All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Meds - loss of libido? Is this common for everyone?
      #285196 - 10/04/06 12:35 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Hi, Loss of libido - i hear this as such a common side effect for celexa, zoloft, prozac, effexor, etc. How does everyone deal with this? Physical connection is such a great part of being human? It is one of the ways that my husband and I connect throughout our marriage. Thanks. Debbie IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Meds - loss of libido? Is this common for everyone? new
      #285201 - 10/04/06 12:46 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Not sure I can help, I haven't felt good in so long our recreational ativities are nill to none. If you are concerned, be sure to set up date nights, have a romantic dinner, take a hot bath together or put in a nuaghty movie if you need it

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Meds - loss of libido? Is this common for everyone? Michelle new
      #285206 - 10/04/06 12:51 PM
feelinggood

Thanks for such a fast response Michelle - I am amazed that you work at a full time job with your health issues. You are totally amazing to me! You must have an amazingly understanding husband!! I thank you for the information re: date night, etc. Debbie IBS-C

#285207 - 10/04/06 12:52 PM
feelinggood

I fear becoming asexual - I enjoy my feminie side.

#285224 - 10/04/06 02:05 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

It doesn't change who you are! As your body adjusts it will be easier. Just let your hubby know that you may need a little more "warming up" for a while!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#285244 - 10/04/06 06:18 PM
feelinggood

Aww - I see - I was afraid that way I was understanding it that I would be totally non-sexual. I really do need to try the meds - I have such anxiety that it overtakes me - I have lost alot in life because of it. Thanks. Debbie IBS-C

Re: It certainly can be! new
      #285291 - 10/05/06 07:57 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Very annoying side effect of anti-d's - for me I was on Amitripylene for 12 months or so (Elavil in the US?) and am now on Nortripylene. Both can reduce your sex drive significantly, in my case just about totally wiped it out, and also make you put on weight and be hungry more often, and for sweeter things - which makes you feel like sex even less!

In my experience the Nortripylene's effects are far less than the Amitripylene, which is great, but I've still a long way to go.

Isn't it funny how AD's can do so much that makes you feel worse?!

Hang in there, you'll get there - as anxiety is obviously a big deal in your life, deal with that first - these side effects are not good, but you need to fix your anxiety first. If your hubby loves you he'll understand, know it's not your fault, and that it's no reflection whatsoever on how much you are attracted to him. I fancy my partner more and more every day - but because I have such little sex drive I have to keep telling him to make sure he realises that!

Good luck, hang in there

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Haven't had that problem new
      #285320 - 10/05/06 10:51 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Seriously. Not even for a second, in 2 years on the meds.

It's a common side effect, but not EVERYONE gets it. And if you do get it, and it's bad enough to really bother you, talk to your doctor and see if a different med might be better. There are so many ADs on the market that it's ridiculous to be on one that gives you an undesirable side effect.

But... like I said, you might find that your libido isn't affected at all, after the initial side effects (while your body's getting used to the drug) wear off.

Re: Haven't had that problem-Atomic Rose new
      #285397 - 10/06/06 05:57 AM
feelinggood

Hi - Which meds are you on? Thanks - Debbie IBS-C

#285401 - 10/06/06 06:04 AM
Miso

Reged: 04/20/06
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

i have found with all the AD's that i have tried that wellbutrin did not cause any sex side effects, but it also didn't help with the anxiety an din fact made it worse. with zoloft, celexa and cipralex, the thing is not that i have lost my libido, because in fact it is better than before the meds, since the anxiety of my stomach and such no longer runs my brain, but that it is much harder to achieve climax, it gets to be very frustrating, yes, but in time that may go away and as as michele said you will just need more warming up. in my opinion my anxiety was making me such a different person that i would rather have a libido and enjoy sex and my bf without a climax at the end than be the person i was for the year i was off meds, as my entire life including my sex life was ba big mess. So in summary, after 3 months on cipralex my libido is fine and the sensation is good, butthe climax is very elusive. I have known this to be a side effect that can remain or go away very slowly after about 3-9 months.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1547 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1438

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review