All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
My hair is falling out
      #291403 - 11/27/06 09:16 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Well, its official, I can not pretend its just normal shedding any longer. The rheumy upped the dose of my mtx last week which has made me horribly sick and tired and its making my hair fall out even more. I would say I've lost a good 1/5 of my hair. Supposedly, you aren't supposed to lose it all when on the dose I'm on but my goodness, ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

I have always had very thin, fine hair but lots of it. Well, now its just thin and fine. Its very long, past the middle of my back but I'm afraid I will have to cut it off before too long.

Isn't it enough that I'm sick and have to take these crappy drugs????? The drugs do seem to be slowing down the ra, the swelling is less and the over all pain is less. However, I'm SOOO tired and weak and achy and cranky and nausous and this D 20 times a day has got to stop!!! GRRRRR!!!

Ok, rant over. Had to get that out, thanks. Will has been a dear and says he will love me even if I'm bald! He has been helping around the house and cooking and such. I really need to get the house cleaned up and want to put up my Christmas decorations since we didn't do it last year. We got home late Saturday and all I could do Sunday was sleep.

I think part of it is this is the time I lost my baby twin girls last year. I keep trying not to dwell on it and love my puppies but I just feel so physically and emotionally drained. I miss my babies. I know there are people who have it worse than me and I hate having these little pity parties but damn it, haven't I suffered eough????

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My hair is falling out new
      #291405 - 11/27/06 09:24 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

*HUG* michelle- would you like some funky hats? I know having some helped Bill's stepmom when she lost her hair, and same with his sister in laws mom... another option is a good wig... *HUG* it is possible to still look pretty despite it all, and I know that will help raise at least some of your spirits.. I am so sorry you are going through all this!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#291407 - 11/27/06 09:45 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm really sorry to hear this, Michele. As khyricat says, funky, fun, pretty, flirty hats can help.

If you're going to be on the mtx long-term and think the hair loss will continue, you might consider a wig. I figured if I was going to lose my hair anyhow I wanted a little control and had the wig lady just take it all off. (I also played around with different colors and styles in wigs and discovered that despite my life-long dreams of being a strawberry blonde I looked like old cheese with that color hair.)

I'm glad the mtx is helping your RA symptoms but sorry the side-effects are proving to be so miserable. Please take it easy on yourself - you simply may not be able to do everything you want so take it a little at a time.

Remembering there are other people who are worse off is great for perspective, but it doesn't really make what you're going through any easier. I'd say you're more than entitled to a pity party from time to time. If I were going through what you are, I'd spend all my time curled up crying.

Please take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#291410 - 11/27/06 10:03 AM
michele

Thanks Sand. I honestly don't think I could do a wig. My body temperature doesn't regulate well and I'm often extremely hot and I think the wig would make me hotter. I think if the hair loss continues, I will cut it short and see what happens. Because I've been on the steroids so long, my face has that moon shape to it and I'm carrying extra weight from them as well so don't think short hair is going to be very flattering but I guess its better than having to follow myself around with the dust buster sucking up all the strays!

--------------------

#291412 - 11/27/06 10:06 AM
michele

Thanks Amie. As I just posted to Sand, I don't think I could do a wig. I have a very little head, especially when compared to the rest of me!! Most adult hats are too big for me!

--------------------

#291453 - 11/27/06 01:18 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04

*HUG* if you want- put a tape measure around your head and tell me what diameter to make a cap and I'll try to make you something fun, cute and NOT warm...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#291462 - 11/27/06 01:45 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Michele,

I am so sorry to hear about your hair - that must be distressing for you. The other ladies have already mentioned the hats and wig idea that I thought of at first, so I will have to try and think of another idea for you.
Hopefully you can find some cute hats that are small enough for your head - especially in winter, there seems to be a lot out there right now.

I'm glad Will is being supportive and you aren't pushing yourself too hard - remember to take it easy and let your body do what is has to so you can feel good.

