All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
My boss is an idiot!
      #291017 - 11/22/06 09:48 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Ok, I just have to vent. I told my boss about my ibs a while ago, but I've been doing so well, it hasn't been an issue since he started. Mostly I have problems in the morning but am better by the time I get to work and it doesn't interfere (and I don't talk about it much because it's so personal). I'm a journalist and I'm supposed to do a story about these crazy people who go to stores at ungodly hours the day after Thanksgiving. I planned to go at 6 a.m. It was pushing it, but I thought I could do it if I got up early enough and did everything just right.

Then he tells me that his boss is mandating that someone be out there at 4:30 a.m. - and that early I know I can't handle. (Waiting in a parking lot? No bathroom?!) He didn't want to hear it at all. I don't know if he thought I was lying or exaggerating to get out of it or what. I told him I was willing to try but no guarantees, but that wasn't good enough. He then scolded me for putting *him* in a bad position because he'd have to ask someone else.

Of course, I lose it and end up crying, so unprofessional. I ended up asking a co-worker to do it, who agreed, but made it clear she was mad about it. So now I've got two people annoyed with me.

So... I'm having my doctor fax me a note saying it's a legitimate condition. I plan on giving my boss some ibs info, too. I just don't know what else to do. During our conversation I said something about how I was worried this would reflect poorly upon me and he said "it will." I'm just shocked. How could someone be so heartless?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My boss is an idiot! new
      #291019 - 11/23/06 05:02 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

You are correct! Your boss is also not very understanding of a medical condition and only worried about his image and not your health! My bosses (5 men) would never do anything like that! They are very understanding about my ibs and attacks etc. (I've worked here for 5.5 years - they've seen me at my best and worst)
I'm happy you found someone else to do the article, even if she is unhappy about it. Your health is more important than anyone's opinion!

Hope you have a good day.

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#291031 - 11/23/06 08:26 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm sorry your boss is being such a jerk. Maybe you could talk to Human Resources about this. They might be able to talk to your boss or - at a minimum - at least you'd have on record about your IBS and the fact you tried to address it with your boss.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#291104 - 11/24/06 11:07 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

I am so sorry you had to go through that! I know what it's like to have an unsympathetic employer, and my heart goes out to you. I would talk to your H/R dept, and look into getting FMLA, then your boss can't get away with treating you like that. Hope things get better soon!

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

#291172 - 11/24/06 07:58 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Ugh! I'm so sorry that your boss is such a jerk. You're definitely doing the right thing by getting a doctor's note. And I agree with Sand -- make sure you go to HR, too.

Don't you wish you had "the IBS touch", where if you touched someone he'd have IBS for a day and would know what it was like? Although I guess this would put a serious crimp in your romantic life.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#291178 - 11/25/06 12:06 AM
Sufie

Reged: 10/14/06

Your boss is an ass to put it lightly. Sorry about your difficult day. I have worked primarily in HR for a living and I know for a fact that you need to report this. You should not have to justify your condition and you are going a step beyond what is necessary to get him to understand your situation. You need to document this incident yourself, sign the document and take it to HR. If he retaliates you can always take action. Research the Employment Development Department website and the Department of Labor website. You may find some answers there.

Best,

Sufie

Thanks... new
      #291545 - 11/27/06 09:36 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Thanks for all the advice. I got the note and tomorrow I'm going to sit down with him and talk about it (hr in our company kisses management's butt, that would be a dangerous move.) Wish me luck. What is FMLA though?

Re: Thanks... new
      #291546 - 11/28/06 03:34 AM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

Family medical leave act. It protects those with a serious health condition so they aren't forced to work outside their restrictions. You can miss up to 3 months work per year (more or less)....defintaley go to HR.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 120 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1386

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review