All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)
Re: Michele: Probably a really stupid question, but... new
      #279632 - 08/23/06 10:56 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Well, my ra antibody blood work is negative. It is possible to have what they call serum negative ra but those people will usually have a slightly positive ana and my ana is also negative.

I don't have any skin lesions or mouth sores which are both common in crohn's. They haven't truly ruled out crohn's yet, its just the crohn's doctors guess at this point. We will know more when my prometheus blood work comes back and I'll get the results of the upper gi tomorrow.

I just saw an infectious disease guy back in Feb-march and he ran a boat load of tests for various bugs and parasites. No Lyme's or h. pylori-they did find a past exposure to claymidyia pneumonia (different from the std! ) and I did do a month of antibiotics just to make sure that it wasn't causing any problems.

For the fertility stuff, they have done all the clotting things, the antithrombin, the genetic work-ups on Will and I, all the hormone levels, luteal phase defective, endo biopsy's, the list goes on-they found absolutely nothing other than maybe some low progesterone which I was supplementing at the time.

I've had my thyroid checked and my sugar levels. My parathyroid level is slightly elevated at 77 but they say not to worry about that right now-I'm going to ask the rheumy about it again though next week.

My stool sample did show an over growth of yeast so I'm doing a yeast cleanse right now and taking pro biotics.

My cbc is ok, my red blood cell count is a little low, so I am mildly anemic at the moment. My liver enzymes are only very slightly elevated from the medications I'm taking.

Around 6 years ago, I was found to have hepatitis C. They did a viral load, which was relatively low and genotyped it as genotype 1, the hardest one to get rid of. The liver doctor told me if I didn't treat it with interferon and ribavirin that I wold get liver cancer and die! The drugs are nasty and make you very ill and then they said only 30-40% chance of it working anyways so I did nothing. Three blood tests over the last year have all come back as negative for hep c, so my body fought and killed it, which is fairly rare-less than 10% of people with hep c will have a spontaneous remission. I think that my body revved up my immune system so much to kill the hep c, that its all gone haywire now!

I have had my gallbladder removed because it was full of stones.

My symptoms are, in no particular order
-5 unexplained miscarriages
-Joint swelling-mostly hands and feet with stiffness and pain in hips, knees and wrists. The swelling is mostly controlled now with steroids, placquenil and humira.
-Headaches, which I never used to get
-Gone from constipation to diarrhea-continue to have the usual bloating and gas!
-Tired and weak all the time, no energy t all but have insomnia!
-just a general unwell feeling, stiff and achy all over
-my depression and anxiety have gotten worse but I'm sure that's from all the medical stuff!
-lack of concentration-brain fog
-nausea and occasional vomiting
-Uvietis on and off since last September

I've been diagnosed with bursitis in my hips, costochondritis in my chest, gastritis for which I do take Aciphex.

Two years ago, I severely sprained my ankle and it turned into RSD, Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, which is another odd thing-ending up having 8 spinal treatments for that!

My last set of x-rays do show bone erosion's in my fingers, toes and knees. They ran blood levels to check for my vitamin levels and they are fine. My sed rate is still elevated despite the drugs but my c-protein level is good which is supposed to be a more sensitive test to measure inflammation but I've also been on steroids for months so who knows if the level is actually ok or if its just ok because of the drugs!

They have ruled out lupus because of the negative ana and no skin rashes.

Thats what I can remember at the moment!! I'm open to any anys you might have!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Michele: This might be interesting for you new
      #279646 - 08/23/06 12:13 PM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I found this text on spontaneous recovery from Hepatitis C on

http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/node/3698

About your idea that you thought your body's fighting the Hepatitis C had caused the immune system to go haywire maybe there could be something to that. Here is a couple of quotes of the most interesting parts of the content:

"''SELF-RECOVERY'' FROM HEPATITIS C INFECTION LINKED TO GENES THAT SUPPRESS ACTION OF KILLER IMMUNE CELLS"

and

"Our results were surprising in that self-recovery is not so much a functionof speeding up the body's immune system to attack the hepatitis C virus as it is about taking the foot off the brakes so the body's killer immune cells can take off."

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Re: Michele: This might be interesting for you new
      #279652 - 08/23/06 12:57 PM
michele

That is very interesting. I had heard of the natural killer cells when reding up on miscarriages but didn't know they could be involovedin killing hep c.

I did have some of these cells checked this spring but I,m not sure exactly what they measure for.

From the infectious disease guy, I had all the chlamydia tests run,there are like 9 strains, a billirubin test, mycoplasma, the whole cbc thing, hemoglobin, hematrocit, mcv, mch, mchc, rdw, platelet count, mpv, absolute neutropjilis, absolute lymphocytes, absolute monocythes, ansolute eosinophils, ansolute basophils, neutroies, absolute basophils, neutrphils, lymphocytes, monocytes, bosinophils, basophils, cardiolipin gg ar, crdiolifen thm ab, igm, igg and iga.

