All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Just saw my Gynecologist... new
      #282900 - 09/18/06 02:34 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Good for you for getting your PAP and check-up. And I may be the only person in the world who feels this way, but I think mammograms are *much* easier than the gyn exam and PAP.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#282941 - 09/18/06 06:33 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Ok I am really glad your pap turned out well but let me scold you a little bit. PLEASE don't wait that long again. One of my beloved aunts who is only 47 is battling ovarian cancer which has now spread. I am devastated as my cousins are only 18 and 21 and she is just the greatest person. She didn't go for 3 years and finally went last year because her tummy was bloated. Please to any of you out there don't wait for those tests. Hers probably could have had a better outcome. Ok enough scolding I just love ya Shell and want you to always be healthy!!

Re: Bad, bad Shell! new
      #282945 - 09/18/06 06:45 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Ok, I won't lecture too much either. Is it just that you don't like to go or you just don't want to take the time to go? I faithfully go every year. God knows why cause as you know it's just not the most pleasant visit. Perhaps cause I LOVE my gynocologist that I keep going back. He's the best. I wish he were my family doctor. Anyway, I had my first mammogram at 35 also. I have fibrocystic disease(or lumpy, bumpy breast as one of my docs called it ). I did check my insurance first and they did cover it at 35. I had another at 36 and then again at 38. The radiologist actually scolded me for not having it yearly. So I plan to have another at 39 just because and then start regularly at 40. Ughhhh another submission of getting older!!!!
Honestly they aren't that bad. I hear the smaller breasted you are the worse it hurts. I'm a C cup and it's not that painful. Yeah for the 4 seconds it's uncomfortable but not bad. I think it hurts my ribs more trying to get so stinkin close to the darn machine!
Good luck with your first mammo and make it a point to get that pap test once a year! Oh and good luck on making a decision on "a baby maybe?"....

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#282948 - 09/18/06 07:11 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

Well I can't lecture. When I went to the doctor she asked when was my last one. I said I tend to be pretty regular because of the cancer in my family. Much to my shock and horror...it had been five years since my last one sad I know. Where does the time fly???

My question about mammograms is as follows. I was 33 when I noticed a lump in my breast. After 5 or so trips to the dr's office demanding "THE" test, she said well it wouldn't make a difference, I was too young for them to notice anything. So I raised a big enough stink and she eventually sent me for an ultra sound, she said it would be much better anyway. So....my question is, why can't we just all have ultrasounds...no squeezing there!!!!

sigh...I'll be the big 40 in a couple months so I guess I'll have to shedule that too

oh yea...the lump was non-cancerous.whew

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Good luck with the mammogram tomorrow! new
      #283086 - 09/19/06 06:20 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Hopefully it's not too bad. Now you just need to get better about doing those lovely yearly exams. I actually had mine yesterday, too. Ugh, I hate pelvic exams!! I could totally be made to spill all of my secrets if someone tied me up and waved a speculum threateningly at me.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Just saw my Gynecologist...anybody using Mirena IUD??? new
      #283091 - 09/19/06 06:55 PM
Langgang

Reged: 06/25/06
Loc: Sedalia, MO

I had my yearly exam on Monday also (hate those), but wanted to reassure you about the mammogram. I'm almost 41 and had my first at age 35 (Mom has had a double mastectomy in last 10 years), then had another at age 40, and now get one every year. They are really not so bad. A little uncomfortable for me (size 36D), but not really painful. I guess I don't mind having the mammogram because I'm really bad at remembering to do the monthly self exams.

My problem (in addition to major stress - 3 teenagers, 2 with driving permits, who are all involved in sports activities, and a father-in-law who has moved in for who knows how long) is finding a new birth control method. I've been on Depo Provera for almost 13 years and loved it. Now my doctor wants me to find another method since new studies have shown that after using Depo for more than 5 years, there could be bone density loss or something like that. He gave me info on Mirena (IUD that lasts 5 years) and a few other things. I'm leaning towards the Mirena, but would like to know if anyone out there is using it, what they think, etc.

Good luck with the mammogram. Just remember, it will all be over in a few minutes. Having IBS and all the things that go with it is definitely worse!

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

Re: Mirena IUD??? - Langgang (personal info included) new
      #283116 - 09/20/06 04:57 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I have a Mirena, and have had for 4 of its 5 year life. It is awesome. No periods. (some occasional spotting though) That was the seller for me! And, NO SIDE AFFECTS - no bloating, irritablity, etc...

It is a bit expensive - $350 CAD, but it was well worth it. I haven't bought a box of Tampax in 4 years - think of the savings my Dr. said!!

I can't take traditional birth control b/c of too many side affects - water retention, etc. I can't have children naturally without invetro intervention b/c of an ectopic in 2002 that badly damaged my right fallopian tube. I almost lost it. And I was high risk even before that. The Mirena gives me freedom from ucky condoms. (My husband does note that the wire is sharp ) Luckily for the DH and I, we didn't plan to have children anyways. Next year I will definately get another one!

Best of luck with your decision!!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Just got back from my first mammogram... new
      #283157 - 09/20/06 09:23 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Talk about getting SQUISHED... lol It was not a painful as I thought it would be..... Will have the results in about 7-10 days.

Quote:

And I'm scheduled Wed at 8:20am for what should be the greatest event in my life thus far.... my very first mammogram! I THOUGHT I did not have to do that until I was 40....but I guess they are starting it at 35... some insurance will not pay for it until your 40.... but they will if you have it in your family history and I do....my Mom's Aunt Shirley died from breast cancer a few years ago .

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Mirena IUD??? - Langgang (personal info included) new
      #283268 - 09/20/06 03:39 PM
Langgang

Reged: 06/25/06
Loc: Sedalia, MO

Thanks for your response. I'm leaning towards trying Mirena. I'm going to check into my insurance and see how much they will cover. My reg. doctor keeps telling me just to get my tubes tied since I know I don't want any more children, but I'm not sure if I want surgery or a period again. After 13 years on Depo & no periods, I've gotten spoiled! I guess I should warn my hubby about the sharp wire if I decide to go with it

If I decide to go with it I hope I have as good of luck with it as you've had! Thanks again!

--------------------
Robin
IBS-A

sharp wire?!!!!!!!!! new
      #283294 - 09/20/06 06:11 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

Hey Hope you don't mind a man jumping into this conversation - but I looked in on this thread bc my wife is getting the mirena this month. I don;t like the sound of this sharp wire! Please elaborate a little! Are we talking about actually getting a cut - was screaming involved? Sounds scary! thanks!

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 389 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5313

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review