Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
anyone out there on disability?
      #289894 - 11/13/06 10:10 AM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

Hi all,

Please help me. I have been feeling so awful lately, I can barely move. I'm thinking it's more than UC and IBS. I have no energy, I have to take a nap to get through the day.

I am not a wimp. For me to be like this, it's bad.

I'm just wondering if anyone has looked into or is on disability.

I do not have health insurance and am unable to go to the doctor. However, I found a clinic that bases your payment on your $$ situation. I have an appt there tomorrow. I'm just hoping the doc there is competent! I never thought I'd be in such a predictament, but you guys all know how things escalate with your health, etc.

Please help. Thanks
--Brenda

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: further thought new
      #289905 - 11/13/06 11:06 AM
Brendarific

Quote:

Hi all,

Please help me. I have been feeling so awful lately, I can barely move. I'm thinking it's more than UC and IBS. I have no energy, I have to take a nap to get through the day.

I am not a wimp. For me to be like this, it's bad.

I'm just wondering if anyone has looked into or is on disability.

I do not have health insurance and am unable to go to the doctor. However, I found a clinic that bases your payment on your $$ situation. I have an appt there tomorrow. I'm just hoping the doc there is competent! I never thought I'd be in such a predictament, but you guys all know how things escalate with your health, etc.

Please help. Thanks
--Brenda

These are my symptoms, there's something new every day, but this is most of it. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions what's wrong?

*constantly exhausted
*5-6 bathroom D visits each night (cuts into my sleep)
*aches and pains for no reason -- right now my shin feels like someone hit me with a baseball bat, but there's no bruise!
*often have such cold spells that I cannot get warm, even under multi, multi layers of coats, clothes and blankets.
*and then, hot flashes that make me rip the covers off in the middle of the night!
*ridiculous weight gain - I'm at 123 lbs and I'm 5' 7" -- I haven't been this size since high school, and it does not feel healthy. I was 140 three months ago.
*no strength-probably from the weight loss, but also like in my hands - can't open a pickle jar!

I probably left something out, but this is what's going on. I just feel "off" and can't live my life like I want. Just doing some laundry and picking up around the house wears me out. I have to lie down. Going up a flight of stairs can leave me winded. I "used to" feel bad often but after a week or so, it was followed by several weeks of remission, I guess you say, of feeling great/normal.

I'm just worried about myself! My stupid insurance situation doesn't help either. THe only way I can get insurance is to get a job at a large company where they "have to" accept me. I cannot get ins on my own because of pre existing condition of ulcerative colitis. THere's no way I can hold a job right now. I can't even get my laundry done!

Thoughts, please. Thanks, everyone!

--------------------

#289913 - 11/13/06 11:56 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Have you been checked for auto-immune disorders? Have they ruled out Crohns?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#289928 - 11/13/06 02:15 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I would get some regular blood work to rule out somethings like iron deficiency or B12, platelets (sp?) and just anything in general that could affect your energy.

I wouldn't be surprised if you are dehydrated from so much D. You need to do more than just drink water to rehydrate, you need to replenish electrolytes. Eating something like a safe soup would help.

I hope you can see a doctor and get things figured out and start feeling better.

--------------------
Kat

Michele & Kat... new
      #289969 - 11/13/06 07:56 PM
Brendarific

Thanks for your suggestions, gals. Michele, I just briefly read about auto immune disorders and it sounds possible. And Kat, yes I am often dehydrated; I can tell by looking at the skin on the back of my hands.

My doc appt got moved to Wednesday instead of tommorrow. I hope it's a good one.

Thanks guys for replying. I appreciate it. That's what makes this board really great.

--------------------

Re: Michele & Kat... new
      #289990 - 11/14/06 05:58 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Wednesday's almost here.. I really hope you get some relief.

Here's wishing a good doc's appt for Wednesday!

--------------------
Kat

UPDATE... new
      #290610 - 11/19/06 02:39 PM
Brendarific

It's been a little crazy since Wednesday's appt. They tested my hemoglobin level on the spot, and it was 6.1. It should be between 12-15. Ack! Last time I was low, it was at 4, and they straightfaced told me I should be dead at that level. Luckily, 6.1 is a little better. So, they also did another blood test that they called me in to review the results of at 8 on Friday morning. Seems many of my blood levels were REALLY low. They sent me straight over to the ER for a transfusion of 2 units. So I sat and watched daytime TV for more than 8 hours straight while not able to get comfy in an ER cot. However, I am very thankful for the blood. Almost immediately my skin pinked up, my fingernail beds turned from white to pink and I suddenly got hungry! It was really nice to be served food, instead of trying to make it for myself when I could barely stand up!

We are still tackling my ulcerative colitis problem. The clinic did not have a gastro doc on staff, and talk is, they want to send me to Cook County Hospital in Chicago, because it is no-cost there. I don't know how that will work exactly. Not having insurance really sucks, so let me preach:

***If you ever lose your job and are offered COBRA insurance, TAKE IT no matter how much it costs! Find a way to pay for it. It's worth it in the long run! If you do not take it, there is a good chance you will be denied insurance if you try to get it on your own. This is my predictament!

***And, on a positive note, please encourage those you know who can, to give blood. I am so thankful for the blood I received this time, and the time before. It really saved my life. It's only a pin prick and a few minutes of your time when you give blood, and it's a good thing to do!

OK, off the soapbox. Today I'm feeling better as far as energy goes. I'm trying not to overdo it though. It's a little weird having energy to do what needs to be done. (And trust me after the last few weeks of me being a sick bump on a log, there's plenty to catch up on around here.)

My UC has been docile for the last day, I gotta think about whether I really want to go to Cook County Hospital or not, but I have to do something.

Thanks for reading my blabber! Take care, all!

----------------------------------------------

--------------------

Re: UPDATE... new
      #290669 - 11/20/06 07:29 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Wow, that is low, mine was 8 a few months back and I felt awful! Lets hope you will be on the road to recovery now! Feel better soon!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: UPDATE... new
      #291010 - 11/22/06 08:11 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Geez! I'm glad you went to the doctor. Sounds scary! Did they know why your blood levels were so low? Something to do with the UC?

How are you doing now? Did you decide to go to the hospital? I hope you're still feeling better.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 768 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2781

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review