All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Awww, Michele! new
      #281823 - 09/12/06 11:32 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Well I'm glad you have been able to spend some good time with him lately. I know how hard the chemo can be on people but they have also come out with some new drugs to combat the side effects so hopefully he will get through it without too much difficulty.

I remember seeing pictures of your area in the fall before and it is very beautiful. I live in Mi but live in the suburbs so its not nearly as pretty as the country side by your house.

Maybe you guys could plan a trip to a cider mill, thats one of my favorite things to do in the fall. Honestly, if I can help with anything please let me know. Babble all you want, you deserve it! Love and hugs

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Sending big hugs your way... new
      #281834 - 09/12/06 12:01 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Sending a bigger hug and prayers for you and your Dad. As long as he has started treatment it is better for him. As for your hand, ouch. Take care of it. go easy on yourself as well. Take care . Sue

BIG HUGS, atomic! new
      #281862 - 09/12/06 02:17 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I'm so sorry for this devestating news. He is lucky to have you in his life! I know you are a great comfort to him.

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

~nelly~

Casey- I am so sorry to hear this... new
      #282376 - 09/15/06 08:45 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

but at least they are talking treatment.. my uncle refused to do more then surgery when he got diagnosed and has been going downhill rapidly sense..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

How is your father doing? new
      #282970 - 09/18/06 11:41 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Chemo is really awful ... I hope that he is handling it okay.

And how are you doing?

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Aww, thanks for asking! new
      #282976 - 09/19/06 04:43 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I was going to post a quick update today anyway... there wasn't any news until last night.

He starts chemo on October 2. He'll get it for 5 days in a row, then he'll be off (no chemo) for 3 weeks. His doctor is confident that he'll do well with it, and because he's young and strong, they're giving him 3 drugs at a pop instead of 2. He's really nervous about it - he's heard or read online all kinds of horror stories about people dying from the chemo - but I've told him that his chances are better with it than without!

He had a liver biopsy (just confirming things) and also had the "port" put in for his chemo at the end of last week, so he's sore and cranky - heh - but other than that, he's doing ok for now.

I'm doing ok - hanging in there. It's going to sound awful, but I'm trying to not think about it... you know, brooding and getting more depressed isn't doing either one of us any good. So I'm getting on with my life, such as it is.

Thanks for asking about us!

Re: Aww, thanks for asking! new
      #283009 - 09/19/06 08:42 AM
michele

I think you have a good plan. You are right, getting yourself worked up and depressed isn't helping anyone!!

I had a liver biopsy a few years back and man, it hurt! I bet he is sore and cranky! Sending well wishes that he will do just fine with the chemo! Does he have some cool hats in case his hair falls out? Maybe you could knit him some funky stocking caps since its getting colder!

--------------------

Hehehehe new
      #283013 - 09/19/06 08:54 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

His hair falling out is the biggest joke going right now. Dad started losing his hair when he was 30, so all that's left is a tiny bit around the back of his head, which is almost completely white, and he keeps practically shaved. So of course when he went to the oncologist's, he took off his hat and asked if he was going to lose his hair. That's my dad!

I thought I'd wait and make sure that his sense of humor stays intact, but yeah, I'm planning on at least one REALLY silly hat - I don't even care if he ever wears them out of the house, as long as he gets a laugh out of it. I know I will! LOL!

He was mostly cranky about the biopsy because everyone he talked to said it wouldn't hurt!

Re: Hehehehe new
      #283017 - 09/19/06 09:03 AM
michele

Yeah, they told me it wouldn't hurt too and damn, it HURT!!!!!

I think a funky hat is just what he needs! Like you said even if he never wears it, it will make him smile! Who knows though, your dad sounds like a character, I can see him wearing it to the local hardware store just to see what sort of reaction he will get!

--------------------

Re: Aww, thanks for asking! new
      #283094 - 09/19/06 07:03 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I hope your dad does well, Casey. And I'm glad you're doing okay -- I know how hard it is to have a sick parent. I don't think your method of coping is awful -- if it helps you and doesn't hurt others, there's nothing wrong with it. Whatever gets you through the night.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 670 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7677

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review