All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
We have fleas
      #283810 - 09/25/06 07:52 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Can I just scream, ICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have the heebie Jeebies so bad right now I can't even tell you!!!! I was sitting in my chair last night brushing Harley like I do most nights and at first I saw a couple little itty bitty black specs, thought they were dirt or crap-who knows what. Than, I saw it, a big one that moved!!!!!!!! I picked 3-4 medium size ones of his skin.

I picked up Oliver and the same thing. I thought oh boy, better check kitty, he had them all over. Kitty had them the worse by far. We figure that Chloe, the one who used to go outside but got hit a couple of weeks ago brought them in. She primarily kept to the basement and the dogs never go down there but the other kitty does. I only brush that kitty once a week or so and hadn't noticed them.

It was 9:30 Sunday night, we drove to Meijer's and the store was remolding and was out of everything. Drove to Target, they close at 9. Made it to Walmart just as they were closing and got bombs and spray. We sprayed the kitty until he was wet than realized it said not to use on kitties! Oops. Kitty got a bath at 10:30 and we had to blow him dry, he is a long hair persian and we were using tweezers to pick them off as we dried. Gross!!!!!!!

We changed all the sheets and spayed the bedroom and tried to get some sleep but of course I kept imagining them crawling all over me.

Kitty went to vet this am for flea dip and will be bringing home treatments for all three critters. Two bombs were deployed at the house at 9am. Dogs are at the office waiting for the tub to be free next door at the groomer and they are getting flea baths. They will stay next door at dogie daycare and I will set off a bomb in the office tonight when I leave. My car has been sprayed as well.

The comforter on the bed went to the dry cleaners. Once Will is allowed back in the house this afternoon, he has strict orders to wash all bedding in hot water, with bleach! I'm not messing around, I want them DEAD.

I stopped next door to talk with the doggy daycare girl and expressed my concerned about the fleas getting in my hair. My hair is very long, middle of my back and its totally freaking me out. She assured me that if the fleas were to "get me" they would go for the hair down south, if you know what I mean!!!! Ok, so I'm shaving EVERYTHING as soon as I get home!!!!!!!

I've had cats forever and just recently the dogs but I've never had fleas and I'm just so totally grossed out and embarrassed!!! The vet assured me it was no big deal and in fact, they are having a really busy flea season right now. Ack. I just want them dead and gone. Please, someone tell me I'm not the only one to have fleas...I feel so dirty and creepy.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: We have fleas new
      #283811 - 09/25/06 08:12 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I think cat and dog fleas are fairly common. But I don't think they are the same as those that attack humans. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, though I can imagine you've developed a "pshychological" itchy feeling from the experience...

Hope you're ok apart from the flea experience.

Hugs,

Ulrika, IBS-D

#283813 - 09/25/06 08:23 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Have you tried Advantage? I find this works best and fast. It kills almost 100% of infestation within 12 hours and prevents fleas from coming back for at least 4 weeks. Three months treatment usually is long enough, and then you can probably just use it every other month on the kitty that goes outside.

I get grossed out by fleas too! Which is one of the reasons why my cat is indoor only.

#283816 - 09/25/06 08:31 AM
vls

Reged: 06/27/06
Loc: Central Ohio

My boyfriend just moved into a new apartment and yea... fleas were there waiting for him. They sprayed it and now they are gone, but before they did he got bit a few times. Sadly, they will bite humans. My cats at home don't ever go outside but they have been had fleas before. They can come in through the windows! Now we treat them all with frontline plus, it's the best stuff. We get it from our vet and haven't had fleas since. Good luck! It sounds like all your fleas will be gone soon.

#283817 - 09/25/06 08:39 AM
michele

My kitty left is only an indoor kitty but I think Chloe brought them in just she was kit 2 weeks ago.

Kitty is at the vet and when Will picks him up we are getting doses of the advantage for all three critters.

