Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Just saw my Gynecologist...
      #282841 - 09/18/06 11:42 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Just saw my Gynecologist...what a great way to start the week....LOL

For what SHOULD be my annual pap, the last time I was in to see him was 2002. BAD SHELL!! (He said, "mark your calendar on your birthday it is time to give yourself the special gift of your annual pap" LOL He is a great guy! He said everything "feels" normal .... they will let me know when the test results comes in.

He gave me the "Clock Is Ticking" speech ... I know I know..... but Shane & I have not decided yet.

And I'm scheduled Wed at 8:20am for what should be the greatest event in my life thus far.... my very first mammogram! I THOUGHT I did not have to do that until I was 40....but I guess they are starting it at 35... some insurance will not pay for it until your 40.... but they will if you have it in your family history and I do....my Mom's Aunt Shirley died from breast cancer a few years ago .

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just saw my Gynecologist... new
      #282849 - 09/18/06 12:02 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Ack, sorry to hear about the mamogram. I'm 36 and keep waiting for one of the doctors to bring it up to me. However, we don't have any history so maybe I can wait a few more years.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#282852 - 09/18/06 12:14 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Shelley,

What a lovely way to start your week! I would give you a lecture on not having your pap done, but I haven't had one in over two years now either. My mom recently said she has cervical cancer.. but then said she didn't.. I dunno exactly what happened, but it was enough for me to think I should just get one done! So at least you had one done and everything looks.. or feels.. or whatever.. normal.

That's kinda funny about him giving you the clock ticking speech, as if you wouldn't have thought of that yourself at one point. Like you'd be shocked and, "Oh! I'd better get right on that!" Hee hee.

Yikes! on the mammogram! I am already terrified of them and I'm only 23! I have to get them early too as I have a lot of cancer in my family, and my mom had breast cancer last year. If your insurance won't pay for it, how much does something like that cost? I hope it's not too much, 'cause that would make me really hopping mad!!

Anyway, hope the rest of your week looks up... After a speculum, I guess it can only go up (touch wood!).

**hugs**
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#282856 - 09/18/06 12:25 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Ugh, I sympathize Shell! I just had my pre-op today and that was bad enough without the pap!!

I had my first mam in Feb. after I found a lump. I turned 30 in May. (non-cancerous) The follow-up appt. for that is scheduled for April 2007! Yeah Ontario (Canada) healthcare .

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#282860 - 09/18/06 12:41 PM
Shell Marr

Yes Michele... I bet you can get it put off then, if there is no history and they have not found a lump or anything.... (knock on wood)

--------------------

You know what's kinda sick? new
      #282861 - 09/18/06 12:41 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm looking forward to my first mammogram. LOL! Well, ok, maybe not exactly, but I AM kind of anxious to have it done. There's so much cancer in my family, including breast cancer, and I really don't want to have to wait till I'm 40 to start screenings. (Everywhere up here insists on 40, regardless of family medical history - sigh.)

I hope I never get the "clock is ticking" speech, because I'm sure I'll go psycho on the poor doc. LOL! A friend of mine had her first healthy, happy baby at 44. Screw the doctors!

#282864 - 09/18/06 12:46 PM
Shell Marr

Stephie.... you are so funny!! Yah, I'm gonna get right on that!! LOL

Thanks for not scolding me.... my Mom & Sister both already did.... really the reason I DID go was cuz Jennifer Rose's post made me realize how long it had been. When I moved in with Shane..... I never changed my address with the office so I stopped getting my "reminder" post cards.... my records where still listed with Frodsham not Marr....

I'm sure your insurance would pay for it... seeing as how your Mom has history. If not, I have NO clue what the cost would be... I'll watch for the breakdown on the invoices marked (covered by insurance) and I'll let ya know.

No kidding again.... knockin on wood!!

--------------------

#282866 - 09/18/06 12:50 PM
Shell Marr

Wow Cassandra... glad it was non-cancerous... your kidding me.... 14 MONTHS until your follow-up?? That is crazy!!

