All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS & Stress - need your opinion!
      #283566 - 09/22/06 11:33 AM
Langgang

Reged: 06/25/06
Loc: Sedalia, MO

Hey, there! I had my first major IBS attack in April when I had D and felt like I had been run over by a truck. I was totally exhausted and felt like I had just gotten over the flu - very weak. After many tests, the Dr. diagnosed me with IBS. I had done really well over the summer, but felt kind of stressed out in August. School was starting. I teach elementary computer lab at 2 buildings, so I have a 6 day rotation schedule with weeks A & B. (This is my 2nd year of doing this.) Then I have twins who turned 15 in August and started high school. One is involved in soccer, the other volleyball. Then I have a 13 year old son, in 7th grade. I was stressed out and my stomach was bothering me, but then it all got better. Then 2 weeks ago, my father-in-law moved in with us while recovering from a pulled muscle in his back. His back does hurt, I'm sure, but we're thinking it's not as bad as he thinks it is. It's put a strain on the whole family (had to find a place for him, so Brett got booted to the basement with his brother). I was feeling really stressed out earlier in the week, so made an appt. with my family dr. to talk about stress. He prescribed me with Lexapro which made me physically sick. I stayed home from school yesterday and today but I don't know whether it is the Lexapro or a major IBS flareup again. I feel like I did in April when I missed bunches of school. Anyway, my hubby keeps saying that maybe it is my job that is causing me to feel this way. I think if it was stress from the job, it would have happened closer to when I started it, not 8 months into the year. And I wasn't nervous about starting school this fall, either, just excited about what I was going to teach my kids.

What do you all think, could it be my job? I'm afraid that if I quit, I'll be stuck taking care of the FIL until he goes home, and who knows when that will be. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for listening!

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS & Stress - need your opinion! new
      #283571 - 09/22/06 12:25 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

My GI thinks that most of my IBS is caused by stress. Have you ever thought about seeing a therapist? I'm seeing one now and at our next appointment, she's going to teach me relaxation and meditation techniques to help relieve stres.

--------------------
~jules

#283574 - 09/22/06 12:44 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

It sounds like you are being pulled in a lot of different directions. I know the feeling. I work for a group of 4 companies that have the same 5 male owners. And I run the offices. It is brutal.

I suggest you find some time for yourself to de-stress. If it's locking yourself in the bathroom for a hot bath once a week - any quiet time will help you. If it is beyond that, I recommend the hypno cds. They help with symptoms and with stress. I have noticed a huge improvement - and I am normally a very anxious person. ie - I will cry at any comment from my bosses good or bad because I am afraid of them. They gave me a $2.00 per hour raise Wednesday as a send off before all of my scopes and surgery next week. They appreciate the job I do, but don't understand the stress they put on me.

You need time for you. You need to feel better (as we all do). I wish you the best.

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#283580 - 09/22/06 01:56 PM
Langgang

I hadn't thought about seeing a therapist. I guess I think I should be able to handle all life throws at me with no problem. Guess that's not happening too well. Thanks for your advice - relaxation techniques would be great to learn!

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

#283581 - 09/22/06 02:01 PM
Langgang

Thanks for your advice for everything from the stress to Mirena! I have thought about the hypno tapes, just haven't been willing to plunk down the money for them. I also worry that I'll get them and not use them (kind of like my treadmill). I do need to relax more - I look at myself and see that I'm just not very much fun anymore. Hopefully things will settle down and I can get back to my old self.

I really appreciate talking to you. You're always so positive and have good advice - I guess cause you've been there! Thanks again!

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

#283587 - 09/22/06 04:14 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

If you don't want to plunk down the money for the IBS CDs as it is a big chunk, especially if you think you may not keep up, how about getting one relaxation tape. I like the type that does progressive relaxation where they have you start at your feet and tense and relax and move up your body. Maybe the library even has something like that for you to try. Then if you see this is something your enjoy, you can get the IBS program. Check out the yoga board. A lot of people like a simple beginner's yoga tape. I like Rodney Yee's AM/PM yoga. It includes relaxation as well.

Stress doesn't cause IBS but it sure can exacerbate it. Good Luck!

#283629 - 09/23/06 09:03 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I used the hypnotherapy cds two years ago and really liked them. I believe that they helped. And, it's not like a treadmill - you'll WANT to listen and look forward to the sessions.

I have some stress in my life and sometimes create stress for myself. I work full-time (don't want to), have a 14 month old son and am pregnant with my second. I tend to repress my feelings and internalize a lot (therapist taught me that) so we're working on ways to minimize the stress.

They cds are worth every penny, though! Plus, they're specifically directed toward IBS, which should help.

I've taken meditative yoga classes and can recommend those as well. They are offered at my local Y. There's also a yoga center where I live. You could check into that as well.

Good luck!!

--------------------
~jules

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 167 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1218

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review