**hugs**
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#291470 - 11/27/06 02:16 PM
michele

Thanks Steph. Its just so hard with the holidays and everything. I feel like a big lump on the couch most of the time.

--------------------

#291471 - 11/27/06 02:17 PM
michele

Thanks Amie. I just measured around my head, just above my ears and its 22 inches. I have no idea how they measure for hats but I know all the ones I try on are too big!

--------------------

#291476 - 11/27/06 03:15 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hi Michelle, I am sorry to hear that you are going through hair loss - you are such an inspiration as you always have a cheerful tone even when going through health difficulties. You are truly blessed with a wonderfully supportive and loving husband - I send you prayers and hugs as you let your body rest and repair! Debbie IBS-A

#291501 - 11/27/06 06:16 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Your poor thing! This is terrible! I don't even have any sympathetic advice to offer. My good friend also lost her hair from medications this summer. She made up cute scarves and bandanas to wear. I hope you can find something to suit you too.

And yes, I think we all agree, you have been through more than enough already!

I wish I could sew like my mom - she used to make light weight hats for a couple of friends who sadly passed away during cancer treatment. They are really nice, but I can't sew, and my mom's too ill to ask her. But, I'll send you good thoughts!! Try scarves - they don't come in hat sizes and you can fiddle with them pretty easily despite your swollen hands.

HUGSSSSSS!!!!!!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#291533 - 11/27/06 08:21 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Geez Michelle... this is definitely no fair. I really hope things look up for you soon.

Re: Thanks Chinagirl! new
      #291573 - 11/28/06 06:56 AM
michele

I appriciate the continued support!

--------------------

#291575 - 11/28/06 07:00 AM
michele

Thanks Toady! I'm sorry you have had some many people you know pass.

I've always wanted to learn to sew but just can't get the hang of it, I gave up on it years ago!

This is going to sound really awful, but I almost wish ALL my hair would fall out. Instead, its just thinning so much it looks like the hair of a 95 year old. I still have enough that I really can't justify shaving my head or anything but it just looks bad and doesn't do a thing for my already lowered self esteem!

--------------------

Re: Thanks Debbie! -nt new
      #291576 - 11/28/06 07:01 AM
michele

--------------------

#291584 - 11/28/06 07:47 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I if was there right now I would give you a hug! xxx Just hang in there I know some days are HARDER than others. But just rember "this two shall pass"! I have a friend whos going through a rough time right now and I keep telling her that her rainbow is on its way and I belive yours is to! Huggs xxx Sheila

#291627 - 11/28/06 10:46 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Listen... you HAVE suffered enough, dammit... and if you want to have a pity party, you go right ahead and have it!

I'm so glad Will's being such a help and support. Counts for a lot, doesn't it?

I wish I could wave the magic wand and make SOMETHING better for you, sweetie, because you definitely deserve it... but all I can do is say that I hope you feel better soon.

Hey, I know - I can knit you a wig! How about this one? Or maybe this one? How about this or this for when you're feeling a little wild? (Admit it - you're smiling now!)

Re: Lol! new
      #291631 - 11/28/06 11:12 AM
michele

Ok, yes, know I'm smiling! Does the first one come in purple?

Wills has been great but I still feel guilty for making him go through this. My pity party seems to come and go. One minute, I'm ok and the next I'm just having a complete meltdown. I would assume you are experiencing the same kind of thing right now as well.

--------------------

It sure does! new
      #291635 - 11/28/06 11:29 AM
atomic rose

You even have your choice of shades of purple! Are you feeling dark? Lavender? Bright?

Yeah, I'm definitely experiencing the same thing. I force myself to be ok most of the time, even though certain thoughts never leave my head... and then all the sudden, bam, meltdown city. It stinks. But I guess this is how things are, huh? All you can really do is hang in there and get through it. *big hugs*

Re: It sure does! new
      #291642 - 11/28/06 12:11 PM
michele

Hugs to you to sweetie. One day at a time.....

