All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Update on Dad, for those who care to know
      #281491 - 09/10/06 06:41 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, I got back on Thursday from a week and a half down in NJ, spending time with my dad. I'm so glad I went, and got to be with him for a while before he gets sick and weak, but don't be fooled for a second - it was hard. So hard that all I've done for the past 2 days is sleep and gorge myself on bad food. I know I'm not coping well, but I don't know what else to do.

The doctors have found spots/tumors on his stomach, esophagus, liver, pancreas, left lung, spleen. The stomach/esophagus tumor is definitely cancer. He had a PET scan on Thursday that will hopefully show that the rest of it isn't cancer, but I'm really afraid to get my hopes up too much.

They're starting him on chemo ASAP.

His doctors are all very optimistic that he'll pull through this just fine. That makes him feel better, which is good, because keeping HIM positive and optimistic is so important. I, on the other hand, don't trust doctors as far as I can throw them, so I'm just plain worried. Constantly, night and day.

Thanks for all the good thoughts and wishes and whatnot... it's comforting to know that so many people are pulling for him - that kind of energy's gotta count for something!

*hugs* to everyone!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Update on Dad, for those who care to know new
      #281503 - 09/10/06 08:14 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

My heart goes out to you and your family. It's a really hard time, I know. Please know that you still have a "family" here if you ever need us. Big hugs to you and yours!!!!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#281507 - 09/10/06 08:28 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I know it's hard, Casey. I sometimes think that cancer patients' families have almost as hard a time as the patient - and they usually get less support. I'm not sure there is a good way to cope with this, so do the best you can. Things will settle down once the first shock and grief ease up a little.

I'll be thinking of you and your dad and hoping the spots outside his stomach/esophagous are just that - spots. I know what you mean about not wanting to get your hopes up too much, but you wouldn't believe how many of my perfectly healthy organs have spots, dents, and dings on them.

I have lots to say about oncologists - almost all of it good. If you want to talk about it, drop me an email. Here I'll just say that you always have the option of a second opinion and if you and your dad decide you want one, I'll be happy to pass along what I know about docs in New Jersey and Manhattan.

I'm hoping chemotherapy goes as easily as possible for your dad.

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#281510 - 09/10/06 09:15 AM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I hope everything goes just as well for your dad as the doctors say. Try not to freak too much about the PET scan -- I've heard it's often very common to get false positives. I know, I know, easier said than done.

Worrying/coping is exhausting ... take care of yourself. Best wishes for your father's recovery.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Thanks for the update! new
      #281511 - 09/10/06 09:16 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

You and your family are definitely in my thoughts, Casey. My email box is always open if you need someone to talk to!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#281512 - 09/10/06 09:21 AM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

I can't even imagine how hard this is on you. Take good care of your dad, but don't forget to take care of you too.

HUGS

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

#281515 - 09/10/06 09:44 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Big hugs to you and your Dad Casey! I continue to keep your family in my prayers!

#281527 - 09/10/06 10:49 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I hope things go smoothly for your Dad. Take care of yourself too.

#281534 - 09/10/06 11:52 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Casey,

I am so glad that you were able to spend time with your father. Don't be so hard on yourself about eating the wrong things. You are going through a lot of stress right now and sometimes it helps to just be able to eat whatever you want. I know that probably would sound silly to someone who never has to think about what they eat.

I have been through cancer with my FIL and my MIL. It is difficult on everyone. Lots of worry and stress is normal. You are there for your Dad and he is very lucky but remember to look out for youself too. There is tons of info out there on cancer and chemo either on line or books. Do research so that you are informed, remember information is power especially when it comes to our health.

I will keep you, your Dad and your family in my prayers.

You have my e-mail if you need to talk.

Love and hugs,

Janey

--------------------
Janey

Casey new
      #281536 - 09/10/06 11:59 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

It's really good to hear from you. I'm so sorry your poor father is going through such crisis. That has GOT to be awful to witness. There but for the grace of God go I, for now anyhow. You are in my thoughts and prayers as is your dad. We'll be pulling for him.

Keep your rest up and nourish your body, and try to nourish your soul however you can at this time. It does make a difference.

We all love you. Take care!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 377 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7642

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review