--------------------

Re: Yay Shelley! new
      #282871 - 09/18/06 01:02 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I know, I need to do the lovely pap gift as well. Havent had it done since Quinlan was born (03) - bad me!
Beware the mammogram hurts - they push really really hard. I haven't had one, but my Mom hates them.
I should get a mammogram too, I had a lump about 10 years ago ( I just have fibrous breasts - it wasn't anything). My Mom's aunt died of breast cancer, too. Maybe I should ask.
Good for you for gettin' the girls checked!!!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#282898 - 09/18/06 02:28 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

Oh, the lovely woman appointment. One thing that I am proud of myself for sticking to is my annual exam. I don't know if I would do as well if I wasn't relying on them to write that birth control prescription! They are never fun, but they are manageable. You'll have to let us know how the mammogram goes. I am scared of the sound of it.

Congratulations on everything looking good!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#282900 - 09/18/06 02:34 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Good for you for getting your PAP and check-up. And I may be the only person in the world who feels this way, but I think mammograms are *much* easier than the gyn exam and PAP.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#282941 - 09/18/06 06:33 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Ok I am really glad your pap turned out well but let me scold you a little bit. PLEASE don't wait that long again. One of my beloved aunts who is only 47 is battling ovarian cancer which has now spread. I am devastated as my cousins are only 18 and 21 and she is just the greatest person. She didn't go for 3 years and finally went last year because her tummy was bloated. Please to any of you out there don't wait for those tests. Hers probably could have had a better outcome. Ok enough scolding I just love ya Shell and want you to always be healthy!!

Re: Bad, bad Shell! new
      #282945 - 09/18/06 06:45 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Ok, I won't lecture too much either. Is it just that you don't like to go or you just don't want to take the time to go? I faithfully go every year. God knows why cause as you know it's just not the most pleasant visit. Perhaps cause I LOVE my gynocologist that I keep going back. He's the best. I wish he were my family doctor. Anyway, I had my first mammogram at 35 also. I have fibrocystic disease(or lumpy, bumpy breast as one of my docs called it ). I did check my insurance first and they did cover it at 35. I had another at 36 and then again at 38. The radiologist actually scolded me for not having it yearly. So I plan to have another at 39 just because and then start regularly at 40. Ughhhh another submission of getting older!!!!
Honestly they aren't that bad. I hear the smaller breasted you are the worse it hurts. I'm a C cup and it's not that painful. Yeah for the 4 seconds it's uncomfortable but not bad. I think it hurts my ribs more trying to get so stinkin close to the darn machine!
Good luck with your first mammo and make it a point to get that pap test once a year! Oh and good luck on making a decision on "a baby maybe?"....

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#282948 - 09/18/06 07:11 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

Well I can't lecture. When I went to the doctor she asked when was my last one. I said I tend to be pretty regular because of the cancer in my family. Much to my shock and horror...it had been five years since my last one sad I know. Where does the time fly???

My question about mammograms is as follows. I was 33 when I noticed a lump in my breast. After 5 or so trips to the dr's office demanding "THE" test, she said well it wouldn't make a difference, I was too young for them to notice anything. So I raised a big enough stink and she eventually sent me for an ultra sound, she said it would be much better anyway. So....my question is, why can't we just all have ultrasounds...no squeezing there!!!!

sigh...I'll be the big 40 in a couple months so I guess I'll have to shedule that too

oh yea...the lump was non-cancerous.whew

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Good luck with the mammogram tomorrow! new
      #283086 - 09/19/06 06:20 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Hopefully it's not too bad. Now you just need to get better about doing those lovely yearly exams. I actually had mine yesterday, too. Ugh, I hate pelvic exams!! I could totally be made to spill all of my secrets if someone tied me up and waved a speculum threateningly at me.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Just saw my Gynecologist...anybody using Mirena IUD??? new
      #283091 - 09/19/06 06:55 PM
Langgang

Reged: 06/25/06
Loc: Sedalia, MO

I had my yearly exam on Monday also (hate those), but wanted to reassure you about the mammogram. I'm almost 41 and had my first at age 35 (Mom has had a double mastectomy in last 10 years), then had another at age 40, and now get one every year. They are really not so bad. A little uncomfortable for me (size 36D), but not really painful. I guess I don't mind having the mammogram because I'm really bad at remembering to do the monthly self exams.

