All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
As the foot heals...
      #290110 - 11/14/06 06:30 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Another episode in my on-going saga to wear shoes and walk again....

Surgery was Sept. 26 to remove a bunionnette on my right foot.

Update - Oct. 30th spent the night at emerg because my incision split. Was sent home - keep it clean and don't walk on it.

Today - surgeon follow-up appt. Surgeon could not believe that the emerg dr. sent me home without suture taping my foot back together. I am now on some heavy anitbiotics 500mg 4 times a day and I'm sutured back together again (who said you can't fix humpty-dumpty!) I have to be off my foot another week and go back for another check-up next Tues. Can't even wet my footie! Back to plastic baggies in the shower. The surgeon said I've done a wonderful job of keeping the wound clean at least. Thank heavens! The alternative would be iv antibiotics everyday at the hospital. No thanks!
So another week on crutches, no shoe, no weight, no driving, no washing or soaking (I wash it with a damp face cloth only), and my dear husband being my porter, chauffer, doorman and chef. Such a wonderful guy!! Gotta love 'im!

The weekend away was interesting on crutches, but thanks to Target, Walmart and Menards for their courtesy buggies and wheelchairs!! I still managed a good deal of shopping despite the ill foot.

TTFN, bedtime!!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: As the foot heals... new
      #290176 - 11/15/06 09:07 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Well, congrats on getting lots of shopping done despite the foot! I hope it heals up soon and you can be rid of the crutches, those things are awful!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

I can certainly relate!!! new
      #290179 - 11/15/06 09:18 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Eight weeks after my foot surgery, and I'm still in pain and not able to do a lot. Like you said, thank goodness for those stores that have the motorized carts! I just wish they all had them. I went to TJ Maxx Saturday and walked around without my boot cast (in my shoes), and I have paid for it ever since with pain and swelling. I was back to the boot cast yesterday, and now my back is killing me!!!

I hope you heal soon, because I know how this inconveniences you! At least you didn't have a son who injured his knee shortly afterwards and had to have surgery too! I think my problem is I should've been resting, but I had to wait on him once he had his surgery. If I didn't do it, who was going to? The fairy godmother????

Actually, I think this has been good for my husband. He now realizes what I used to do all day. His vision of me sitting at home all day, reading a novel and eating bon-bons has vanished! HA!

Get well soon!

Re: I can certainly relate!!! new
      #290223 - 11/15/06 04:43 PM
Toady

I boot cast?! Devine!! I'm fully non-weight bearing - a walking foot would be novel! Hopefully only for another week. The antibiotics are reeking havoc on my system - D, etc. I feel your pain - 8 weeks on crutches is getting a little old.

Forgot to mention the surgeon believes that not healing has to due with autoimmune probs, but won't order any more tests as the last one came back clear. GRRRRRrrrrrr....

Glad to hear your DH is a big help, especially with your son to attend to as well!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Footie update new
      #290863 - 11/21/06 01:19 PM
Toady

Well, my surgeon is pleased - my foot is healing, but not enough to allow walking yet. Grrrr crutches for ANOTHER 2 weeks - that will be 10 weeks total. Plus another round of the hefty Celephanx antibiotics for 10 days. I am allowed to soak and clean it and try to remove the dead skin. Ugh.

Not exactly what I was hoping for, but it is an improvement.
My tum is actually getting used to the antibiotics too so I don't feel like I have the flu all the time.

It was an adventerous morning at the hospital. I was in the fracture clinic, my sis-in-law was having a minor procedure, my grandma was also coming to the fracture clinic for the elbow, and my dear mom was in emerg. My mom was diagnosed with a non-bleeding brain aneurysm on Friday and has been really, really sick over the last while with migraines, nausea, dizzyiness and a numb face. Today it was really bad so my brother brought her to emerg. After I finished my appt. I hobbled down to see her. I'm scared to death for her right now! If she sneezes it could cause a bleed, and throwing up is 10 times worse than sneezing, and she's been sick all morning. The ever-so unhelpful dr. at emerg gave her gravol and told her she is suffering from a bought of vertigo, likely Meunier's disease (sp?). And he sent her home. No other tests on the aneurysm. Good grief!! Somebody figure this out soon!! An aneurysm vs Meunier's is a lot different!! Anyways, I'm more worried about my mom than my foot. Sorry, I'm a little frantic.
We should qualify for the family rate on the parking at the hospital!

Love y'all!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Re: Footie update new
      #290936 - 11/22/06 07:33 AM
michele

Oh sweetie, there should definitely be a family discount!! I can't believe the doctors didn't do any further testing. Can you call the doc that dx her with the aneurysm and ask them if they can check it again? Love and hugs

--------------------

#290947 - 11/22/06 09:16 AM
Toady

My mom goes to her family dr. today at 1:30 to follow up on the aneurysm thank goodness. I still can't believe that the emerg. dr only gave her gravol, checked her vitals and once the gravol took effect sent her home. She slept from 11:30 yesterday morning until 8 am today and was only up twice for a light snack. She sounds much better today, but we will know more after her appt. I swear the dr's here are lazy! Same with when I went to emerg after my foot split - didn't bother to suture it, just sent me home.

Thanks for the support Michele! BTW, hows the jaw?

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

#290950 - 11/22/06 09:41 AM
michele

Glad to hear your mom has a fallow up appt today!! Having to go to the er is pretty much usless unless you are dying! LOL! If you are not bleeding to death, they shot you up with some happy juice and send you home!

The jaw is slowly improving. I can open it about 3/4 of the way but it still hurts to chew a lot. The bite splint is helping to relieve the pain a bit.

--------------------

Michele new
      #291020 - 11/23/06 05:04 AM
Toady

My mom's MRI is until Dec 12 so they have her on a waiting list too. They prescribed something for the dizziness and nausea and she is off work until she finds out more of what the next steps will be.
She sounded really good last night, but so much can change quickly!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 473 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1196

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review