All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
My hair is falling out
      #291403 - 11/27/06 09:16 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Well, its official, I can not pretend its just normal shedding any longer. The rheumy upped the dose of my mtx last week which has made me horribly sick and tired and its making my hair fall out even more. I would say I've lost a good 1/5 of my hair. Supposedly, you aren't supposed to lose it all when on the dose I'm on but my goodness, ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

I have always had very thin, fine hair but lots of it. Well, now its just thin and fine. Its very long, past the middle of my back but I'm afraid I will have to cut it off before too long.

Isn't it enough that I'm sick and have to take these crappy drugs????? The drugs do seem to be slowing down the ra, the swelling is less and the over all pain is less. However, I'm SOOO tired and weak and achy and cranky and nausous and this D 20 times a day has got to stop!!! GRRRRR!!!

Ok, rant over. Had to get that out, thanks. Will has been a dear and says he will love me even if I'm bald! He has been helping around the house and cooking and such. I really need to get the house cleaned up and want to put up my Christmas decorations since we didn't do it last year. We got home late Saturday and all I could do Sunday was sleep.

I think part of it is this is the time I lost my baby twin girls last year. I keep trying not to dwell on it and love my puppies but I just feel so physically and emotionally drained. I miss my babies. I know there are people who have it worse than me and I hate having these little pity parties but damn it, haven't I suffered eough????

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My hair is falling out new
      #291405 - 11/27/06 09:24 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

*HUG* michelle- would you like some funky hats? I know having some helped Bill's stepmom when she lost her hair, and same with his sister in laws mom... another option is a good wig... *HUG* it is possible to still look pretty despite it all, and I know that will help raise at least some of your spirits.. I am so sorry you are going through all this!

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#291407 - 11/27/06 09:45 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm really sorry to hear this, Michele. As khyricat says, funky, fun, pretty, flirty hats can help.

If you're going to be on the mtx long-term and think the hair loss will continue, you might consider a wig. I figured if I was going to lose my hair anyhow I wanted a little control and had the wig lady just take it all off. (I also played around with different colors and styles in wigs and discovered that despite my life-long dreams of being a strawberry blonde I looked like old cheese with that color hair.)

I'm glad the mtx is helping your RA symptoms but sorry the side-effects are proving to be so miserable. Please take it easy on yourself - you simply may not be able to do everything you want so take it a little at a time.

Remembering there are other people who are worse off is great for perspective, but it doesn't really make what you're going through any easier. I'd say you're more than entitled to a pity party from time to time. If I were going through what you are, I'd spend all my time curled up crying.

Please take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#291410 - 11/27/06 10:03 AM
michele

Thanks Sand. I honestly don't think I could do a wig. My body temperature doesn't regulate well and I'm often extremely hot and I think the wig would make me hotter. I think if the hair loss continues, I will cut it short and see what happens. Because I've been on the steroids so long, my face has that moon shape to it and I'm carrying extra weight from them as well so don't think short hair is going to be very flattering but I guess its better than having to follow myself around with the dust buster sucking up all the strays!

--------------------

#291412 - 11/27/06 10:06 AM
michele

Thanks Amie. As I just posted to Sand, I don't think I could do a wig. I have a very little head, especially when compared to the rest of me!! Most adult hats are too big for me!

--------------------

#291453 - 11/27/06 01:18 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

*HUG* if you want- put a tape measure around your head and tell me what diameter to make a cap and I'll try to make you something fun, cute and NOT warm...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#291462 - 11/27/06 01:45 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Michele,

I am so sorry to hear about your hair - that must be distressing for you. The other ladies have already mentioned the hats and wig idea that I thought of at first, so I will have to try and think of another idea for you.
Hopefully you can find some cute hats that are small enough for your head - especially in winter, there seems to be a lot out there right now.

I'm glad Will is being supportive and you aren't pushing yourself too hard - remember to take it easy and let your body do what is has to so you can feel good.

**hugs**
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#291470 - 11/27/06 02:16 PM
michele

Thanks Steph. Its just so hard with the holidays and everything. I feel like a big lump on the couch most of the time.

--------------------

#291471 - 11/27/06 02:17 PM
michele

Thanks Amie. I just measured around my head, just above my ears and its 22 inches. I have no idea how they measure for hats but I know all the ones I try on are too big!

--------------------

#291476 - 11/27/06 03:15 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hi Michelle, I am sorry to hear that you are going through hair loss - you are such an inspiration as you always have a cheerful tone even when going through health difficulties. You are truly blessed with a wonderfully supportive and loving husband - I send you prayers and hugs as you let your body rest and repair! Debbie IBS-A

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 503 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22854

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review