All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Does anyone have MS?
      #295634 - 01/08/07 02:43 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I have been googling all day trying to get info on neuropathy and MS keeps poping up. My question would be this-according to the info I read, a MS flare happens when inflammation gets into the CNS (central nervous system) and causes lesions. Ok, got that part. My blood work shows little, active inflammation according to the sed rate and a c-reactive protein rate. Can you have MS and have your blood work show little to no inflammation??

However, I have a lot of neurological symptoms and visible swelling which the rheumy says is from neuropathy and not ra. My girlfriend, who is fresh out of med school and does family practice mentioned I should have a MRI of my brain and neck to rule out MS. Anyone have any info on this?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does anyone have MS? new
      #295699 - 01/09/07 06:59 AM
michele

It seems no one else know either!! I called my girlfriend who is in family practice and asked her, the answer is YES. The CNS system is an enclosed system and while blood products by get into the cns system, no cns fluid crossed into the blood. So, you can have perfectly normal blood work and still have MS. The only way to dx it is to have an mri and a spinal tap.

--------------------

#295705 - 01/09/07 07:39 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Sorry - just saw your posts now - looks like you got your answer, though. My mom has MS and I was just going to tell you that she needs yearly MRIs to check for lesions - I don't think blood work covers it.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#295813 - 01/09/07 04:43 PM
Pami

Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: New Jersey

Hi all - I'm new here but wanted to respond to the MS concerns. I have been seeing a neuro for the past 3 years and have not yet been diagnosed. I have often wondered if the IBS was related as I also have a neurogenic bladder.I do know that diagnosing MS can be a long, tedious road. They don't do a spinal tap right at the start, so you have to go through the blood work, evoked response tests and numerous MRI's.

--------------------
septic hip with birth of daughter - 7/99
hip replacement - 9/03
MS limbo since 5/04
dx IBS
dx compressed L7-8 and T4-5
dx RLS

#295816 - 01/09/07 04:45 PM
Pami

Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: New Jersey

Michele= the mri's will show if there are any lesions on the brain or spine. Follow up MRI's will show if there are any changes in the lesions and would help a diagnosis. Mine did not change, therefore I am still clueless.

--------------------
septic hip with birth of daughter - 7/99
hip replacement - 9/03
MS limbo since 5/04
dx IBS
dx compressed L7-8 and T4-5
dx RLS

My friend does new
      #296005 - 01/10/07 07:25 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

The MRI of the brain will show "plaque," which shows up as silver dots or smears, usually symmetrically throughout the scan (like a mirror image on either side). There is recurring/remitting MS (comes and goes, you can show no symptoms, then Bam! have some), or progressive MS, which starts out slow, then gets worse.

I just saw some extensive brain scans of a 50 year-old woman who's living with MS (progressive). She was really nice and showed me all her scans and went into detail about all the doctors told her about the disease. The CAT scans left no doubt it was MS. She is relieved she has a Dx, but obviously wishes it was something else.

At the mo, her symptoms imitate my fibromyalgia, (they're also both "invisible" diseases to the layman), and her widespread pain, joint pain, and fatigue was very similar to mine. Also the forgetfulness, big time.

She was new to MS, having been diagnosed only 4 mos. earlier. It was a lot for her to deal with, considering her hubby bolted a month before her Dx. Sigh.

I'm trying to be a friend, and told her the spoon theory, and mentioned a tidbit I picked up about fibro that she liked: "It's not that I'm a crabby person, it's that my body is not a pleasant place to live in right now." She got a good chuckle out of that.

MRI and CAT scan of the brain. Get those and see if they show plaque. Good luck to you, and {{{HUGS}}}!!!!!!!

~nelly~

Re: My friend does new
      #296039 - 01/11/07 07:44 AM
michele

Thanks Nelly, waiting for the rheumy to call me to talk about a referral to the neurologist!

--------------------

#296292 - 01/12/07 01:44 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Michele,
My mom, who just was diagnosed with Meunier's Disease and a brain aneurysm, has just been told that she could have MS too. They have found white spots on her MRI and are quite concerned that she could have MS too. Now we have to wait. There is no neurologist here so she has to wait until he comes to town. She will get a follow-up with the neuro surgeon here, but we don't know when yet.
Like you, the continued wait is agonizing.

I'm praying for the best for you and my mom.

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#296614 - 01/15/07 09:26 AM
michele

I am so sorry Toady. Thats just awful that she has to wait, isn't there somewhere she can drive to that does have a nuerologist? When is this neuro guy supposed to come to town? It seems they could at least call someone and do a phone consult? Hugs and love

--------------------

#296631 - 01/15/07 10:11 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Thanks Michele,
Unfortunately the way health care works here isn't easy. If there is no dr. that travels to Thunder Bay, then and only then, she can be referred out of town. The nearest neurolist is 8 hrs. drive away - either Winnipeg MB or Sudbury ON. Yeah, we may have "free" (we pay for it on our income taxes) healthcare, but there is a HUGE doctor shortage. Even phone consults are next to impossible.
We're just keeping our fingers crossed!!

BTW, how are you feeling?

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1299 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2588

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review