I have no clue what a lot of those tests are but they were all ok as was my hep c-no virus detected!

I'm negative for Sjogrens antibodies as well.

The rheumy just re tested a bunch of the above listed stuff as well as potssium, carbon dixide, protein levels, albumin, globulin, ast, alt, anca titers.

The last bunch of blood showed my red blood cell count to be 3.96, should be 4.20-5.10. My hemoglobin was 11, should be 13-15 nd my hematocrit ws 37, should be 38-45.

My cholesterol is high, total 234 but they are just sort of ignoring tht right now until they figure out whats wrong!

Thanks for the info!

--------------------

Re: Michele: This might be interesting for you new
      #279655 - 08/23/06 01:12 PM
Ulrika

Wow! That is a lot of tests! I have no clue what most of them are either.

Seems they have checked for pretty much every diagnosis I have come across googling. I understand that's really frustrating for you. Before I got my IBS diagnosis confirmed the psychologist I saw then said that you can't really learn to deal with things until you know what it is your dealing with. I think that is very true. I really hope they'll have some answers for you soon. In the mean time I'll keep my eyes open.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Re: Thanks!! new
      #279657 - 08/23/06 01:17 PM
michele

I appriciate it!

--------------------

Re: Michele new
      #279755 - 08/24/06 07:38 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

Out of necessity since I have gained enough weight that I can't wear a lot of my work clothes.

Any ole excuse!!!!!

--------------------
Janey

Re: New fashions new
      #279789 - 08/24/06 09:24 AM
michele

I hear ya! Luckily, my weight is on the way down but I'm in between sizes and don't want to spend a lot of money until I get to a more permanent weight/size. Luckily, I saved some cloths from when I was slimmer so have a few things. I'm hoping once I get off the steroids, the weight will come back off!

I can not believe some of the new fashions!! Since its possible our office may be moving in with another office and it will be high end boutique, I'll have to look the part. I bought three fashion magazines yesterday and everyone had these skinny pencil jeans and leggings!!! I did that in the 80's and so don't want to go there again!!!!

Whats a girl with a little (ok a lot!) of junk in her trunk supposed to do?? These new fashion styles are going to make us fuller girls looked like hippos!!!

I was so upset yesterday. This new doctor that my boss may be opening a new office with stopped in yesterday. I had taken time in the morning to curl my hair, I had a cute little cream lace headband on and my make-up looked nice, lipstick and everything. I had on some olive colored Capri's-they were a little baggy but not awful, with a tan, lace Cami and a little crochet short sleeve sweater over it. I thought i looked pretty good. I even had two patients comment on how pretty I was. Well, this doctor was talking to my boss and I was walking around putting some things away. He pointedly looked my up and down (not in a sexual way at all but obvious he was looking at my style) and said to my boss "Well, the girls are going to have to look high end and cute" it was obvious he didn't care for the way I looked.

--------------------

#279793 - 08/24/06 09:33 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

OMG I have seen the leggings again! I can't believe they are back. NO thank you!! As for that doctor what a a$$!!! You shouls have said "Well I'll just fit right in won't I? Since I am looking damn cute today!" Ugh sometimes men just don't get how one little comment about our appearance can really hurt! You are a beatiful person Michele both inside and out! Don't let that doctor spoil your good feelings! He doesn't know all that you have been through. Not that it would excuse his behavior anyways!! Love Ya!

Re: New fashions - forget those leggings! new
      #279799 - 08/24/06 09:45 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I also cannot bring myself to go back to that 80's style. Even though I'm skinny, I'm short and my butt is bigger than the rest of my and I look ridiculous in them. I think these are made for the younger teens & tweens (who weren't around the first time to enjoy them).

As for new fashions for the upcoming year that will look great on anybody, there are plenty to choose from. Wide boyish trousers, fuller skirts, fuller sleeved shirts, layered tops, and cable knit sweaters. It's almost as if there's two trends going on right now, skinny and volume, that contrast each other.

One thing not in style this year: doctors with bad attitudes!

I know you aren't looking to buy a lot of clothes but if you do end up getting a few pieces, there's lots of cute choices for you. Have fun!

--------------------
Kat

#279802 - 08/24/06 09:56 AM
Ulrika

What an idiot!!! Maybe he should worry a bit more about his own attitude than making mean comments about other people.

But hey, maybe he's just compensating for his own SHORTcomings by trying to act as if he is above everybody else.

/Ulrika, IBS-D

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 842 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22313

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review