All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Am back on Effexor and feeling good....
      #280308 - 08/29/06 02:52 PM
nuggs1968

Reged: 06/26/06

Hi all...

I've been away for a couple days trying to get to feeling better. I started taking Effexor again Sunday and am already feeling better. I haven't needed any Imodium for two days! I go get an ultrasound this Thursday on my ovary to check a cyst and I'm not even nervous thinking about it. I hope this improvement continues.

Thanks and hugs to all of you for your support through the difficult times I've had lately.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Am back on Effexor and feeling good.... new
      #280310 - 08/29/06 02:55 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Nuggett,

I am glad that you are feeling better. I hope you will still stick around with us here. We missed you the last time you left.

hugs,

--------------------
Janey

#280321 - 08/29/06 05:32 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

So glad you are feeling better Nuggs! It just took some time to adjust to being on the meds again. Hope hubby is happy too that you are feeling better! MEN! They are such pains in the butt sometimes aren't they???!?!?!
Good luck with your appt. about your cyst too!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#280369 - 08/30/06 09:39 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Thats wonderful! So glad to hear you are feeling better. I'm sure not even your hubby is going to be able to agrue the imrpovement!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Great! new
      #280374 - 08/30/06 09:49 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I hope your improvement continues. We all like to hear success stories!!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#280441 - 08/30/06 04:22 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

So glad to hear it.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#280644 - 09/01/06 01:19 PM
nuggs1968

Awwww, thanks Janey....I'm not going anywhere. {{{hugs}}}

#280645 - 09/01/06 01:20 PM
nuggs1968

thanks Michele....
hubby even seems a bit happier. I incresed the effexor today to 75mg....hope the weekend goes good. {{{hugs}}}

#280646 - 09/01/06 01:22 PM
nuggs1968

thanks Lisa....{{{hugs}}}

yes, men can be real pains in the butts sometimes. I think he's a bit happier now that I'm feeling better. I'm still on the "beginning stages" of the med....increased it today to 75mg. So it hopefully can only get better from here.

Re: Great! new
      #280647 - 09/01/06 01:22 PM
nuggs1968

thanks Snowy....{{{hugs}}}

#280648 - 09/01/06 01:23 PM
nuggs1968

thanks Flipada..{{{hugs}}}

Ovarian cyst update..... new
      #280649 - 09/01/06 01:33 PM
nuggs1968

Well....I had an ultrasound yesterday to check the ovarian cyst. I thought it was just going to be an "external" ultrasound (never had this done before)....but surprise, surprise....they did an "internal" one also. The doctor's office called early this morning and said the doc wants to visit with me about the results. So I go see him next Wednesday. So....I'm thinking to myself....it must not be that bad....otherwise they would have had me come in right away.....but, they must have found something....otherwise they would have just told me on the phone all was fine. So will try to keep my mind off it over the long weekend. Meanwhile....I started my second period of the month on Monday and have been "spotting" all week with cramping. I just had one on Aug. 5th. I asked the doctor's office (nurse) if that could be due to the cyst and she said yes if it's fibroid tumor. So we'll see next week. The Effexor has been helping...increased it today to 75mg.

{{hugs}}} to all Thanks!!!

The Wand new
      #280673 - 09/01/06 03:55 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Ugh, I remember that test. I was like, 19, and watching them put the condom on the "wand" thinking, uh, WHERE are you going to be putting that?? Dignity, begone!

Glad to hear you came through it.

~nelly~

Re: The Wand new
      #280685 - 09/01/06 07:15 PM
nuggs1968

thanks Nelly....yep...it was quite a surprise. 'Course, lately, I've been examined so much...nothing should really be much of a surprise. A couple weeks ago, I had a tiny camera scope inserted into my bladder. Compared to that, "the wand" was a breeze.

Re: Ovarian cyst update..... new
      #280689 - 09/01/06 09:35 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I hope everything turns out okay with the cyst, and I'm so glad that you're feeling better on the Effexor! I was actually thinking about you and was about to post asking how you were doing when you posted your update about going back on Effexor.

I'm glad your husband also seems to be doing a bit better -- I think it can be very frustrating to be the "healthy" person and feel so helpless over not being able to really understand or help out the person who's not doing well. I know there are times when I feel like my husband and I are on different sides of a ten-foot brick wall.

Hope you enjoy your long weekend!