Will just went into out house and he says that there are various dead bodies about the house, I guess it kills everything as there are a few spider carcases and an earwig in the bathroom. ICK!!!!!!!!!!!! Will is getting ready to vacuum everything up and the washer will be running all day today.

My boys just got put in the tub at the groomers and I'll take them some lunch later but don't want them back in the office until I bomb here tonight. Its going to be a long, lonely day for me!

--------------------

#283839 - 09/25/06 10:19 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

Fleas are something that a dog or cat picks up outside or from another animal. Don't feel embarrassed by the fact that your pups and cat got them. We had a couple on our dogs last year but never an infestation. We started using the K9 Advantix and haven't had a problem since.

Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#283844 - 09/25/06 10:39 AM
littlelani

Reged: 06/17/06
Loc: Asheboro, NC

Don't feel bad, it's a common problem when you have (or have recently had -sorry about your cat -) pets that are indoor/outdoor. Before I moved out of my parents house we had problems w/that, because my cat wouldn't wouldn't stay inside. Cats are sneaky & they can find a way out of just about any place! We got Advantage for her & it worked great! It IS gross though! There is a product for the home that kills the adult fleas as well as the larvae & eggs, but I can't remember what it's called. I think its a spray. Your vet should know.

--------------------
IBS-A...I can never make up my mind

Re: Thanks girls new
      #283845 - 09/25/06 11:13 AM
michele

I just visited the boys next door and they had 5 other dogs besides mine in for flea baths! They have to bomb the dogie daycare tonight as well! I left the boys next door because I don't know if the office has fleas and I can't bomb until I leave tonight. Still waiting on the vet to call about kitty but we are definitely getting the advantage stuff for them all.

Will just set anther bomb off in the bedroom as he found lots of dead bodies in there!! ICK!!! We figured it needed an extra dose just to be sure none are hiding in the mattress or under the bed. He is running the washer and I'm going home to a hot shower and shaving just about everything!!!! Down with the fleas!!! Kill'em all!!! Didn't know I was so violent, did you?!!

--------------------

Aw, I think it comes with the territory new
      #283849 - 09/25/06 12:00 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hey Michele,

I just wanted to chime in to say, "Don't feel bad!". I've had dogs my whole life and been through the flea thing a few times.
We take our dog to the local dog park a lot and last year Adrian thought he found a flea on him. I didn't see it, and the vet didn't see anything but he went crazy and got him flea medication and a bug bomb and everything - then we had the same experience as you where we were finding dead bugs everywhere! We lived in a basement, so the doorway to outside was just a huge line of dead woodbugs! It was gross. But it did also kill the spiders, which I was glad of 'cause I could just vaccuum up the dead ones.
We have that stuff.. I think it's Advantage but I'm not sure... that you put along the dogs spine like every few months.. We got it from the vet, and we haven't had any problem with fleas since.

So try not to feel embarassed or anything, I think most pet owners go through this sort of thing at least once.
And YIKES! about the fleas getting into the "hair down there" - Woah. I doubt it would actually happen, but I might be inclined to take everything off too just to make sure! Get a good sharp razor, though!

Good luck!

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#283855 - 09/25/06 01:06 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

sorry about the flea infestation. Been there, done that. The last time being when Mr. Pumpkin (a lovely orange tabby that adopted us but needs his freedom (going outside) otherwise he mopes) picked up a batch from the boys next door. Rushed him to the groomer and he has not forgiven us for what he considers his drowning and near death experience at the hands of Andrew the Expensive ($42 for a cat bath?!)As much as I hate to poison my animals, I do use monthly Advantage (separate products for the dogs and cats). You will need to wait 2 - 3 days after the bath to apply it. But that should take care of the problem. My vet prefers Advantage to Frontline as it is less toxic. Doesn't last as long as Frontline but less likely to cause adverse reactions in sensitive animals. I order the stuff online as it is considerably cheaper than at the vets.

I don't think you need to shave off all your hair. Just dye it a color that fleas don't like.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 106 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2488

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review