All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Depression / Counseling
      #284191 - 09/27/06 01:09 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I am sure that there have been a lot of IBSers that have received counseling or been diagnosed with depression - so I am hoping some of you guys can help me out.

I have an appointment with my primary doctor today to discuss a possible diagnosis of depression, and possible begin antidepressants and/or counseling. From everything I've researched, my symptoms are an almost perfect match for depression: being sad off and on constantly, crying 3-4 times a week for really dumb reasons (I even started crying to the nurse over the phone when I made the appointment!), having a diminished self-worth, feeling hopeless about my future, and being unable to concentrate on anything at work or at home without great effort.

I know I've had a lot go on this year with ending a 4-year relationship, beginning a new one (which has been nothing but wonderful), being a primary decision maker for my grandma's health after her stroke (and devoting 3 days a week to driving to see her 2 hours away roundtrip), participating in a graduation ceremony without earning a degree because I was a few units short, dealing with work bs, and being homeless for 2 months during the summer until I finally found a place to live (but don't feel like it's home for some reason).

My IBS was non-existant all summer long, and has really only come back for Labor Day weekend and a few attacks here and there. This to me is the weirdest part because I had the most stressful summer.

I've never been to a counselor of any type before and often get told that I don't share my feelings very easily. I'd like to change this, but am very nervous about beginning that process with a counselor. Is it weird to tell a stranger stuff? What type of things do they want to know about? How many people have found counseling to be benifical?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Well.... new
      #284196 - 09/27/06 02:04 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm not the best person to ask, because I didn't have much success working with a counselor at all. On the other hand, it became obvious pretty quickly that I have anxiety problems that NEED to be medicated - and the medication also took care of most of my depression - so it's possible that she wasn't going to be able to help me regardless, know what I mean?

I found it surprisingly easy to talk to a stranger. Our first few sessions, she was mostly getting to know me, asking questions about my life, my upbringing, my symptoms, things like that - nothing too deep or anxiety-inducing. From what I gathered from friends who've also done counseling, that's pretty standard. So you don't have to worry about it being too weird at first... you'll have a little time to warm up to the therapist, get used to him/her as a person, before things get more personal.

I know that's not very helpful, per se, but I hope it's a little reassuring. Hope your doctor's appointment went well!

Re: Depression / Counseling new
      #284255 - 09/28/06 07:51 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I've never been to a counselor of any type before and often get told that I don't share my feelings very easily. I'd like to change this, but am very nervous about beginning that process with a counselor. Is it weird to tell a stranger stuff? What type of things do they want to know about? How many people have found counseling to be benifical?

It is weird to tell a stranger stuff, but as Casey says, my experience has been that therapists warm you up with smaller stuff first. And they can't make you tell them anything you don't want to, so you can work up to the big stuff at your own speed. At some point you'll probably be asked, "What brings you here?" and that lets you set the tone. If you're not sure what to say, print off your post, bring it with you, and read it to the therapist - I think you say everything perfectly in there, including your concerns about therapy which the therapist can address, too.

I have found therapy very beneficial, both for "Family of Origin" issues and for situational depression. First and foremost, it's a place where you can talk very bluntly about stuff that is hard to address directly with your nearest and dearest either because you're afraid you'll hurt their feelings or because you're afraid they'll think less of you for what you're feeling. Beyond that, a therapist can help you look at your life circumstances differently, help you see patterns in what you do and feel, and help you understand feelings that puzzle you (like why "home" doesn't feel that way, for example).

Remember, too, that there are a lot of therapists in the sea, so if you're not comfortable with one, you can always try another. You might think about whether you'd be more at ease with a man or a woman and whether you'd prefer a psychiatrist, psychologist, or social worker. I'm a woman/social worker preferrer myself.

Finally - and I'm going to sound like a Neanderthal here - I'm not a fan of automatically prescribing anti-depressants for situational depression. My advice would be to see a counselor and decide with her if anti-depressants would be helpful. I know this goes against the current common practice, but I think I'm old enough to be firmly retro in this matter.

I hope you find some help for this *soon*. I know how miserable and scary it is to feel the way you do.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Well.... new
      #284258 - 09/28/06 07:59 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I do pretty well with my shrink. I think the key is to find one you are comfortable with. I actually knew my shrink as she is a patient of ours at the office. I first started seeing her after the miscarriages started but we quickly worked into old family issues and coping skills.

