All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Saw the gi guy
      #282029 - 09/13/06 12:10 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Ok, well at least he was nice. A quirky old guy but seemed to listen. The crohns guy had talked to him and sent him some of my records which he reviewed before I got there. Apparently the crohns guy told him how bad I have been hurting and they had already arranged a time for me to have the upper endoscopy this Friday afternoon!

We went over my medical stuff. He listened to my lungs and poked and prodded me. My belly was very talkative and grumbled and boiled for him to hear without his stethoscope! He actually scolded my tummy for talking back to him!

This "newer" pain I've been having in my upper right quadrant is really awful and I thought it might be an ulcer but he doesn't think so because eating makes it worse, not better. It may be gastritis or it may be the costochondritis, inflammation in the chest wall and surrounding area. You can actually see swelling in between and just under my boobs.

I started to reduce my steroids this past Saturday and I'm all swollen up again and the doc today said I had better go back up to the regular dose. UGH! I REALLY want off the steroids but I couldn't argue with him as the swelling is pretty bad and does hurt a lot.

I asked him about doing a colonoscopy at the same time and he said that the crohns guy just requested the upper scope and that I would have to talk to him about that. He agreed you can't rule out/in crohns without it but said the crohns guy may have a reason for not doing it yet?? So, for now, we are scheduled to do just the upper endoscopy Friday at 2:30. He said he just won't know anything until he looks with the scope.

My boss isn't real happy about me taking a Friday afternoon off as that is one of the days he is here but its not like I have a choice. It usually takes 4 weeks or so to get this done but he is working late to "do" me this Friday because he knows I'm in so much pain. I also told the doc that I have a high tolerance for the sedation medication and he said he figured aa much after looking at my list of drugs I take. He said as long as my pressure doesn't drop, he will give me as much as I need!

The other thing he wants me to do is a 24 hours urine sample. Sounds easy enough but after I talked to the nurse, I'm bit concerned. I have explosive diarrhea on average 10 plus times a day. For those of you with D, have you ever tried NOT to pee while having D?? Its very difficult for me to do one and not the other. I can't get any poo in the pee either or it will ruin the test. The nurse didn't have any idea's?????? I hate to load up on Imodium because that stops me up for a couple of days than the D is even worse after, it's like its making up for the D I didn't have because of the Imodium!! I typically find that the D is less right after my humira shot, which I do on Thursday. I can't do the pee test Friday because I have the endoscopy and can't do it Saturday because the lab is closed Sunday and they want it at the lab no longer than 4 hours after your last pee. Any suggestions??

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Saw the gi guy new
      #282036 - 09/13/06 01:06 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

Hmm, I have problems with bladder retention so I'm probably not the right person to ask...

I think it would be the easiest for you if you could do it after the Humira shot. Could you wait till the next shot?

Otherwise maybe you could take Imodium just this once and get it over with if it's ok with the doctors that you use it?

/Ulrika, IBS-D

#282040 - 09/13/06 01:13 PM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

Thoughts and prayers . God is good - the Dr. is staying late to fit you in on Friday!

#282041 - 09/13/06 01:14 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

glad he was nice... and GREAT they are getting you in on Fri!! I don't have any advise on the pee stuff...sorry

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#282050 - 09/13/06 01:39 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

1) I really hope they figure out what is causing you so much pain!! Gastritis is no fun, I've had it a few times myself.

2) What if you drink a TON of water while you're doing it (just constantly)? Then I think you might have to pee more than normal and hopefully more than the D would occur.

#282059 - 09/13/06 02:42 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Thanks girls. I think I will take an Imodium tomorrow morning and do the pee thing all day tomorrow. That way, when I go to the hospital Friday afternoon, I can drop it off and be done with it! I'll just put my big red plastic pee container in a tote bag so no one notices me carrying it into the office! I'm working alone tomorrow so keeping it in the fridge shouldn't be a problem! I guess they are checking for Cushions Disease, well, that will be one more thing to cross off the list of it isn't!!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#282101 - 09/13/06 05:13 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

It's too bad you couldn't do the colonoscopy at the same time, but it's great that he's getting you in so soon for the endoscopy. Hopefully they find something.

I did the 24-hour urine test a couple months ago. Fortunately, I wasn't having any D issues at the time, but since I've got a history of D it was at the back of my mind. (okay, that sounds icky.) I made it through OK, though. I think that you're doing the best thing by taking Imodium -- I know it won't help you afterwards, but at least you'll get through the test and have one less thing to worry about.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#282158 - 09/14/06 04:39 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

hey Michele, I have the same problem with immodium. I take one, and then I get constipated for 2 days, then even worse diarrhea. Its like you said.. its like the D is making up for the time lost you not having it. One thing I do is take half an immodium. Meaning, I split one pill in half. That doesnt constipate me, but it does slow me down a little.

#282179 - 09/14/06 07:00 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

Good luck with the endoscopy Michelle! I pray you get some answers.

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#282183 - 09/14/06 07:10 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

I hope that all goes well with your tests tomorrow! I will be thinking of you and hope they can give you some answers. I was talking to hubby last night and telling him about your kitty and he said how horrible that must have been. He watched his childhood dog get hit by his school bus! It was horrible for him and his brothers to see. I hope that you are feeling better today and I would still really like to get together on a Sat. for lunch sometime. Let me know!!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 270 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6629

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review