All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Saw the gi guy
      #282029 - 09/13/06 12:10 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Ok, well at least he was nice. A quirky old guy but seemed to listen. The crohns guy had talked to him and sent him some of my records which he reviewed before I got there. Apparently the crohns guy told him how bad I have been hurting and they had already arranged a time for me to have the upper endoscopy this Friday afternoon!

We went over my medical stuff. He listened to my lungs and poked and prodded me. My belly was very talkative and grumbled and boiled for him to hear without his stethoscope! He actually scolded my tummy for talking back to him!

This "newer" pain I've been having in my upper right quadrant is really awful and I thought it might be an ulcer but he doesn't think so because eating makes it worse, not better. It may be gastritis or it may be the costochondritis, inflammation in the chest wall and surrounding area. You can actually see swelling in between and just under my boobs.

I started to reduce my steroids this past Saturday and I'm all swollen up again and the doc today said I had better go back up to the regular dose. UGH! I REALLY want off the steroids but I couldn't argue with him as the swelling is pretty bad and does hurt a lot.

I asked him about doing a colonoscopy at the same time and he said that the crohns guy just requested the upper scope and that I would have to talk to him about that. He agreed you can't rule out/in crohns without it but said the crohns guy may have a reason for not doing it yet?? So, for now, we are scheduled to do just the upper endoscopy Friday at 2:30. He said he just won't know anything until he looks with the scope.

My boss isn't real happy about me taking a Friday afternoon off as that is one of the days he is here but its not like I have a choice. It usually takes 4 weeks or so to get this done but he is working late to "do" me this Friday because he knows I'm in so much pain. I also told the doc that I have a high tolerance for the sedation medication and he said he figured aa much after looking at my list of drugs I take. He said as long as my pressure doesn't drop, he will give me as much as I need!

The other thing he wants me to do is a 24 hours urine sample. Sounds easy enough but after I talked to the nurse, I'm bit concerned. I have explosive diarrhea on average 10 plus times a day. For those of you with D, have you ever tried NOT to pee while having D?? Its very difficult for me to do one and not the other. I can't get any poo in the pee either or it will ruin the test. The nurse didn't have any idea's?????? I hate to load up on Imodium because that stops me up for a couple of days than the D is even worse after, it's like its making up for the D I didn't have because of the Imodium!! I typically find that the D is less right after my humira shot, which I do on Thursday. I can't do the pee test Friday because I have the endoscopy and can't do it Saturday because the lab is closed Sunday and they want it at the lab no longer than 4 hours after your last pee. Any suggestions??

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Saw the gi guy new
      #282036 - 09/13/06 01:06 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Hmm, I have problems with bladder retention so I'm probably not the right person to ask...

I think it would be the easiest for you if you could do it after the Humira shot. Could you wait till the next shot?

Otherwise maybe you could take Imodium just this once and get it over with if it's ok with the doctors that you use it?

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#282040 - 09/13/06 01:13 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Thoughts and prayers . God is good - the Dr. is staying late to fit you in on Friday!

#282041 - 09/13/06 01:14 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

glad he was nice... and GREAT they are getting you in on Fri!! I don't have any advise on the pee stuff...sorry

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#282050 - 09/13/06 01:39 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

1) I really hope they figure out what is causing you so much pain!! Gastritis is no fun, I've had it a few times myself.

2) What if you drink a TON of water while you're doing it (just constantly)? Then I think you might have to pee more than normal and hopefully more than the D would occur.

#282059 - 09/13/06 02:42 PM
michele

Thanks girls. I think I will take an Imodium tomorrow morning and do the pee thing all day tomorrow. That way, when I go to the hospital Friday afternoon, I can drop it off and be done with it! I'll just put my big red plastic pee container in a tote bag so no one notices me carrying it into the office! I'm working alone tomorrow so keeping it in the fridge shouldn't be a problem! I guess they are checking for Cushions Disease, well, that will be one more thing to cross off the list of it isn't!!

--------------------

#282101 - 09/13/06 05:13 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

It's too bad you couldn't do the colonoscopy at the same time, but it's great that he's getting you in so soon for the endoscopy. Hopefully they find something.

I did the 24-hour urine test a couple months ago. Fortunately, I wasn't having any D issues at the time, but since I've got a history of D it was at the back of my mind. (okay, that sounds icky.) I made it through OK, though. I think that you're doing the best thing by taking Imodium -- I know it won't help you afterwards, but at least you'll get through the test and have one less thing to worry about.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#282158 - 09/14/06 04:39 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

hey Michele, I have the same problem with immodium. I take one, and then I get constipated for 2 days, then even worse diarrhea. Its like you said.. its like the D is making up for the time lost you not having it. One thing I do is take half an immodium. Meaning, I split one pill in half. That doesnt constipate me, but it does slow me down a little.