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Re: The Wand new
      #280749 - 09/03/06 11:45 AM
Nelly

Oooo, you win. I've just been thinking about the technicians who do those tests. I think all tehcnicians should be subjected to those tests before they are able to do them.

I humbly offer to administer my "favorites" right back to the hack technicians who subjected me to them-- the non-anesthesia colonoscopy, the painful and embarrassing barium enema, the sigmoidoscopy (with gut wrenching air puffs), and of course, the wand administered sonogram!!!

~nelly~ (Is that sick and twisted...?)

help new
      #280751 - 09/03/06 12:07 PM
cynthia123

Reged: 09/03/06

I also take effexor I was wondering if I am the only one that gets nausa and just feels like death warmed over.I take it in spells and will have c or d one of the two and just feel so Ill.I will just feel so sick and just take meds for nausa and drink water and have to go to bed and it last sometimes a month or maybe I will be lucky and it will only be a week,but I get so sick,I have been tested for everything,and been to doctor after doctor for 10 years,I just feel like I may die,I was young and healthy and it just took my life over, does anyone else understand, does anyone else feel sick? nausa I had sugery a nissin for reflux and I am still sick. I need some support please
Cindy

Re: The Wand?!?!?! HELP! new
      #280758 - 09/03/06 03:33 PM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

I am going to the radiology place this thursday to get a ultrasound with tv whatever that means. My OBGYN suspects that I have ovarian cysts and wants to verify it. What should I be expecting? What is this 'wand thing'?? Help! Im scared

If it's what I think they mean... new
      #280781 - 09/04/06 07:20 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

it's an internal ultrasound. I had one at my ultrasound for my 20 week pregnancy visit---it's essentially, well...a wand! And the technician put a condom on it and then had ME insert it (weird). It didn't hurt at all. I'm not sure if you will have the same thing but do NOT stress, it won't hurt. A little awkward, but that's it.

--------------------

a caveat ... new
      #280852 - 09/05/06 07:49 AM
jen1013

If intercourse or pelvic exams are painful for you, then this type of ultrasound WILL hurt. And if you do have ovarian cysts, it will likely be painful while they are pressing the wand in the direction of the ovary that has the cysts.

I don't want to freak you out, but at the same time, forewarned is forearmed, so if you do have any pain issues during sex/exams then take some pain medication (even Tylenol, but if your stomach could handle it I'd recommend Motrin) about 30-40 minutes before your ultrasound.

If you don't have any problems with sex or pelvic exams, most likely you'll be fine. And, heck, even if it does hurt, you'll be fine anyway -- it doesn't last very long and once they stop poking around in there the pain will die down.

Good luck. Close your eyes and think of England.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Good point!-nt new
      #280856 - 09/05/06 07:59 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

--------------------

Re: help new
      #280857 - 09/05/06 08:01 AM
nuggs1968

sorry you are feeling so sick. Try making sure you take your effexor with a meal and that may help with the nausea. I haven't had that problem...but I always take mine with a meal. Usually with lunch. How much are you taking? How long have you been taking it?

Re: Ovarian cyst update..... new
      #280862 - 09/05/06 08:09 AM
nuggs1968

thanks jen...

Hubby and I had a fairly good weekend at our cabin on the mountain. I wasn't feeling all that well, though. After a week of "spotting", my period finally started heavy on Saturday. Joy! Joy! So I toughed it out and loaded up on Advil. Yesterday was better and we went for a ride on our 4-wheelers. A bit tired today. I go visit my doc tomorrow morning about the ovarian cyst. That may be what's causing my period problems. As for the effexor....it continues to help although still at the very early stages. I have high hopes that it will continue to help even more the longer i'm back on it. {{hugs}}

LOL!! Nelly! -nt- new
      #280864 - 09/05/06 08:11 AM
nuggs1968

Re: The Wand?!?!?! HELP! new
      #280870 - 09/05/06 08:26 AM
nuggs1968

it's painless and nothing to stress about. It's just a "wand" that is inserted for an internal ultrasound. Doesn't hurt a bit. Just close your eyes and try to relax. It's simple.

Re: a caveat ... new
      #280874 - 09/05/06 08:47 AM
michele

I used to call this the dildo cam! When I was going through my fertility treatments, I'd have one of these internal ultrasounds everyday for two weeks straight to check follicle growth. Did that for 8 months, loads of fun! Some days it was more uncomfortable than others, especially just before I ovulated but I was also on mega fertility drugs and would produce 10-15 follicles on average per month.

