IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ashley- how's the new job and the new place? new
      #280430 - 08/30/06 01:38 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hey!

Thanks for asking! I've been meaning to do a new update, but i've been busy, and haven't felt like posting all that often!!

Anyways, the new place is great! I've got a pool here in my complex, and a gym (which I have yet to use, but I go to the pool on a daily basis ). The place is bigger than my old one, and is full of young professionals. Now I just need to get out there and meet them. I have made a few friends here though! At my work orientation, I met two other psychs that live in my complex!! yay! They are so nice, and I've hung out with them a few times. One of them actually went to HS with me in pittsburgh, but I never knew him. He graduated in 96, and I graduated in 99. His gf is great though, and I'm hoping we become really good friends. The best part is is that he has direct TV with NFL ticket so I can watch all of my steelers games. I already have a terrible towel, and a new license plate on the way. haha.

As for the job, it's going well!! I am living in a really great area, however, the schools I am working in are in a really bad area, and are about 25 minutes away which really sucks in the morning.

On mondays and tuesdays i'm at the middle school. Probably my least favorite placement. Yesterday we had to call the cops on one kid with an emotional disorder because he tried to escape and kept saying the F word. lovely.

On wednesdays i'm at the highschool and surprisingly I love it there (except for the fact that I need to be there by 6:45 am, and its half an hour away). I thought I would hate the HS, so I'm pleasantly surprised. The kids are fabulous, and on my first day I had already had little impromptu counseling sessions with five of them. Most of them are really troubled; some are on parole, most have crack addict parents, pregnant little sisters etc. It's a huge change from my old job where everyone was beyond rich and didn't really have huge problems. However, the kids are sweet- if you can look past all their troubles.

Thursdays and Fridays i'm in the elementary school which I also love. I love the little kids, and I'm thinking this will be my favorite placement. Tomorrow will be my first day there with the kids.

The only crappy part is getting up so early everyday. I'm really hurting and SUCK at going to bed before midnight. I'm hoping that I get used to it really soon. I've also recently developed a love for coffee (starbucks iced coffee with a shot of vanilla to be exact). I've always hated coffee, but now i'm in love. It really helps out at times like these.

In other news, my high school bf, that I haven't seen in 6 years is coming up next weekend and staying at my place. I assume it will be a platonic visit, but it will be fun to catch up. Especially since we are both single.

I think that about covers everything. Thanks again for asking!!

--------------------

Re:About the middle school.... new
      #280469 - 08/31/06 05:09 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I have 3 years experience. I taught 789. Anything I can help with let me know. It's the toughest age, I think, because they can go either way then. It's a critical age for most kids. So much turbulence. Our school had more suspensions than the rest of the whole school board combined!!!!!! Anyhoo, you know where to find me!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Ashley- how's the new job and the new place? new
      #280473 - 08/31/06 06:21 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

Wow, your life sounds so exciting right now- a new place to live, meeting new people, a new job, and let's not forget about the old high school boyfriend who is visiting!

Although I am not a teacher, I agree with what Alicia said about the middle school age. I think that is when so many kids are starting to rebel. Plus, they are really getting thrust into the world of drugs, alcohol, and violence if they haven't already. It is so sad what this world has come to and what young kids face these days. It makes me scared to raise children. It is good to know that there are people like you who care and are there to listen to the children.

So, I think we definitely need to hear more about this old boyfriend who is coming to visit. What prompted the visit? Whatever the situation, it sounds like it could be a fun (and interesting) weekend! We'll be waiting for an update next week!

--------------------

Thanks Alicia new
      #280546 - 08/31/06 02:17 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

I hope that you're doing okay right now. I'm so sorry I haven't emailed back yet, but like you can see, my life has been crazy with school just starting etc. I'll get back to you as soon as I can!!

--------------------

HS BF new
      #280548 - 08/31/06 02:26 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

well.. it's completely random. We dated throughout most of highschool, and broke up when we went to college. I went to umass, he went to wake forest. We didn't break up for any reason really other than the fact that we were about 11 hours away from one another and in his case, I was his first kiss, and his first everything else. I think he probably wanted to play the field. At the time I was devestated- just cause he was my first love, and our senior superlative voted us couple most likely to get married blah blah blah.

Anyways, seven-ish years past, and we kinda fell out of touch. His family moved to Ohio, and my family moved to Virginia so we wouldnt' see each other at holidays or anything. We would talk every once in awhile on AIM, but never more than once or twice a year.

He randomly found me a few months ago on myspace and we emailed back and forth a bit more. He told me that I should really come down to visit him in Georgia (where he lives now), and I said he's more than welcome in Maryland too if he's ever in the are (not really thinking it would ever happen).

Well a few weeks ago he emailed me that he decided to go to a wedding last minute in Maryland. So he wanted to come up earlier and hang out with me. I won't even be seeing him for more than 24 hours. I'm picking him up from the airport at 9pm next thurs night, and he's staying over. Then his friends are picking him up on the way to the wedding on friday at about 5ish.

It should be interesting. He emailed me yesterday and said, "Say hi to your mom for me, just a little joke." I said I will, but why is it a joke? He said, because I want to make sure she still likes me best (prob cause he knows my family is still obsessed with him after all of these years). I'm not sure what that means though.. maybe just trying to make conversation.

I'll keep you updated....

As for the kids, many of them are in so much trouble lately. I love kids myself, and have always wanted at least five. However, working with some of these kids makes me wonder....

--------------------

Hmmmmmmmmm..... new
      #280551 - 08/31/06 02:35 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I can't wait to hear how this one plays out! It sounds like he is still carrying a flame for you! I'm not really familiar with myspace (just recently started using it), but is it possible for him to randomly find you? I know this is jumping way ahead, but you know what they say about things being meant to be?! What if it was meant for the two of you to go your separate ways and meet up later on to settle down and have those 5 kids? Sounds like a perfect time since you just graduated from college!

I'm just an old married lady so I have to live vicariously through someone!!

--------------------

Re: Hmmmmmmmmm..... new
      #280558 - 08/31/06 04:13 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

well some of my myspace friends are friends from HS, and we shared the same circle of friends throughout HS, so I assume he saw me on their pages.

I don't want to get my hopes up bc it probably won't happen, but it would be fun! I'm not gonna lie

--------------------

Ashley new
      #280570 - 08/31/06 07:08 PM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

What area of Maryland are you working in? Just curious because I live in MD and I know there are some scary neighborhoods.

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 195 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2936

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review