#282179 - 09/14/06 07:00 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

Good luck with the endoscopy Michelle! I pray you get some answers.

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#282183 - 09/14/06 07:10 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I hope that all goes well with your tests tomorrow! I will be thinking of you and hope they can give you some answers. I was talking to hubby last night and telling him about your kitty and he said how horrible that must have been. He watched his childhood dog get hit by his school bus! It was horrible for him and his brothers to see. I hope that you are feeling better today and I would still really like to get together on a Sat. for lunch sometime. Let me know!!!

#282191 - 09/14/06 07:51 AM
michele

Yes, I'm still having a hard time with the images I saw when Chloe was hit. It kept me awake last night and I feel crappy because I didn't get enough sleep.

A Saturday afternoon lunch would be wonderful. The only thing I've got planned is a trip to the Renaissance Festival the last Saturday of September.

--------------------

#282193 - 09/14/06 07:54 AM
michele

Well, I took one Imodium this morning and have had explosive D four times already. I missed a little pee but at least got a sample from each time, I hope thats sufficient. I had better call them to find out....I guess I'll take another half of one if I have D again. I'm a bit concerned as there was a little blood in it as well but I told the gi guy yesterday that there is occasionally blood in it and he didn't seem too concerned.

--------------------

R Festival new
      #282203 - 09/14/06 08:51 AM
Mary_V

Reged: 05/09/06
Loc: Grandville, MI

The Renaissance Festival!! I LOVE going there. I've been to the one in Grand Blanc several times. I grew up in Grand Blanc. Is that the one you're going to? I don't know where all they do it. I haven't been there in a few years now. Turkey drumstick....YUM. Sounds like fun. Take some pics and post 'em. I'll have to get back there someday.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

Re: R Festival new
      #282212 - 09/14/06 09:21 AM
michele

WE make it an annuual trip!! Yeah, I think it is grand blanc, its about 40 minutes or so north of me. We are going the last weekend and they are having the sweet endings, LOTS of chocolate!!!! Here is a picture from last year!

--------------------

Re: Make it stooppppp!!! new
      #282216 - 09/14/06 09:31 AM
michele

Ok, so I've now taken a total of three Imodium, 4 donnatol and two percocet-I can't see straight or think in complete sentences but I'm still having high velocity D!!!! My poor bum is so sore, I'm at work and out of baby wipes and the tp is like sandpaper. Its 12:25 and I've been 17 times already!!!!!! I'm living on chicken broth and noodles and white rice, arghhhhhh. I do my humara shot tonight and that usually helps lets hope thats the case, my poor bum and tum just can't take anymore!!!! Another thing I don't get, there can't be anything left in my system but my tummy looks 8 months pregnant!!! I had to wear a tent of a sundress today with a little sweater over it as I couldn't stand anything around me.

I've managed to catch about 85% of my urine, not sure if thats going to be sufficent and the lab isn't answering their phone and they haven't called me back yet.

Its a good thing I've got that endoscopy scheduled tomorrow, I know I'll be getting an IV and boy will I need it, I'm already dehydrated.

--------------------

#282218 - 09/14/06 09:34 AM
Mary_V

Cool! That's great that you even dress up for it. It's such a unique place. I haven't been there in 5 or 6 years. The first time I went I got put in jail! I'm glad I didn't have to do much to get out. Sometimes they make you do some pretty stupid stuff :P I've never heard of the sweet endings thing. They have great food there. I've tried the turkey drumsticks, soup in a bread bowl, frozen yogurt in a waffle cone (YUM!!), and a big pickle. All great! I hope you have fun and feel good...and can handle the bathrooms w/ no electricity Not ideal for an IBSer, but I'm sure you'll do just fine.

--------------------
~Mary
Had surgery for rectal prolapse in Sept. '06 and feeling good now! Loving life with our IVF miracle #1.

#282219 - 09/14/06 09:35 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Ugh, when you're having D like that, cheap TP is the worst! I hope those meds start kicking in or something! That's horrible to be having such a bad attack while at work. Have you asked your doctor about taking Lomotil? It's pretty strong stuff, but it should plug you up.

