All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
is anyone here a nutritionist/dietician or studying to be such?
      #290286 - 11/16/06 12:56 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I thought I remembered some people on the boards doing this, but don't recall who... with my background at finding and making recipes that are safe for people with various food issues, I have been thinking about going back to school... and my current project- working on finding a good diet for one of our gliders who can't survive on most of the approved diets for them due to several issues.. right now she is living on syringefulls of ensure and some fruits and veggies, but I need to do better for her... anyway, it has inspired me to look at a carreer change possibly.. but I wanted to talk to people who were in the field and before I go elsewhere I thought I remembered someone here being in the field..

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: is anyone here a nutritionist/dietician or studying to be such? new
      #290831 - 11/21/06 10:19 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

The only thread I could find was this one where Augie says that Kate should be a nutritionist or dieticianweb page and Kate (aka Wind) says.....

Quote:

I'll go back to my original plan/path which was to become a HOLISTIC HEALTH PRACTITIONER

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

I think Daliatree was doing something along these lines. -nt- new
      #290846 - 11/21/06 11:54 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

thanks guys.. I think it was Dalia.. *sigh* she hasn't been here new
      #290908 - 11/21/06 07:09 PM
khyricat

recently either.. but I think I have an email address for her somewhere- just got to go find it..

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#291002 - 11/22/06 07:10 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Helloooo
I just happened to be lurking on the board (had a quick second because I am away for thankgiving...usually things have become too insane for me!). lovely to see you all on the board again!
I am a nutritionist and about one year away from being a registered dietitian. they are two different things, kind of. basically, anyone can call themself a nutritionist becuase it isn't legally bound enough,so all you need is to take some certification courses and then you can call yourself one, or a holistic health practitioner, or nutrition counselor etc. You get the picture.
It isn't very well regulated though, so if you go to a nutritionist, sometimes they can be excellent because they take the trouble to be up on all the research and are very well trained OR you can get someone who has just taken a weekend course and they don't really know what they're doing.
The only organisation nationwide that regulates this kind of thing is the American Dietetic Association which trains and certifies registered dietitians; those of us who work in hospitals and private practise. This is your safest best in the sense that it means that these practitioners have a science background, but on the other hand, the ADA does hardly any holistic training, are very old school (with their food guide pyramid, which lets face it, doesn't work).
So the crux of the issue is this: I decided to train as a registered dietitian because I want my patients to be able to claim under insurance, to feel safe with me re: my education etc. But when I practise I am extremely holistic and naturopathic while also being conventional e.g. seeing their bloods etc.
So if you want to train to be a nutritionist, you need to think about how much time you are willing to commit to it.I will say this: It is the best career if you are passionate about food and nutrition and health. I absolutely adore what I do. Its my life. It is faster to become a nutritionist then an RD.
Hope this helps and hope you are well!!!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#291404 - 11/27/06 09:22 AM
khyricat

Thanks Dalia- can you email me? amieritchie at comcast.net?? I'd love to talk to you more.. The program I am looking at is one of the highest rated RD programs per the ADA apparently... its actually the Dietician program because I can't see going halfway, at least not here.. it would mean taking 3 prereq classes I don't have from my other degree (possible even through a community college) then 2 years (or the equivelant in part time) of online coursework... I figure I can still work my current job and go to school and then when I finish start in the field, though that may change if I can get the training and cert as a nutritionist sooner and then follow your path instead.

Part of what I want to do with this will require the RD... part of it would work as a nutritionist, but because of the former I just want to go for it and get all the training I can....

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#291419 - 11/27/06 10:20 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

Which program are you looking at, khyricat? I am also considering this career path. You do the whole program on line? This degree requires an internship too...usually unpaid.

Oh, what are the prerequisites?

Dialatree.....do you have any older men or women in your class or are they all young? I think I may be "too old" to start into this. I never see any dieticians over the age of 35!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

#291452 - 11/27/06 01:17 PM
khyricat

all the coursework (not internship) from 3rd year on (all the specialized parts) are online- its through eastern MI university... the parts I don't have from my current degree are the biochem and biology...

this is the link for the program's home page

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 353 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1690

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review