My problem (in addition to major stress - 3 teenagers, 2 with driving permits, who are all involved in sports activities, and a father-in-law who has moved in for who knows how long) is finding a new birth control method. I've been on Depo Provera for almost 13 years and loved it. Now my doctor wants me to find another method since new studies have shown that after using Depo for more than 5 years, there could be bone density loss or something like that. He gave me info on Mirena (IUD that lasts 5 years) and a few other things. I'm leaning towards the Mirena, but would like to know if anyone out there is using it, what they think, etc.

Good luck with the mammogram. Just remember, it will all be over in a few minutes. Having IBS and all the things that go with it is definitely worse!

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

Re: Mirena IUD??? - Langgang (personal info included) new
      #283116 - 09/20/06 04:57 AM
Toady

I have a Mirena, and have had for 4 of its 5 year life. It is awesome. No periods. (some occasional spotting though) That was the seller for me! And, NO SIDE AFFECTS - no bloating, irritablity, etc...

It is a bit expensive - $350 CAD, but it was well worth it. I haven't bought a box of Tampax in 4 years - think of the savings my Dr. said!!

I can't take traditional birth control b/c of too many side affects - water retention, etc. I can't have children naturally without invetro intervention b/c of an ectopic in 2002 that badly damaged my right fallopian tube. I almost lost it. And I was high risk even before that. The Mirena gives me freedom from ucky condoms. (My husband does note that the wire is sharp ) Luckily for the DH and I, we didn't plan to have children anyways. Next year I will definately get another one!

Best of luck with your decision!!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Just got back from my first mammogram... new
      #283157 - 09/20/06 09:23 AM
Shell Marr

Talk about getting SQUISHED... lol It was not a painful as I thought it would be..... Will have the results in about 7-10 days.

Quote:

And I'm scheduled Wed at 8:20am for what should be the greatest event in my life thus far.... my very first mammogram! I THOUGHT I did not have to do that until I was 40....but I guess they are starting it at 35... some insurance will not pay for it until your 40.... but they will if you have it in your family history and I do....my Mom's Aunt Shirley died from breast cancer a few years ago .

--------------------

Re: Mirena IUD??? - Langgang (personal info included) new
      #283268 - 09/20/06 03:39 PM
Langgang

Thanks for your response. I'm leaning towards trying Mirena. I'm going to check into my insurance and see how much they will cover. My reg. doctor keeps telling me just to get my tubes tied since I know I don't want any more children, but I'm not sure if I want surgery or a period again. After 13 years on Depo & no periods, I've gotten spoiled! I guess I should warn my hubby about the sharp wire if I decide to go with it

If I decide to go with it I hope I have as good of luck with it as you've had! Thanks again!

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

sharp wire?!!!!!!!!! new
      #283294 - 09/20/06 06:11 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Hey Hope you don't mind a man jumping into this conversation - but I looked in on this thread bc my wife is getting the mirena this month. I don;t like the sound of this sharp wire! Please elaborate a little! Are we talking about actually getting a cut - was screaming involved? Sounds scary! thanks!

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

For Langgang new
      #283313 - 09/20/06 06:59 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi Langgang-- I've been on depo for 7 years and my next one is in November. Did you have any trouble with convincing a doctor to leave you on it for so long? I'm getting a lot of static from my provider...

Now they want me to get a bone density scan to prove I don't have any bone loss before they want to give me my next shot. Have you have one? I don't know how much they cost, and I don't have insurance.

Depo's been a lifesaver for me and I don't want to stop it! I can't take estrogen and have had horrible problems with other b/c methods.

Thanks in advance--

~nelly~

jen new
      #283315 - 09/20/06 07:01 PM
Nelly

*I just read the word "speculum," and broke out in a sweat*

~nelly~

Haweye new
      #283360 - 09/21/06 06:22 AM
Toady

No screaming, just a poke, no cut or anything. You have to watch when you're practising all of those funky Kama Sutra positions. I'm not elaborating any more than that - sorry! It's only every once in 25 times that the DH notices it is even there.