You have been through a lot this summer. I think asking for an AD will help get things settled a bit and talking to a therapist will help you learn to better cope with things in the future. Love and hugs

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#284262 - 09/28/06 08:10 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I saw a counsellor in high school - I had a weee bit of a meltdown at 18 - stress!!! And it did really help - once I found the right counsellor. I saw 2 full-fledged psychologists and a shrink and then just a regular counsellor. The counsellor was the best. She didn't try to tell me why I was having problems or what caused them. She just asked me questions and what was wrong and then what I thought I should do to make things better. I went for about a year, once a week. It was very helpful. During this time my IBS wasn't bad either. They had me on anti-d's too - Zoloft, then Paxil and then Remeron (which could have killed me - toooo strong).

I hope that you find someone helpful for you too. You have been through a lot this year and the depression might be your body's way of saying it is just been too much. Ther is always hope, and we are all here to support you.

All the best - HUGS!!!!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#284267 - 09/28/06 08:38 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

My IBS was non-existant all summer long, and has really only come back for Labor Day weekend and a few attacks here and there. This to me is the weirdest part because I had the most stressful summer.

I'm just like this! When things are *really* stressful, I don't get sick and I don't have IBS. I'm like a friggin' machine. Once things go back to ordinary stresses, I fall apart and sometimes feel like I can't even handle emptying the dishwasher. It takes a while to "process" the stressful time, and I have to be extra gentle to myself during that recovery period.

I had a fantastic counselor in grad school - she was getting her PhD in psych while I was doing my astro PhD. It was nice to talk to someone outside my family and outside my department, and she never freaked out when I cried. I knew she was a good match when she picked up a pattern of mine on the first appointment! (I had some bad counselors in the past, too - no insights or just stupid ones.)

--AC

#284268 - 09/28/06 08:38 AM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

I've seen various counselors (psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers) and taken ADs and like anything else, some are helpful, some are not. And it is kind of scary when you are feeling so vulnerable to trust a doctor or therapist. In terms of a therapist I think the most important thing is the fit. Kind of like shoes. Not all styles fit all feet. I have done best with kind, supportive therapists rather than the probing analytic type. Although an understanding of the past is important, helping one function better in the present worked best for me. Learning to change some of my thinking patterns and behaviors (a type of cognitive therapy).I think it is important to like the therapist and feel that the therapist likes you.

I too participated in my graduation before completing all my units. I didn't want to as I worried it would jinx my completing my degree (see why I needed a therapist) but my family wanted to see me march. I did complete my units and got my degree the following quarter.

Keep posting. When I was going through my really rough times (pre internet days) I didn't know anyone else felt the way I did. You are not alone.

#284269 - 09/28/06 08:45 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

Quote:

Finally - and I'm going to sound like a Neanderthal here - I'm not a fan of automatically prescribing anti-depressants for situational depression. My advice would be to see a counselor and decide with her if anti-depressants would be helpful. I know this goes against the current common practice, but I think I'm old enough to be firmly retro in this matter.

I agree with you here Sand! I feel like too many people go to their doctor's and say "I need antidepressants" and the doctors give out the prescriptions too readily. It seems EVERYONE is on them these days and something about that just doesn't sit well with me. Don't get me wrong - I do completely believe that there are people out there who really do NEED them, but I think doctors are too quick to give them out just because they are asked, when there are probably underlying issues that should be addressed....

And I'm 27 and I majored in psychology in college (I have a BA in psychology, though my job is not in that field) - you said you're old enough to be retro about this - I'm not sure how old you are, but just wanted to throw in my age for your comparison.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Re: HUGE hugs, honey! new
      #284391 - 09/28/06 04:45 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

As you know, I have bipolar. Depression has been part of my life for my whole life. If you ever want to talk, hansolo890@hotmail.com
Yes, talking to a counsellor can be weird, but I found that I stuck it out, and I got a real comfort and rapport with him, talking became much easier. Besides, the first appointment will only be an information gathering stuff. And, remember, you NEVER have to talk about something you don't want to, and you don't have to reveal something if you don't want to - it is entirely up to you - you are in the driver's seat. Give it a try and take it slow.
I hope you feel better soon. Right now, it's really important to take good care of yourself. Do little htings. Do your nails. Take a bubble bath. Light a candle at dinner. Loaf out on the couch in your pj's with a silly movie. It can really make a difference. Also, try to eat as best you can, even if you don't feel like it. Small meals is a good place to start.
Love you bunches, sweetie!
A.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#284404 - 09/28/06 06:02 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I LOVE YOU JEN!! I'm on my way out the door to the gym... I will write you tonight.... I had no idea you were feeling like this sweetie....

{{hugs}}

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 295 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3203

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review