All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How do I make friends?
      #289545 - 11/09/06 06:39 PM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

I am single and have like no friends. My only social contact is when I am at work.

How does a grown, adult woman make friends? I want to do things with people...go to the movies, go to see museums or Christmas festivals. It was so easy when I was in school...people where always around.

I know it sounds pathetic, but how do I make friends? Especially with limitations of IBS?

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do I make friends? new
      #289551 - 11/09/06 07:03 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I certainly don't have all the answers, but one thing for sure is that you need to get out and be seen. You can go to a bookstore, coffee pub (but order peppermint tea ). If you have any hobbies, maybe you can join a group or club, or get a membership at a gym - many people, especially guys would be happy to help you if you have any questions about a certain machine or exercise.
HTH

Just wanted to add new
      #289553 - 11/09/06 07:11 PM
Jordy

My church has no singles group and anyone I do know is married, has kids, and wants to spend any free time with their families. It's hard being a single adult woman!

--------------------

#289555 - 11/09/06 07:13 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Do you attend a church? How about some volunteer work? Gracie has some good ideas about clubs and hobbies. And I have found that if I am upfront about my ibs with folks from the start its better. Especially if we plan on some dinner or a night out.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#289556 - 11/09/06 07:14 PM
Jordy

Quote:

You can go to a bookstore, coffee pub

Go alone?

Thanks for the suggestions Gracie. I really can't afford a gym membership.

Do you know where I could find a club or a group? I am so stupid when it comes to this!

You're right though. I have to get out of this apartment and be seen somehow!

--------------------

I would love to volunteer somewhere new
      #289557 - 11/09/06 07:18 PM
Jordy

...but believe it or not, I can't find anyplace nearby to volunteer. Seriously. I've been googling all day trying find a place to serve Thanksgiving dinner...and I come up with nothing. Maybe because I don't live in a city?

My church is basically all retired people or young, single couples with kids. Not much in between!

thank you for responding!

--------------------

Re: I would love to volunteer somewhere new
      #289559 - 11/09/06 07:31 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Talk to the leadership in your church about starting a singles group. Certainly there are singles out there that you unaware of. And ask your clergy about volunteering somewhere. They will know of many places that would be grateful for your help and service. There is the Girls Scout of America who are always in need of good help.

Are there other single ladies at work? Do they go out?

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#289579 - 11/09/06 09:32 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

You can certainly go alone to a bookstore, or coffee pub. When you go to the coffee pub, take a magazine or a book with you. At the bookstore, or library there might be book clubs you can join...you can start a conversation with someone about how they like the book they're reading, or if they can recommend something for you. You can also check the newspaper, and phone book yellow pages, or local college or university for different clubs or groups with similar interests. How about an art class, or painting, or pottery?

#289633 - 11/10/06 12:08 PM
Lumiere

Reged: 06/30/06
Loc: New England

Hi Jordy...I too found it hard to make friends, being new to the area.(I found it can take at least a year to meet quality people) I also wanted to volunteer and "give back" so I added my info to www.volunteermatch.org (or .com, can't remember) I also went to www.idealist.com and put my info in there. You put your interests and your town/city and they email you opportunities. You could also look in your yellow pages under "social" for other volunteering ideas. Another idea is to join lava life or plentyoffish.com and you can place an ad searching for female friends/common interest buddies... Don't despair...You will make friends, it's just as an adult it takes longer. When we were in school we were forced to be friendly and hang out. (We didn't have the choice!) So, celebrate your uniqueness and have interests to be "interesting" to others...the friends will come. You sound like a good friend to have!

--------------------
Amy
IBS-A
Stable and thankful!

Re: I would love to volunteer somewhere new
      #289643 - 11/10/06 01:17 PM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Your church may not have a singles group but maybe another local church does have one. I live in a very small town and the largest church in town has a singles group that has quite a few denominations participating. Like someone else said you could look into starting one in your town.

As for volunteering, if you have a hospital close they are usually begging for help. Maybe you'll meet some fun hospital workers.

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1361

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review