--------------------

#291658 - 11/28/06 01:23 PM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

This is SO not fair! If I had nice hair I'd offer you some of it. You have every right to feel sorry for yourself. One of these days the Drs are going to figure out what's causing these problems & fix them, then you can do whatever you want (within reason ). But for now, know that we're all here for you.

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#291788 - 11/29/06 07:48 AM
michele

Thanks. I actually plugged up the shower drained so bad last night, hubby had to get the plunger out!

--------------------

#291801 - 11/29/06 09:21 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Yes, you have suffered enough! I don't see anything wrong with having a pity party now and then.

Big hugs, Michele.

#291809 - 11/29/06 10:35 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

aww Michele..

I haven't been around much, so I'm not too sure what's been going on with you lately, but I know enough to say that someone needs to throw you a bone!!

I also would offer you some hair, but trust me, I don't have any to spare.

--------------------

Re: Getting it cut in 2 hours!! new
      #291995 - 11/30/06 10:10 AM
michele

I'm a bit anxious about it but my girlfriend came to the office and we looked at pictures and she called and got me in at 3pm today for a cut and color. Its very long right now, past the middle of my back and I think its going to end up fairly short, somewhere between mid neck and collar length, I think! Its only hair, it'll grow back, right????? Don't know why I'm so nervous about it, I'll try to take some pictures of it later!

--------------------

#291997 - 11/30/06 10:12 AM
michele

I'm also going to see if I have 10 inches to cut because than I can donate it to locks of love.

--------------------

#292002 - 11/30/06 10:29 AM
Toady

What an awesome way to turn around having to cut your hair into a good cause! I've often thought of shaving my head for cancer - it's an annual thing here - and donating my hair to wigs for kids, but I have coloured my hair in the past so they won't accept it.

I'm sure the new do will look fantastic!!

How's your throat?

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#292019 - 11/30/06 11:30 AM
michele

Throat still hurts, gone through a whole bad of cough drops!!

I also color my hair and I didn't read anywhere that colored hair wasn't accepted??? Hmm, I'll ask at the salon I guess. Almost time to go, very nervous!

--------------------

#292035 - 11/30/06 12:15 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03

I can't wait to see the pics. I've had short hair for years and am a big fan. :0)

--------------------
~jules

Re: 14 inches cut!!! new
      #292049 - 11/30/06 02:23 PM
michele

Holy cow, that was a LOT of hair!!!!! She cut 14 inches off my hair! Its just collar length with a flip in the back and the color is very warm brown with a bit of red. My neck feels so much better and I feel light! Now that the anxiety is over, I think I'm really going to like it!

If I don't get a chance to take pictures tonight, I'll take some over the weekend!

I am going to send it to locks of love. They said it can be colored as long as it isn't chemically damaged and it wasn't so I feel good about that!

The antibiotics are making me feel a bit better but it was a stressful day and I'm going home and going to bed!

--------------------

Re: Good for you! new
      #292063 - 11/30/06 04:49 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I love to hear when people donate their locks to that charity! I always think, God forbid I ever need it, there are generous people out there who are always donating!
Can't wait to see pics! The color sounds nice too!
See, you are feeling better already!
Take care!!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Ok, Pictures!!!!! new
      #292098 - 12/01/06 07:22 AM
michele

The jury is still out but its easy to do and my head feels about 10lbs lighter!

With my glasses on

Me, with my glasses on and the boys!

Just the boys

And the kitty, Big Boy

--------------------

#292099 - 12/01/06 07:25 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

awww, I think that your hair looks ADORABLE!
I can't believe you cut off 14 inches! What did it look like before?

--------------------

#292101 - 12/01/06 07:39 AM
kenjari

Reged: 10/18/06
Loc: Boston

Looks great!

