All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Worried about traveling
      #282830 - 09/18/06 10:50 AM
hms05

Reged: 09/14/06

Hi all~

I'm traveling this weekend and I'm finding that I'm really worried about what I'm going to eat while I'm gone and if my stomach is going to act up or not.

How do you all handle traveling? Any tips? Do you tell people about your IBS?

I've already got my little bag of fiber supp, tea and immodium (I have IBS-D) packed and ready to go...

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Worried about traveling new
      #282868 - 09/18/06 12:52 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm stable now, but back in the days when I wasn't, I pretty much always carried a big back with a bunch of "essentials": imodium, fiber supp, crackers and other safe snacks, tea bags, etc. If I knew I'd be traveling for a while, I'd take my heating pad.

I've never been shy about telling people that I have "digestive problems", so if it ever comes up, I say exactly that.

The safest foods in restaurants are grilled or baked chicken breast or fish, baked potatoes, and steamed veggies. Bagels are almost always safe for breakfast - be sure to ask for it toasted, NOT grilled, and eat it with jelly or jam. Wendy's and Subway are my favorites for safe fast food. When ordering a chicken sandwich from a diner, be sure to ask if it's fried - up here, anyway, EVERYTHING is fried, haha.

In most restaurants and definitely in diners, if you don't see something that'll work for you on the menu, don't be afraid to ask. If it makes you feel better, justify it to the waitress as "severe food allergies". Nobody wants a patron dying in their restaurant, and so they'll find a way to accomodate you. LOL! Sometimes a little white lie isn't a bad thing.

Really, it sounds simplistic, but the best thing you can do is take a deep breath, enjoy your trip, and let whatever happens, happen. People do get D all the time, and although it's painful and unpleasant for US, it doesn't faze most other people at all. You take your imodium, you relax quietly till it kicks in. If anyone gives you lip, you tell them where to go. But a lot of us find that our IBS doesn't act up while traveling, probably because vacations make a person so relaxed!

Good luck, and enjoy your trip!

#282881 - 09/18/06 01:20 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Casey pretty much summed it up! Try to enjoy your trip!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

I'm travelling too new
      #282889 - 09/18/06 01:49 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I'm taking a plane on Friday and as always I'm worried about travelling!! I take imodium as a preventative as soon as I get up. I frink fluids, but generally don't eat the day I travel. Food in my tummy isn't a safe bet for me when I go up in the air.

On the flip side, I will take saltines with me in my purse if I get very hungry. I don't know what I'm going to do about bottled water-- evidently I can't take liquids or gels on my flight, which means no water, toothpaste, liquid makeup, or clear gel deoderant. Guess I'll just be ugly, dehydrated and smelly.

~nelly~

#282890 - 09/18/06 01:58 PM
hms05

Reged: 09/14/06

Thanks for the great advice and support Casey !

It's so true about what you said...people get D all the time and don't think a thing about it. They have it and move on. But for us it's an "issue". For me I usually don't feel well after for a while. But if I can lie down w/ some tea and a heating pad that seems to help alot.

I do just need to be honest about everything so that I'm comfortable. And making sure I take time each day to relax so that I don't get stressed.

I think traveling w/ IBS just takes a little more planning than it does for those without it.

Thanks again!!

You're welcome, and... new
      #282894 - 09/18/06 02:20 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You're totally right. Travel with IBS does take a lot more planning, but it's very doable. The best part is, once you do it and have no major catastrophes (meaning, even if you have a problem, you're prepared and you deal with it the best you can), you'll relax about it quite a bit, and the NEXT trip will be that much easier.

My IBS was so bad a couple years ago that I was completely bedridden, and basically didn't leave the house for months. When I finally did go out and go somewhere, I was a complete wreck. LOL! But I survived, and the next trip was easier, and the next after that was even easier yet. I did have an occasional "problem", but I started to realize that it's nothing I (we!) can't handle. Once you know the principles of the diet, you're well-prepared for travel. Just be gentle on yourself! If you don't feel like eating out, or anything else for that matter, don't push it for the sake of everyone else.

I'm like you - after an attack, I feel lousy for a long time afterwards. It's good you know what works for you, though - remember to take that stuff, and you'll be fine.

one more suggestion new
      #282952 - 09/18/06 07:52 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

Another thing -- for situations where you're dying for your heating pad but you have no electrical outlet OR you need to be mobile, I am seriously in love with the heat patch things. They're sold for menstrual cramp relief, by Thermacare I think. Basically it's this big wide heat patch that you stick on the inside of your panties. (hmm -- I just realized that from your name I can't tell if you're male or female -- if you're male, please don't take that as some kind of personal insult to your manhood.) They're good for 8 hours. I've heard other people say they've found generic ones for about $1 apiece, but I've never found any generics, just the brand-name. They're still not too bad, about $2 apiece. If you're wearing something bulkier or loose, like jeans, they're not noticeable at all. Otherwise, if you're wearing thin or tight pants then you'll probably want to wear a longer shirt.

Anyway, just a suggestion -- I've used them on several occasions when I had to be away from home and they've saved my life.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: Worried about traveling...new person with question new
      #282954 - 09/18/06 08:01 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Hi. I just posted on the EFI board about ordering acacia tonight and being nervous about taking it with IBS-D. I have only been taking Fibercon and following Heather's diet for a week. I didn't mention that I will also be traveling (Sept.30) so that gives me I guess a week (depending on when my shipment arrives) to get my body to adjust to the Acacia. I know that's cutting it close but do you think it should be okay? Should I just take Fibercon until after my trip and then start the Acacia when I return? (I think the Fibercon is somewhat helping but I'm having a hard time swallowing them)...incidentally, I'm flying too and I was wondering how if any of you take the powder on the flight or do you just do it in the airport with some applesauce or something before you board? Thanks!!!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

#283015 - 09/19/06 08:58 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

You can premix it in with your water, that is if they are letting you carry water on board?! If your nervous, you could wait until you get back but as long as you start with a small dose and gradually increase, you should be ok. Read heathers post it note on the top of the efi board for all the dosing instructions. If you are worried about D on the plane, I'd take an Imodium.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#283097 - 09/19/06 07:11 PM
line415

Reged: 09/09/06
Loc: New Jersey

Thanks for your advice!

--------------------
Originally IBS-D for a million years!
Then IBS-A, Now a transformed slightly C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 943 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3373

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review