All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
In Need of Input on Wedding Cake
      #296045 - 01/11/07 07:58 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Hi All. My sister is IBS-D and is getting married soon. She left me in charge of baking an IBS friendly wedding cake for her big day. Im stuck between a huge angel food cake and heathers peppermint fudge cake. Does anyone have any input or ideas? My sister and I will be the only two at the wedding with IBS so everyone else is just going to have stop complaining about the fact that Im not going to make a buttered rich traditional wedding cake.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: In Need of Input on Wedding Cake new
      #296053 - 01/11/07 09:24 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

what about a carrot cake?

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: Hey - ANYTHING goes nowadays.... new
      #296162 - 01/11/07 04:05 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

We had ice cream sundaes as a dessert at our wedding. And guess what? Everybody was happy! I think you could easily make a really cool looking angel food cake - with tiers and layers and everything!!! I just finished making my Mom an angel cake for her BD yesterday. For a topping, I mixed 1 pack jell-o powder with 1 cup boiling water, dissolve, add a few ice cubes and blend into a container of ultra low fat cool whip. It was scrumptious! That would be a great filler between layers or in the middle. Just make sure you stir it or else it will separate a bit while it sets (the jello some of it sinks to the bottom - makes a neat effect, though. ) Anyhoo, I digress. Also, you could just "ice" it with ultra low fat cool whip, and put sprinkles or ooh - fresh fruit on, whatever you can come up with.
I am in total love with Heather's Peppermint Fudge Cake - everyone will love it. You can substitute the peppermint with almond extract - and that's yummy too. Or, just leave it out for a sinful chocolate cake.
So stick to your guns and do it your way. If anyone doesn't like the cake, they don't have to eat it. Alternately, you could shove it up their nose.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: In Need of Input on Wedding Cake new
      #296336 - 01/12/07 07:59 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Wow, a wedding cake! That's ambitious.

You could always do a dessert buffet. Unfrosted cakes and brownies freeze quite nicely, so those could be made ahead. I had the usual cake at my wedding (though this was pre-severe-digestive-distress) but I also had mini brownie bites (instead of making them in a pan I made them in mini muffin tins with nice paper liners), mini pecan pies, cheesecake bites, and chocolate eclairs. We had vast amounts of cake left over but the rest of the desserts were all devoured. Anyway, this way you could have a couple IBS-safe things.

I made all of the cream cheese mints for my wedding -- I made them ahead of time and froze them (I did this with all of the food that I made). I can post the recipe if you want to try it with soy cream cheese -- I've never tried it, but the calories from fat is around 20% even w/ soy cream cheese so it would be IBS-safe. The only problem would be if the soy cream cheese was firm enough.

If you want to bake a more traditional wedding cake, I've made "ordinary" IBS-safe cakes lots of times. I got really tired of the dense texture from low-fat cakes made with applesauce, so after experimenting I found you can make a nice light-textured cake by using pudding mix. For a standard size cake (9x13 or two 8-inch rounds), I use about half a box of instant pudding mix and enough soy/rice milk to make it not-quite-thickened -- 3/4 C maybe?? I also use only egg whites and beat them until the soft-peak stage, regardless of what the recipe actually says.

You can also make perfectly safe buttercream-type frosting by using all-vegetable shortening, powdered sugar, and soy/rice milk. I start out with 2 T shortening and just keep adding sugar (2-3 C?) and milk (1/4-1/3 C?) until I end up with enough frosting. Sift in 1/4-1/2 C cocoa powder for chocolate. Calories from fat is usually 15-25% depending on how much frosting you make.

The downside to low-fat is that it goes bad very quickly, so unless you did angel food cake you'd want to bake it ahead of time, freeze it, and then assemble everything on the day of the wedding. The downside to frosting with soy/rice milk is that it needs to be kept refrigerated until ready to serve and sometimes the soy milk will do this strange separation thing and "weep" into the cake. I keep meaning to experiment with different liquids but haven't really gotten around to it. Using just water doesn't cut it.

I recommend baking and eating lots of practice cakes.

let us know what you end up doing!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Bethany new
      #296337 - 01/12/07 08:03 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

hey, I haven't seen you around lately (though I've stopped reading the diet board if that's where you primarily post) -- how have you been doing? Did you end up deciding to do anything special for treating the MC or are you pretty much just sticking to the IBS regime? How's the reflux treatment going?

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Jen1013 new
      #296364 - 01/13/07 07:50 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey!
I am around all the time, I am just more of a reader than a poster I check almost all of the boards on a regular basis. For the most part I have been following the IBS diet. I am very much a person of habit and I am used to eating this way, so why change? I believe that I am IBS-A anyway on top of the MC. I had a bad episode this past week, very painful and up all night.
As for the reflux, that has been under control since I started the Pariet a few months ago. I went through a bit of a hassle getting my script filled again (my Dr. is in another city) but luckily my dad has the same script and it is all sorted out now.
I never have stuck to taking an SFS so I am thinking that might be my next thing to try. Other than a few bad days here and there I am much better than I used to be.
Thanks for asking!!!
and now your turn................ how are you doing?

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

a few options.. new
      #296756 - 01/16/07 05:33 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

we did cupcakes of different types in fancy foil wrappers- the different types were marked by different colored icing flowers.. so there were safe for me and non safe... and we displayed them on a tiered display rack.

As to cake- my husbands aunts used to do pro wedding cakes and her chocolate fudge cake wasn't that different in consistancy then heathers.. so why not use that...

or a dessert table is always gorgeous too!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Good choices! new
      #296757 - 01/16/07 05:36 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Both sound great-- how about angel food for the bride's cake, and pep fudge for the groom's cake? Just a note on Heather's pep fudge, a fraction of the peppermint is only really needed for us mere mortals who can't tolerate it (us weird GERD folks!)!

You can send my piece in the mail. Or an emailed pic will do just fine~!

~nelly~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 608 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1376

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review