#282221 - 09/14/06 09:46 AM
michele

Yeah, I think I'll ask him for a script to keep on hand tomorrow at the hospital, this is crazy and I can barley sit my butt is so irritated and sore. I can't believe I ran out of baby wipes and I don't have any tush cream or anything. I may have to close up for 10 minutes and run across the street to the pharamcy for supplies but than I worry about have to GO between here and there!

To make my day even better, a patient who sort of knows me and knows I have been trying to get pregnant, asked me when I was due!!!!! I had to explain to her that we have taken a break from that as I have some tummy problems, thus the baggy dress and bloated tummy. Not sure who was more embarrassed her or me!

--------------------

#282222 - 09/14/06 09:55 AM
michele

You should try and go this year!! I plan on going on a Saturday as I do my shot Thursday night and Fridays and Saturdays are my best day and then I'll have Sunday to recover! I'll take a couple of Imodium and a percocet before I go and I'll be sure to stock my purse with more emergency meds and baby wipes-I'm bound and determined to have at least one of two fun days this year!

We went to the beer festival back in July and I did have a good day of that so hopefully I'll get lucky again as these two things are the only things I've done this summer. We still haven't made it out to dinner for my birthday which was august 1!

I'm thinking positive and gathering all my positive energy and I WILL feel GOOD Saturday the 30th! Come on everyone, summon the force or whatever you believe it and send a good day vibe my way for September 30th!!!! I NEED to have a fun day and so does Will!

We both have an outfit to wear and if its chilly that day, I'll dress more comfy and I have a really great floor leagnth cape, shawl sorta thing we bought there a few years ago that I just adore! Its different shades of green and I actually wear it often.

--------------------

Re: Well that was nice...... new
      #282223 - 09/14/06 09:58 AM
michele

A lady just walked in that I remembered that I fixed her glasses a couple of times for her recently and she handed me a $10 bill and said that was for me to say thank you for being so nice to her and helping her out! There you have it, Karma!

--------------------

Re: R Festival...wish I could new
      #282224 - 09/14/06 10:10 AM
Mary_V

I wish I could go. But this is my last weekend before surgery. I am having surgery for rectal prolapse next Friday (9/22)!! I'll be just coming home from the hospital when you're going to the festival :P This weekend I'll be cleaning and getting everything ready for my recovery. So, I'm sure you'll be feeling better than I will be when you go on the 30th. We now live 2 - 2 1/2 hours away from GB, so it's something we would have to do on a weekend. There's always next year. Yes, think positive. It can do wonders for you. I have to remind myself that all the time right now. My nerves are starting to take over...one week until surgery!!!!!

--------------------
~Mary

#282228 - 09/14/06 10:23 AM
michele

I'm sorry Mary, I forgot about yor surgery, brain fog. I remember you talking about it now. I think Advin (sp?) just had a very similiar sugery. I'm sure you must be getting anxious about it. Maybe talk to your doctor about giving you some mild sedtives to get you through until after the surgery, I know stress always makes my tummy go into a tissy and thats certainly not what you need right now.

I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and eat a turkey drumstick for you! Maybe next year we can make plans to meet there!!

--------------------

#282231 - 09/14/06 10:34 AM
happystamper

Loc: Arizona

Michele, I feel so bad for you. I use immodium AD advanced, 2 at a time, but nothing else. I know I have diverticula disease, about 10 years now. But now I also have problems running when I get anxious. I also have T2 diabeted and on insulin, so this anxiety doesn't help that either. I am going to have a colonoscopy next month. Keep us posted as to how your endoscopy goes.
I think I am beginning to find my way around this message board and glad I found it. I am on one for diabetes but I think sometimes they get tired of me talking about this problem I have. Most of their suggestions I can't use. I guess I could try but don't think I could use them. Read you later - happystamper - Sharon

#282237 - 09/14/06 10:53 AM
Ulrika

Just sending you big hugs as usual. You are in my prayers.

Hugs,

Ulrika

#282239 - 09/14/06 10:59 AM
michele

Thanks girls, it is calming down a bit, only a couple of trips in the last hour. I finally talked to a woman at the lab and explain to her my "issue" with the 24 hour urine sample and she was a bit amused. She asked if everyday was like this and I was like YEP and she said to just make a note and they will see what they can do but I may have to repeat it in the future. I also explain that I can't be 100% sure there is no stool in the sample as what passes for my "stool" is bright neon yellow stomach bile so its not like I can look and see brown and go oops or anything! I can see how the woman would be amused, I apologized to her for being so blunt but there really isn't any other way to explain it! Well, if I don't laugh at all this stuff I'm going to have a meltdown!!