--------------------
-Carol
IBS-A

#292103 - 12/01/06 07:54 AM
michele

I looked and the most recent photo is June and I was wearing pig tails. I haven't had many pictures taken recently because I've been feeling so crappy. It was pretty much just straight down between the middle of my back and waist. Every time I sat back, I leaned on my hair and it pulled!

--------------------

Looks FANTASTIC -nt new
      #292106 - 12/01/06 08:03 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

It looks great, Michele! (And I love the kitty picture.) -nt- new
      #292109 - 12/01/06 08:12 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#292126 - 12/01/06 09:43 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Fantastic! I love the new haircut. (Btw, you always have the best lipstick colors.)

Cute pics!

Re: Adorable Michelle! LOVE it!!! -nt- new
      #292130 - 12/01/06 10:24 AM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Hehe, thanks! new
      #292133 - 12/01/06 10:55 AM
michele

My girlfriend and I are total MAC snobs when it comes to make-up!!

--------------------

#292134 - 12/01/06 11:31 AM
Toady

"You look Marvelous darling!!"

Really, you look great, and it's not too short that you can't do anything different with it.

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Looks great! And I love the glasses!-nt new
      #292135 - 12/01/06 11:32 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

--------------------

#292141 - 12/01/06 12:01 PM
michele

Thanks, its growing on me, mostly because its so much more comfortable! I bet I can let it air dry and it would look cute too if I was really having a bad day. I plan on picking up some of those wide headbands that are so popular to change it up a bit or when I'm feeling lazy!

--------------------

Re: Looks great! And I love the glasses new
      #292142 - 12/01/06 12:02 PM
michele

Thanks Ginger! The glasses are Ralph Lauren, perks of the job! I have several pair but these are my favorite. I don't usually wear them home but Will thought the short hair with glasses was pretty sexy!

--------------------

#292164 - 12/01/06 03:56 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I LOVE IT GOOD FOR YOU! & LET ME SAY I LOVE THE PUPPIES AND THE KITTY CUTE!!!! ~HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND SHEILA XXXX

#292188 - 12/01/06 06:21 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Looks super cute Michelle. I think you turned a negative into a positive for sure.

#292206 - 12/01/06 11:03 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Your hair must've been really thick if you've lost as much as you say. I think it looks great and not at all thin. Great haircut!!

#292348 - 12/03/06 11:56 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

It looks great!

By the way, the hair loss might be only temporary. The first 3-4 weeks I was on Plaquenil I lost a TON of hair -- there was enough in the shower drain every morning to make a complete set of reproduction Victorian hair jewelry. But it did end up really slowing down. Now it's growing back so I have all these hairs 1-2" long sticking up all over the place.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#292384 - 12/03/06 07:55 PM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

you look so pretty!!!

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

#292413 - 12/04/06 07:55 AM
michele

Thats odd, I never heard of placquenil causing hair loss. I've been on that since last January and didn't notice it than. However, the mtx is a whole different story. Three days after my first shot and it started coming out in handfuls! The shorter hair helps it to look fuller. They said it will grow back if you STOP the mtx but its usually a drug you stay on forever as stopping it usually causing a major flare. As long as I don't lose much more hair, I can live with it!

--------------------

Re: Thanks Chinagirl new
      #292414 - 12/04/06 07:56 AM
michele

I'm starting to like it more, it was just a bit of a shock at first but it feels so much better and is so much easier to deal with!

--------------------

Re: Thanks Julie E new
      #292415 - 12/04/06 07:58 AM
michele

Yes, my hair is really fine but it was super thick. Most people said it didn't look too thin to them but it was just too much to take care of. I have RA and only have so much energy for each day and spending a lot of it on my hair just seemed silly!

--------------------

Re: Thanks Sheila!! -nt new
      #292416 - 12/04/06 07:58 AM
michele

--------------------

It looks great!!! Love the color too!! -nt- new
      #292432 - 12/04/06 10:47 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

Oh! It looks FANTASTIC!! new
      #292485 - 12/04/06 07:50 PM
atomic rose

*whistles!*

Seriously... that's a great length for you. Love it, pretty woman!

