I've got no problem with my itty, bitty titties but because of all my medical mysetry crap, they say I should do it.

--------------------

Re: Mammogram at 36? Other updates... new
      #296934 - 01/17/07 06:59 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

REally mine was not TOO uncomfortable, but really not painful at all... she just would lift them (one side at a time) and pull them up onto this flat surface before the top paddle comes down to "hold ya in tight".... I'm a 38DD so I'm not sure how it would feel for other sizes.

{{hugs}} on the 50/50...

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#296935 - 01/17/07 07:02 AM
michele

Sorry to hear about your mom and aunt. Since I gained weight, I am up to almost a b cup! I have also heard the bigger the more painful so I guess thats another plus for having small boobies!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 757 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3790

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review