--------------------

#282243 - 09/14/06 11:04 AM
jen1013

Ugh, that sucks. Three Imodium is definitely not enough to stop you up if you're having really bad D. Back when I had D all the time it wasn't unusual for me to take 15 Imodium in one day ... and I'd still have 2-3 BMs.

I guess it probably doesn't matter too much what you're eating since it seems to all go straight through anyway, but when I had really bad D I couldn't handle white rice -- it just went straight through me. I ate fat-free saltines (I couldn't handle regular saltines), white bread (I made it myself so I knew what was in it -- flour, sugar, salt, water, and yeast), and instant mashed potatoes. The mashed potatoes were safe, just dehydrated potatoes with no dairy or anything, and I made them with only salt and hot water. I added a little bit more water than normal so that it was the consistency of pudding, and while it wasn't very interesting to eat, it had the best chance of sticking with me.

I hope the afternoon goes a bit better for you.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: happystamper new
      #282248 - 09/14/06 11:12 AM
michele

welcome to the boards! Getting anxious or any sort of stress always sends me running and this week has been extra stressful as I witnessed by kitty cat getting hit and killed by a car and my on going health issues.

Is your diabetes stable with your insulin? My blood sugar seems to be relatively ok so far, which is good but my brother in law and my mom are both hypoglycemic. I know its not the same but its still a struggle.

--------------------

#282249 - 09/14/06 11:13 AM
Mary_V

Yes, next September we'll both be feeling wonderful!! And we'll be able to enjoy lots of turkey drumsticks For now I'll have to imagine my ice chips are turkey :P Maybe we can make it a MI IBS gathering.

--------------------
~Mary

#282250 - 09/14/06 11:16 AM
michele

Mmmm, mashed potatoes sounds yummy. I can't believe I'm hungry but I guess with every thing running right through, I'm not absorbing too much. I have some instant mashers at home, I'll check the ingredients and maybe I'll try that for dinner tonight!

I'm trying not to take way lots of imodium because I've been trying to see how the humira injections affect the D. I've done 4 injections but one week, I had my period which makes me C for the first two days, the next two shots, I was in a lot of pain and took a LOT of narcotics which can sometimes slow things down. Than last week, I was in the ER Tuesday and everything got wacky so I want to try and see if its the humira thats actually making the D better or if its the other things. I guess I just need to concentrate on getting through this day.....

--------------------

#282252 - 09/14/06 11:19 AM
michele

Oh, thats a good idea!!! Any other Michiganders interested in making it a gathering at the Ren Fen next September????? They only have porta-pots so not ideal IBS surroundings but they have lots of them!!!!

Keep thinking positive, we WILL be feeling by next September, hopefully long before than!!!

--------------------

Michelle new
      #282308 - 09/14/06 04:43 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

You poor thing!! Nothing seems to go your way!! I hope you made it through the rest of your day alright.

Best of luck for tomorrow's scope. I know I'm already anxious, and mine is next Thurs.

Take care - HUGGGGGGSSSSSS!!!!!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: Wasn't so bad after all new
      #282345 - 09/15/06 06:53 AM
michele

Well the D was terrible but otherwise I had a lady give me a $10 tip just for being nice and I was supposed to have an appt Wednesday after work to get my hair trimmed and some how the receptionist messed it up so I had to go back last night. I've been having the same girl do my hair for years and have sent a lot of people to her. I really wasn't upset about the mix it, its just 2 blocks from the office and I went right after work so not a bit deal but she cut my hair last night for FREE and wouldn't even accept a tip!

The D finally stopped around 4 but than I just felt "empty" and like I got kicked by a horse. Had trouble sleeping again last night but don't feel to awful today. We have a bunch of patients crammed in this morning because I have to leave at 1:30 for my appt.

I dropped off my 24 hour sample this morning and the woman was like thats ALL of it??? I told her other than the few drops that I couldn't get, yeah. She said it wasn't very much at all but I told her when its running out the other end at high speeds, there really isn't much else left to pee out! She said I was either having kidney problems or VERY dyhdrated, I'm sure its dehyrdation. Doesn't help I can't eat or drink at all today because of the endoscopy but I'm sure I'll suck down a few IV bags of saline while I'm there!

I doubt I'll be back on line till Monday so don't worry if I don't report back right away. Its a pretty simple procedure and I doubt anything will go wrong, unless they can't give me enough sedation-I'm pretty resistant to there medications for that.

If I don't get a chance to post much today because we are busy, I'll be sure to catch up Monday! Everyone have a happy weekend!

--------------------

Re: Wasn't so bad after all new
      #282361 - 09/15/06 07:42 AM
jen1013

Hey, free haircut -- always a good deal.