And you know I'm over here laughing at Harley. LOL!! I just can't help it. His snarly face is too cute!

Re: Oh! It looks FANTASTIC!! new
      #292505 - 12/05/06 07:23 AM
michele

Thanks Casey. I'm really starting to like it! I washed it yesterday morning and tucked it behind my ears all day and it was cute. I got up this am and didn't feel like showering, so just washed up and before I even combed it, Will says, wow, your hair looks great! I just shook it out and sprayed it a bit and it does look pretty good, especially for not washing it today!

Harley looks ferocious but is actually the most sweet and gently thing ever! Oliver can be a little devil sometimes but he is also sweet when he wants his belly rubbed! I got Oliver a red sweater and he looks adorable in it, I'll try to post some more pictures later!

--------------------

Re: Oh! It looks FANTASTIC!! new
      #292572 - 12/05/06 12:26 PM
atomic rose

I know all about Harley's not-so-ferocious nature... but the combination of the bow and the snarly teeth is just too much! I'm not surprised about Oliver, either - it's always the innocent-looking ones... hah!

I'm so glad you're liking the new cut! I remember the first time I chopped mine off; it was down to the middle of my back, and I got it in a chin-length bob. I found out the same thing - hit it with a pick comb, maybe a little spray, and I didn't have to wash it every day. Fantastic.

Looks good, Michele! -nt- new
      #292743 - 12/06/06 09:43 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Love it Michele! new
      #293072 - 12/10/06 12:36 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Your hair do is fab, the cut and colour are both really good on you and I love your glasses too.

I can't imagine the stress of it falling out, hope you are OK. Looking good

--------------------
S.

Re: Love it Michele! new
      #293162 - 12/11/06 08:17 AM
michele

Thanks Cailin! I really do like the shorter hair but unfotunately, its still falling out! I hope it slows down soon but the medication is making me feel a bit better so I guess its worth it!

--------------------

Re: hey girl new
      #293168 - 12/11/06 08:39 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

I'm sorry to hear that. But, I did look at your new pic & your look GREAT! I miss you guys. I hope this holiday season will get better for you, just take it easy & get better! We love Michelle!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

#293189 - 12/11/06 10:47 AM
michele

Thanks kiwi, whats new in your life?

--------------------

#293777 - 12/15/06 07:20 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

same old, same old. The wedding, which keeps getting down grated. We had to cancel the reception, & go for something smaller. Wich I guess is nice, but, ya know I just wanted something more formal. I knew the day i lost my job we would be canceling the reception. But in good news, I'm getting some stuff for free, like the flowers & my hair done, & a place to have a small get together after the wedding.

Still looking for a job. At this point, it's nice just to find somewhere to apply. I'm so scared of not finding a job, it gets me down.

Found a new flavor in the Luna bars, Strawberries & cream. There's a new store that opened up, & they have a GREAT organic section, which I love.
Today, I'm just gonna take shower, wash my hair, shave my legs & chill. Of course that will be after I excersize. My honey & I are going to the Olive garden tonight, & then we'll watch 'The Devil Wears Prada',
which looks really good.

Ok, I'm done, how about you? give me some good news!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Devil Wears Prada new
      #293778 - 12/15/06 07:23 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

You'll love it. I watched it last night and thought it was really good. Of course, not as good as the book, but they did a really good job with it!!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#293782 - 12/15/06 07:47 AM
michele

Sorry to hear the reception got downgraded. You know, our reception was in a boat house up north, we cooked our own food, had about 40 people and had a ball!

I couldn't imagine having to find a job in the market today. Good luck.

Have fun on your date tonight. I loved the devil wears prada but of course, the book was better!

--------------------

Re: Devil Wears Prada new
      #293783 - 12/15/06 07:48 AM
michele

hehe, i just said the same thing before I read your post!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22625

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review