All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
confused and frustrated
      #294688 - 12/27/06 11:41 AM
Valerie A.

Reged: 11/08/05

The latest theory for my IBS from Dr. P is bile acid malabsorption, bacteria overgrowth. Gave me cholestyramine. Dr. P ordered camera pill test which I had to go see Dr. B. Well, Dr. B doesn't agree with Dr. P. Dr. B said I'm not sick enough for him to do the camera pill test. He prescribed antispasmatic and a liquid laxative. So I called Dr. P today.. His nurse/wife said to take the antispasmatic and laxative for a few weeks and follow up with Dr. P.

I'm totally confused and frustrated. I'm predominantly C with some D. The cholestyramine binds me up..now they want to add a laxative?? I feel like giving up on these doctors.

I have tried Heather's EFI diet...I do good for approx a week.. then I fall off the wagon.. eating junky again... So, I have not been consistent with it at all. I suffer badly with depression and live alone.... How do you/would you all handle this?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: confused and frustrated new
      #294696 - 12/27/06 01:04 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Before I was stable, I dealt with it one day at a time. Every time I fell off the wagon with the diet, I paid. Just keep getting back on; keep trying. It does take more than a week but it's totally worth it.

#294697 - 12/27/06 01:12 PM
vmars4eva

Reged: 11/05/06
Loc: Illinois

I ended up seeing about four different doctors when my IBS-D was really bad in high school. I went from being diagnosed with an intestinal parasite to having Crohn's Disease to having an internal ulcer to finally just being diagnosed as having IBS.

During this process I had blood work done (to see if I had Crohn's), stool samples (to see if I had an intestinal parasite) and then I had x-rays of my colon after ingesting some white sulfuric gunk (to see if I had an internal ulcer) and then finally I had the camera swallow-thing before my fourth doctor finally just said I have IBS.

The thing that was frustrating for me was that they couldn't just say that I had IBS from the get-go, they had to diagnose me with all these other things, things that to them were curable. In some ways I think maybe it was so they could feel useful and powerful over me, like "hey, you have this intestinal parasite, and I'm the one to figure it out! Now here, take this magical medicine, and you'll be cured, and I can feel good about myself because I cured someone!"

Another thing that was frustrating for me was my parents' drive to "cure" me. I was 16 and 17 when all this was going on so my parents were the ones taking me to the doctors and signing me up for additional testing and getting second and third and fourth opinions for me. It was very emotionally draining, the feeling that I was "broken" and that my parents were putting me through all this so that I would be "fixed" and I would be the perfect, healthy son they always wanted. (ugh).

But at the same time I'm extremely grateful that I took all these tests and went through all the different doctors... Because now I know, for certain, exactly what my affliction is. And I know for certain that it's not something else entirely. I know exactly what I have and exactly what I don't have. Ultimately, this is the biggest source of relief when it comes to all the medical treatment I've recieved.

As for your lonliness and depression, do what I do: get addicted to a good TV show. Veronica Mars, for instance. Go buy seasons one and two on DVD. It does a person good.

Why do you need other people to make you happy? You are ultimately the only person that can make you happy. Just be happy being you and doing what you love to do.

Hope you feel better! It's the holidays, you should feel happy!

#294712 - 12/27/06 03:44 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

When you fall off the wagon, just remember you're only 1 meal away from being back on track.

#294717 - 12/27/06 04:25 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Have you been properly diagnosed with IBS? Meaning have you had all the necessary testing done by a GI to rule out all other conditions? It's very important that these are done.

It sounds like the two biggest problems you're having are IBS symptoms and troubles with depression. Unfortunately, they can each make the other worse. For your IBS symptoms, you need to commit to the diet and lifestyle change 100%, long term, to see the benefits. It took me 2 years to get stable though there was steady improvement from day 1. Try hypnotherapy if you haven't already. It is very effective in reducing the symptoms of IBS and may even help your depression a bit. And definitely get yourself the Acacia fiber. For your depression, find anything that works for you. Counseling, exercising, anti-depressants (which can also sometimes help IBS), support groups, etc. Anything that helps lift that depression. Make yourself a plan. Write it all out on paper if that helps. Lastly, as far as doctors go, get new ones if you don't like the ones you have. You've got two docs contradicting each other and it doesn't sound like either one is doing a thing to help you. In fact, I'd guess that the stress of having to deal with them is making this whole thing worse for you.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#294738 - 12/27/06 06:29 PM
Valerie A.

Reged: 11/08/05

Over the last 3 years I've been through several GI doctors and the gammet of tests. All GI tests and bloodwork were good. So I am confident IBS diagnosis is correct. the recent visit with Dr. B has fired me up.
Tonight I had a break down on the phone with a friend.
I ate a healthy dinner tonight - baked catfish, rice and peas. I guess that is a start.
I am encouraged by everyone's responses. Thank you so much for caring and supporting me.
I am not sure what the "Reporting In" posts are about on the Lifestyle board. Maybe I should post there each day, even if I mess up? I'm hoping to find a source of accountability.

#294752 - 12/27/06 08:17 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Quote:

I ate a healthy dinner tonight - baked catfish, rice and peas. I guess that is a start.

That is a start, and a good one. You can do it! One day at a time.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 118 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1649

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review