All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone taken Oxycodene or Hydrocodene?
      #289607 - 11/10/06 09:19 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Our son had knee reconstruction surgery a week ago (to repair a torn ACL and ligaments.) He has been on Oxycodene (Oxycod/APAP 5-500) for the past week (with 2 Advil) for pain. We started out with 2 tablets every 4-6 hours, and now he is going 8 hours between doses (with the Advil too.)

He is almost out of his medicine, and they have given him a new prescription for Hydroco/APAP 5-500m---1 to 2 tablets every 4-6 hours as needed. I think this is the same as Vicodin or Lortab.

I know he needs some pain medicine to get through the physical therapy he's undergoing, but I am TERRIFIED that he will become addicted to these narcotic pain meds if he takes them around the clock.

Has anyone had to take them around the clock for awhile and then gotten off of them safely? How do I go about weaning him off of them?

I have gotten into trouble before (twice, after surgery) when I stopped taking the pain meds. I had terrible D, shakes, panic attacks, and insomnia. And once, this all led to a horrible depression.

Can someone calm my fears? I don't want the same to happen to him, but I don't want to withhold the medicine if he really needs it.

Is the Hydroco/APAP 5-500 M a small dose or a large one? Any side effects that I should be aware of?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Always the worrying mom!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone taken Oxycodene or Hydrocodene? new
      #289615 - 11/10/06 10:41 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, the 5-500's are a medium-dose painkiller. I've been on 7.5-750's before. Everyone's different - I had no problems whatsoever while I was on them, and no problems at all going off them. I just stopped taking them when I didn't need them anymore. Not everyone gets hooked on them, thank goodness.

I wouldn't worry about your son; it's normal to be concerned, but on the other hand, it's really cruel to withhold pain medication from someone who needs it, for any reason. If he goes through withdrawal, it's still worth it, rather than being in ridiculous amounts of pain.

#289618 - 11/10/06 10:52 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I've taken both several times over the past year for five different surgeries. It was only the last two surgeries that I got into trouble and had a hard time getting off them. Once I stopped trying to do cold-turkey it actually didn't end up being too bad -- I split the pills in half and kept taking smaller and smaller doses until I was finally off. I would have him do the same thing. Take the minimum dose to ease his pain (and make sure he's still taking the Advil regularly) and have him work his way down gradually.

If this is the first time (or even the first time in awhile) that he's taken them, he will probably be okay. But it's good that you're thinking ahead and being cautious.

I hope he starts feeling better soon.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#289629 - 11/10/06 11:39 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I agree, its normal to worry but not everyone gets addictted. Some days I take up to 8 vicodin or percocet and other days, I take none at all. It all just depends on my pain that day. As long as he is ONLY taking them for the pain, his chances of geting addicted are low.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Jen new
      #289642 - 11/10/06 01:16 PM
BL

Thanks for your input. It's encouraging to know that not everyone has horrible problems like I did. I think my problem was that I didn't realize you needed to wean off of it gradually, and I just stopped it abruptly (no one told me!)

I wish I could cut his pills in half, but they're capsules so I can't do that~!

Michele new
      #289644 - 11/10/06 01:17 PM
BL

I'm glad to know that you can take these as needed. Do you find that they make you sleepy?

Oh yes. new
      #289645 - 11/10/06 01:19 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

That's what I take, 120 tablets of hydrocodone 5/500 a month. They're fine to get off of, and actually they are a low dose.

I take 4 a day, and have taken myself off of them 4 or 5 times this year. I get a little ache in my legs for a day, and a little snippy the day after I stop taking them, that's it.

~nelly~

Casey new
      #289647 - 11/10/06 01:21 PM
BL

Thanks so much for your input. I'm not being cruel and withholding it from him. It's just that I have noticed the last several days that he is sleeping soundly (after it wears off) and when he wakes up, he doesn't seem to need it. So I thinking maybe it's time to start spacing the doses out further. He's doing so much better than before!

And Casey, I am so sorry about your Dad. I know you loved him dearly, and that this has been a really difficult time for you. I'm glad Adam is going to be there with you soon. Take care and know that I'm praying for you. I will be thinking about you tomorrow. I know the service will be hard. (((Big hug))))

Re: Michele new
      #289654 - 11/10/06 01:34 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

They did at first but I've taken them on and off for so many years now that they usually don't. I can take 2 while at work and still function fine, well, as fine as ever!!

They may make him C though, stool softners are a good answer if they do!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#289676 - 11/10/06 03:32 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I've taken Oxy, but found it didn't agree to well with me. I was waaaayyyyy too spacey (yes, more than usual ). I have been on morphine however for three weeks after surgery - granted only up to 20 mg per dose up to 6 times a day - and I didn't get addicted. I wait until my pain is enough that I'm in pain and not just taking them because it has been 4 or 6 hours. They are great if I need a good night's sleep and I'm in a lot of pain. Nightie-nightie!! Out like a light!

I don't think your son will become addicted as long as he continues to use them only for pain. I'm sad you had such a terrible experience yourself. I went through the same with anti-depressants once. Yes, he will need the pain relievers when he gets into physio!

Best of luck for his recovery!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 129 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2315

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review