All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
aggravated
      #287722 - 10/24/06 11:43 AM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

hey everyone.. my ssi lawyer just called me and told me to make sure i get into counseling.. but im not depressed, and the only time i am is when im in major pain so i think thats normal...so why is she trying to make me do it?..the last counselor i seen said i was wasting her time cause i had nothing to talk about and the stuff she did talk about was stuff i preferred not to talk about.. i just dont feel comfortable talking to people i dont know..i have friends for that..
and also she said here in ohio the courts are 18 months behind.. and im waiting on a court date.. they sent out the request in april so its been 5 months..does that mean i wont get a court date for another 18 months or something? im confused. i dont know what to do cause i dont feel i need counseling but im afraid if i dont do it, they wont give me ssi.. i have enough physical things wrong.. what do you all think i should do and what does she mean the courts are behind 18 months?

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: aggravated new
      #287729 - 10/24/06 01:08 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Ask for clarification. Ask her if your chances for SSI will be affected by whether you have had counselling or not. Ask how long she think it'll be till you get into court and what are the important things you should be doing in the meantime to improve your case.
Maybe she's insisting on the counselling because it could help your case??? I don't know. Tell her the truth - that counselling has not worked well in the past, because you're uncomfortable talking about things.
In defense of the counselling thing - I think any good counselor realizes that it takes time for some people to feel comfortable enough to open up about the really bad things. I know it took me a while before I could trust my counselor and really open up - and even then, it's not easy, hon. Lets face it, the tough stuff is hard to talk about and deal with. We often bottle it up for a reason! It hurts!!!
Hugs, A.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#287734 - 10/24/06 01:49 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

Counseling does not only have to be about depression but can also help with coping with chronic illness. I don't know what your physical problems are but a variety of treatments - physical therapy, pain management, biofeedback, relaxation therapy etc. will not only help your case, but might benefit you. Plus relationships are often strained when someone has a chronic illness and therapy can help there too. You really want to find a therapist who deals with issues of chronic illness. I think cognitive behavioral therapy is especially useful. That is where you learn to change your thoughts and behaviors. It is very here and now and aimed at helping you function better. Try to be a little open toward this as it can be very helpful.

I am receiving Social Security Disability and the more treatment you receive, the more diagnoses you have with good documentation, the better your case. Also when filling out the papers on how you function, answer the questions on what it is like on your worst day, not your best. My husband filled out his assessment of me and I wanted to cry it sounded so bad. I said, "honey, am I really that way?" and he answered, "yes, on your bad days." I had an 8 year history of being sick and receiving treatments before I applied and so I had a pretty good history of attempts to work and then getting sick. I was granted social security without having to appeal or go to court.

I hope you get your SSI (I hear that is often harder than plain social security) and I also hope you feel better. Being sick is the pits. Plus when you do get approved, you will get back payment. Hang in there.

#287738 - 10/24/06 02:14 PM
chely24

Reged: 02/22/06
Loc: ohio

Thanks for the replies!.. i have fibromyalgia, ibs, vertigo, high blood pressure, hypothyroidism, asthma, and mild cerebral palsy..
when i was seeing a counselor she acted like she didnt know what she was doing, she kept bringing up panic attacks when ive never had any.. im usually a happy person except on my bad days.. so im wondering if i just seen a type of counselor for pain management or something if that would help my case? she did say seeing a counselor will help..but its hard finding things to talk about, i feel the counselor can be seeing someone else who really needs to talk, while im in there looking stupid not sure what to talk about.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/rachelle423

#287745 - 10/24/06 03:02 PM
Portageegal

Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: Massachusetts

The counseling will help you get SSI. It seems they don't care much about the physical stuff, but if you have any psychological problems it opens the doors. I've been there, it's a bitch, but you have to keep trying. Good luck.

--------------------
Carol

nós somos o que nós somos e o descanso é merda

Re: Hey, Chely.... new
      #287822 - 10/25/06 06:31 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Is there such thing as a course on pain management that you can take? There's pretty much courses for everything else out there... just a thought. Might be more useful to you than a counsellor. Check your local health unit, or the state for options.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1312 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1706

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review