Good luck with your endoscopy this afternoon -- I'll be thinking of you. I hope that they can get the tests they need out of the 24-hour urine test and that you don't have to go through that again. Drink lots of fluids once you're done with the endoscopy.

--------------------
jen

Re: Thanks Jen! - nt new
      #282367 - 09/15/06 08:26 AM
michele

--------------------

Michelle- I've been offline for awhile.. new
      #282373 - 09/15/06 08:41 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04

but ick.. I am so sorry to see this mess.. I hope it all works out and they can get this resolved..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Michelle- I've been offline for awhile.. new
      #282383 - 09/15/06 09:12 AM
michele

Thanks Amie, I was wondering where you disappeared to! My appt is in a couple of hours, hopefully it will give them a clue. However, since I did my humira shot last night, I feel ok today.

--------------------

Just wanted to say good luck! new
      #282394 - 09/15/06 09:58 AM
Ulrika

Hi Michele!

Just wanted to wish you good luck with the endoscopy.

Do you have any idea of how long it will take before you know if the Humira will have more long term effects?

My bowels were exactly the way I like them to be after doing the BTC diet for 2 days. Today they were not as slow as I like them to be though but I guess that was because I didn't sleep enough and was a bit nervous about my doctor's appointment. Almost always get nervous before doctor's appointments. Don't know why exactly...

Anyway, I saw my GP today. She has actually been really nice and understanding the last 2 appointments. So then what happens? She tells me she is moving so I will have to find another GP after Xmas. Hope I find a good one. (The good ones do have a tendency to be full booked though...)

Good news anyway: I asked her about the possibility of using loperamide during pregnancy and she said it was basically totally up to me to decide what I could cope with. She actually said that the baby won't be well if I'm not and that I need to have some sort of a life too during pregnancy so... Sounds promising. Now all I have to do is get my licentiate degree (Swedish half-way to PhD degree) out of the way and oh, yes, get married, and, that's right, start the vitamin supplements (which I have stayed away from for a while out of fear they might make the IBS worse)... Then we should hopefully be good to go...

More good news: I have had problems off and on with low HB-value (not sure if you call it that, but anyway, it's the blood value related to iron). I had a bit too low HB value in the beginning of the summer and close to too low iron level as well. But today's HB-value was better! I was now in the normal range! I find it hard to get enough iron without supplements as I of course don't eat red meat and I have problems with green leafy vegetables. I have no idea what I've done/eaten to make the value better.

So, hope you'll have some good news too. And be sure to suck up plenty of fluid at the hospital!!!

Hugs,

Ulrika, IBS-D

Oh, and Michele... new
      #282402 - 09/15/06 10:20 AM
Ulrika

My doctor was actually so cooperative today that she without any protests agreed to refer me to a "bowel therapist" at the GI department of the university hospital so that I can learn all the tips and tricks that could possibly be useful for me to help the damaged anal sphincter part of my problem so to speak. Apparently, miracles do still happen.

Hugs,

Ulrika, IBS-D

thats good.. new
      #282405 - 09/15/06 10:32 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04

at least you aren't that uncomfortable right now.. *HUG* I'll post more in a few minutes..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: happystamper new
      #282465 - 09/15/06 05:55 PM
happystamper

Loc: Arizona

Michells, yes my bs is stable with my insulin. I take a fast-acting one (humalog) before each meal and levemir (long lasting) at bedtime. My daughter has hypoglycemia also. But she says not that often and she never tests. She just doesn't feel very good, eats something and then feels better.
I saw my dr. yesterday and we both decided that I should forget the citricel I was taking and just wait until my colonoscopy next month. In a way I'm not looking forward to it because of the prep. On the other hand I wish I was having it sooner so I would know what is going on. Oh, well, I guess I just have to wait. Sharon W

Re: Just wanted to say good luck! new
      #282787 - 09/18/06 08:19 AM
michele

Well, congrats on the good appt with the doc! Sounds very promising!!

Your iron count will definitely be important for pregnancy so glad to hear thats rising as well!

From my understanding, with each shot of the humira, things should get better for about 3 months or so. Apparently it takes about 3 months to feel the full affect but so far it is helping a lot with the joint pain and fatigue. I do them weekly and have done 5 injections. No improvement on my bowels so not sure if thats an indication that I don't have crohns or just exactly what it means. If the humira allows me to get off the steroids, that will be a big improvement. I have decreased the steroid dose but my hands are swelling up again so not sure if the humira is helping or if its just the steroids?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 538 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6629

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review