All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I had to leave work today
      #283490 - 09/21/06 08:03 PM
CindyG.

Reged: 01/26/05
Loc: Mississippi

Hey guys. How is everyone. I am a school librarian at a middle school and I teach elective classes most of the day. I went into library science thinking I wouldnt have to teach classes and I could it would be easier with my IBS. I was an elem. ed major at first.

ANYWAYS. I had to leave work today. I was cramping SOOO bad. I started crying about it. ANd the first couple times I went to the bathroom thinking it was D (I am usually IBS-D) nothing happened. I just kept cramping and had some G. Finally I got a little relief but I was running back to the bathroom about every 15 to 20 minutes. Luckily all this happened before my first class came. I just decided there wasnt anyway I could teach my classes today running back and forth besides all the cramping!
I just get frustrated at myself. Like when I have to alter things because of my IBS I feel like defeated for some reason.
I used to be agoraphobic until beginning of this because I was afraid of having a IBS-D attack when I went places.
Well I just wanted to vent some.
Thanks for listening.

CINDY

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I had to leave work today new
      #283514 - 09/22/06 06:05 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Cindy,

Sorry to hear you had such a rough day.

I hope you are feeling better today.

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

I know just how that feels new
      #283518 - 09/22/06 06:17 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Oh you poor thing. I've had similar experiences, being trapped in the bathroom and having a student come in after me to check if I was OK. Not my finest moment!

I know it's hard not to feel guilty, but it's not your fault. {{{HUGS}}} Our bodies hold us hostage at the most inopportune times! No one holds against you. They understand that if you had to leave it must have been Really Bad.

I taught college English for 2 years and I know how hard the classroom setting is on IBS. No one realizes how hard it is to perform before a packed class (I compare it to acting in 4 sold out shows a day-- every day!).

Let Imodium be your new best friend. It will cut down on the duration and severity of your D attacks. I take 8+ a day as preventatives and it works wonders. Start in the morning right when you wake up (I take 2). Then I take them before I put anything in my mouth, including drinks.

Best of luck to you, and post back! I want to hear how your next class goes. What are you teaching this semester?

~nelly~

#283538 - 09/22/06 08:07 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Sorry sweetie, that sounds awful. As Nelly said, try not to feel quilty, its not your fault and there isn't much we can do once it gets that bad, toher than ride it out.

Do you have any anti spasm medications. Nelly and I like the Donnatol the best, might want to ask your doc about it. Hope you are feelintg better today.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#283552 - 09/22/06 09:03 AM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

I too am a teacher and the stress of being responsible for my students when I can't even take care of myself is terrible!!! The best thing you can do is follow the diet, take the medicines, and then confide in another teacher next door to you...sometimes just knowing that you have an "out" if you need one is enough to calm your stomach down. As for the kids...try to plan your lessons where there are breaks for you being in the spotlight...independent or cooperative work for the kids to give you a reprieve if you have to run out. Often the kids won't even notice...we seem to magnify these issues for ourselves. And if you're embarrassed, just say you feel nauseous...better than saying you have to poop. If it makes you feel any better, one year I was teaching middle school special ed. and there was NOBODY around when I was having an attack... I actually ran out of the class and yelled to some lunch aide to watch my kids...TWICE!...I know..totally illegal but the other scenario would have been a very bad scene. Good luck to you!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#283565 - 09/22/06 11:19 AM
Langgang

Reged: 06/25/06
Loc: Sedalia, MO

Sorry to hear about your day. I'm right there with you also. I teach computer lab to elementary students at 2 different schools. At one school I have a bathroom in the lab (Yeah!), but at the other, the bathroom is down the hall. I do have the librarian next door that will watch my kids when I'm in a pinch. Thank goodness for that! I didn't go to school yesterday or today because of IBS/stress/medicine issues. It really does make a person feel helpless.

Hang in there and hopefully you'll feel better tomorrow!

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 449 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1079

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review