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Re: Thank god my hubby got a vasectomy! -nt- new
      #283461 - 09/21/06 03:18 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Test Results Are Back.... new
      #284155 - 09/27/06 10:17 AM
Shell Marr

PAP & Mammo results are both "normal"

--------------------

Re: For Langgang new
      #284616 - 09/30/06 08:29 AM
Langgang

Nelly,

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I started Depo after my youngest son was born, 13 years ago. I never really had to convince my doctor that I wanted to stay on it, he just would ask at my yearly if I was pleased and I would say yes. (I guess I was his poster child for Depo - the only thing I made sure of was to get my shot on the first day of the "window" of time, otherwise I would have spotting.)

When I went for my yearly 2 weeks ago, I had all these other problems (IBS and symptoms I thought was perimenopause). He told me that I wasn't having the problems because of menopause since I am on Depo, so then he told me to talk to my regular doctor about my symptoms, which are stress related. Anyway, then he pointed out that there is a chance of bone loss (or something like that) once you've been on Depo for more than 5 years. I didn't realize it - maybe it's something new, maybe not. Anyway he suggested I try another form of birth control. He gave me info on the NuvoRing (sp?) and Mirena, but also talked about regular birth control pills. He said that one of these options would be better for me now and my ovaries would start producing estrogen again, which would be better for me.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Mirena because I really don't want to have a period again. I've gotten spoiled.

No, I haven't had any bone density tests. I have no idea what they would cost either, but imagine they would be pretty expensive.

I hope I've answered your questions. My e-mail is in my profile if you want to chat more. Good luck with your decision.

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

Re: For Langgang new
      #284624 - 09/30/06 09:27 AM
Nelly

Thanks for your reply-- I've saved $2000 for the test, but I still don't know how much it really costs. I suppose my only options are to see my regular doctor, or start calling labs in the area for a quote.

It's interesting that he wants you to switch methods. I have tried bc pills and have a bad reaction to estrogen (all the orthos and even the mini-pill gave me troubles). I don't want to get my period again because of the bad endometriosis I suffered from the time I was 14 and first started menstruating...

So annoying that I find something that works, then have to spend tons of money proving it's not destroying me. It's stressing me out knowing that this might be taken away from me.

~nelly~

Re: For Nelly new
      #284797 - 10/01/06 05:23 PM
Langgang

You may already have done this, but would it help to be very frank with your doctor/provider and tell everything about your IBS/endometriosis and how well Depo is working for you. Could you maybe take extra calcium pills to kind of offset the bone loss? Has your doctor given you any other alternatives besides the birth control pill? It sounds like you feel very strongly about this and if it were me, I would either keep on them until they approved the Depo or try and find another doctor.

Have you done any research on the Internet about Depo & bone loss? I remember back when I was just looking into Depo that it had been around in Europe for many years. Maybe you could find some research, then approach your doctor with your findings.

I'm finding that the older I get, the less I believe everything my doctors say. I do the research myself and in the case of my IBS, pretty much knew it was what I had before I went in. Then it was just ruling out the major bad stuff.

I really hope everything works out for you with the Depo. Please let me know how everything turns out. I'll be thinking of you.

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

Thank you new
      #284806 - 10/01/06 05:54 PM
Nelly

Thank you, I appreciate the support! This has been an ongoing thing with my depo docs (I go to a clinic), ever since year 5 of me being on the shot. I upped my calcium intake from 600 to 1200, then to 1800 because the one doctor in the clinic told me to. THEN I see this other doctor in the clinic a few month later who says I can only absorb 500 mgs of calcium a day, so don't bother taking so much.

Ugh.

At this point, I am ready to falsify tests to keep on the shot. These doctors are only covering their butts based on hypotheticals. I've taken the SubQ (subcutaneous depo shot) the last 2 times, which seems to have less "risks." Of course there is not enough research on the Depo SubQ yet, so again, more covering of the butts.

<rant>I am so wary of doctors just based on all the awful treatment across the board I've gotten throughout my life. I see this for what it is, and have to play by their rules if I'm going to continue getting the shot. It's been withheld from me before (and d*mn the consequences) because I was late on my pap (I went to another clinic to get one that time).

I've been used to doctors refusing treatment/withholding medicine when I didn't pay or get "required tests," or see the doctor for an expensive appointment often enough. It's a business, and the difference what passes for care in this country and others is staggering. It's all about the money. </rant>

Thanks again for listening. You have a wonderful idea of going to gather research which will back up my case. I'm going to channel my frustrations and do some research now.

~nelly~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 472 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5217

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review