Like the above posted said, if sex is painful you might find this to be as well but mostly, its just sort of embarrassing.

--------------------

Re: a caveat ... new
      #280876 - 09/05/06 08:59 AM
nuggs1968

Well said, Michele. I can't imagine having one of those every day. But, I agree....it's just mostly embarrassing.

Questions about treatment of ovarian cysts....HELP new
      #280879 - 09/05/06 09:03 AM
nuggs1968

My GYN's nurse called Friday about the ultrasound I had Thursday and said that the doc wants to visit with me about the results. So I go visit with him tomorrow at 8:30 in the morning. I'm a bit nervous wondering what was found and what they will have to do. What is the treatment for cysts? I told the nurse about my irregular periods and asked if the cyst would have anything to do with that. She said if it is a fibroid tumor it could cause period problems. What do they do about fibroids? Am a bit nervous and scared. I know everything will probably be fine.

Re: Questions about treatment of ovarian cysts....HELP new
      #280881 - 09/05/06 09:09 AM
michele

I'm not totally up on ovarian cysts but I know they monitored me for them because its a common side effect of fertility treatments. I know they can be very painful but usually aren't dangerous. They usually prescribe birth control pills to help shrink them. Please keep us posted, love and hugs

--------------------

I had this new
      #280900 - 09/05/06 10:29 AM
Nelly

I had a cyst scraped off when I was 16. They put me out and it was an inter-vaginal surgery-- it didn't hurt, besides some cramping and a little straining while urinating for a couple weeks afterward. They can also remove fibroids the same way with minimal trauma.

I had a cyst rupture when I was 14, and THAT hurt like hell. Once it had ruptured, they couldn't do anything for me. So I'd take the surgery any day over that. They've controlled the cysts form re-forming since then with birth control, which is also how the endo has been controlled.

~nelly~

Re: I had this new
      #280905 - 09/05/06 10:48 AM
nuggs1968

thanks for the information.....did you have irregular periods, too?

Re: I had this new
      #280919 - 09/05/06 11:49 AM
Nelly

My periods happened at regular intervals-- every 28-30 days. They weren't heavy (I had a friend whose were heavy heavy, and it was nothing by that comparison. She had to use two 8 hour pads on top of each other while she slept and still bled through those ).

My periods lasted 6 days every month though, and it was never blood. It was purple stringy things that looked like veins or red mucus-y tissue. Toward the end of the 6 days it got ligher and browner. I don't know what other people's experiences are but I never "bled," not in the traditional sense.

I also got ripping pains low in my abdomen. It felt like 1000 fishhooks stabbing me, and pulling straight DOWN. I'd be bedridden when my period came. The only thing that worked for the pain was advil, and I took up to 36 of them a day. Needless to say, just one advil would jumpstart my IBS, so I could expect a lot of the time I'd just be stuck on the toilet.

I waited all throughout high school for the depo shot to be approved in this country so I could start taking it. It's a miracle for me not to have periods anymore.

~nelly~

Visited with GYN this morning about the results of ultra sound.... new
      #281030 - 09/06/06 10:47 AM
nuggs1968

The ovarian cyst is a mass that is a little smaller than a tennis ball. My doctor says it needs to come out and will involve a partial or total hysterectomy. I'm kind of in shock....but relieved, too. He said it is probably also the cause of my mood swings, IBS, nervousness, etc. So hopefully, this will take care of some of my problems.....and it's not just all in my head.

Re: Visited with GYN this morning about the results of ultra sound.... new
      #281042 - 09/06/06 12:46 PM
jen1013

Yikes! I'm sorry about the hysterectomy. Is that pretty much your only option? If so, I really hope it will help you.

--------------------
jen

#281152 - 09/07/06 08:18 AM
michele

Wow! That is a shock. Well, like you said, it might answer a lot of your other health issues as well. I think I would get a second opinion though before I agree to a major surgery like that. Did he say if there is a big rush to get it done? I'd be in shock too. Love and hugs!

--------------------

#281163 - 09/07/06 08:43 AM
nuggs1968

I trust this doc completely. I know women who have begged him for a hystorectomy and he only does them if it's absolutely necessary. It will be a partial hystorectomy for sure, but possibly a total depending on what he finds once he gets in there. The surgery is scheduled for next Thursday...Sept. 14. He says the "mass" has grown since my CT scan a month ago. He doesn't think at this point that it is cancer, though. So that's good.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 166 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6892

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review