All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
What book are you reading?
      #278555 - 08/16/06 11:08 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

I'm trying to get some ideas before my next trip to the book store.

Right now I am on a Jodi Picoult kick - I've read the following of her books in the last few weeks:
The Pact
Vanishing Acts
My Sister's Keeper
Mercy
Keeping Faith - I'm about 1/2 way through this one.

All of them have been very good. Mercy wasn't as good as the others, but still good.

Anyway - what is on your reading list?

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What book are you reading? new
      #278557 - 08/16/06 11:14 AM
babakagirl22

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

She is a great author!!! I don't know your taste but if you like romance try Francine Rivers or Lori Wick. Both are great!!!

--------------------
Marci.

For everything there is a season...

#278558 - 08/16/06 11:16 AM
craftymeg

Reged: 07/07/06
Loc: Newfoundland, Canada

I'm reading a Mary Stewart novel right now called this Rough Magic. I've been a fan of hers for awhile. I am also enjoying Kathy Reichs novels whose character Temperance Brennan is the basis for the show "Bones" which I love to watch. I have never heard of Jodi Picoult, what genre is that? Another good romance author is Diana Palmer or for historical romance try Kathleen Woodiwiss, her stuff is great!

Edited by craftymeg (08/16/06 11:17 AM)

#278560 - 08/16/06 11:26 AM
MCV

I wouldn't call Jodi Picoult a romance author. The Pact is about a teen couple who make a suicide pact. Vanishing Acts is about a woman who finds out that she was kidnapped as a child by her father. My Sister's Keeper is about a girl who was conceived just so she could save her older sister's life by donating her cells, etc to cure her cancer.

Jodi Picoult does a TON of research. Her books are fiction but they are very realistic and loaded with facts. They seem like the stories could be real.

I wrote your other suggestions on my list

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#278571 - 08/16/06 12:29 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

Great thread! I don't have time to read right now but I love to do it. I'm hoping that once winter rolls around I'll have the opportunity again. I've had Running With Scissors lying on my desk for a few months. Has anyone read it? Thoughts?

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#278575 - 08/16/06 12:47 PM
MCV

I haven't read it but I heard it's good. He also wrote another one called "Dry" - that one is supposed to be good too.

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

#278594 - 08/16/06 02:10 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

God Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert
Next up will be either Rebels of Ireland by Rutherford or Frances May's latest.

...unless I decide to go completely fluffy and nab one of my husband's Dr. Who novels.

#278607 - 08/16/06 02:59 PM
Dajara

Reged: 12/01/05
Loc: Medicine Hat. AB. CAN

I'm reading The Vampire Armand by Anne Rice. I have been going through her entire vampire chronicals. If you want something thats quite smutty (but still somewhat of a good read, definatly alot of adult themes) There is anne rices Beauty series. It's basicly a new take on the sleeping beauty stories. She is woken up by her prince and then all the erotic adventures of being in a slave and dominance type world. Even though it was a little.. strong.. for my tastes, the writting was so well done that I had to read the rest of the books. There are three in the series and they are written under a different pen name but any store can find them.

#278621 - 08/16/06 05:17 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

I absolutely love to read. I read alot of Patricia Connelly and Tami Hoag. If you like the crime, drama "who done its..." you'll like these authors.

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Anne Rice readers. new
      #278663 - 08/16/06 07:06 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I used to LOVE Anne Rice. Then I just needed a break. Maybe I should try again; it's been a few years.

What's your favorite of the Vampire Chronicles? The Vampire Lestat is probably mine.

The Witching Hour is also excellent, of her other stuff.
Yeah, the Beauty Trilogy is...strong. Interesting though.

#278669 - 08/16/06 07:25 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Lord of the Rings Trilogy by JRR Tolkien

Next in line is the newest Anne Rice.

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Re: Anne Rice readers. new
      #278675 - 08/16/06 07:44 PM
Dajara

I didn't know what other word I could use other than strong. (all others wouldn't have been for virgin eyes haha)
My favorite has got to be either Armand or Blood and gold.. I more so Armand though.. I love the idea of Marius and the relationship him and armand had in venice both before and after he was turned... I'm a big fan of vampiric lit and movies... (I know, I know, I'm a geek, or a freak, either way haha)

I actually had never read any of the novels until last year or so.. I read one or two but I had seen Interview with brad pitt and queen of the damned with vincent perez long before I read the books.. (I'm also a huge vincent perez fan, he is the sexiest french man I have ever seen haha)

You don't even wanna know how many books are on my list! new
      #278676 - 08/16/06 07:44 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I have a knack for finding used-book sales... in the past couple weeks, I've ended up picking up close to 50 books for about $3 total. They range from classics I haven't read in ages, to things I've been meaning to get, to stuff I've never even heard of. However, now I just have to find the time to actually READ THEM.

Right now I'm reading When Women Stop Hating Their Bodies - self-help, but kind of interesting psychology. Then again, I love a good non-fiction read.

One of my all-time favorites is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon... kind of a historical-romance-action read. I don't normally go for romances, but the whole series really hooked me.

Casey new
      #278682 - 08/16/06 08:16 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I absolutely love Outlander and all of Diana Gabaldon books. I have read them all several times but Outlander is my favorite. Wonderful stories and wonderful characters.

I love books in general and it sounds like a dream to find 50 books for $3.00. I could hang out at the book store for hours. A perfect afternoon for me.

--------------------
Janey

Edited by Janey (08/16/06 08:21 PM)

J. S. Foer new
      #278689 - 08/16/06 08:52 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

A really good book I read this year was "extremely loud and incredibly close" by Jonathan Safran Foer. Also the saddest book I've read in a while. He also wrote "everything is illuminated" which was an amazing novel. I just finished "the birth of venus" by ?? this summer which was a good period novel set in 15th century Italy.

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

I'm infamous for digging halfway into several... new
      #278691 - 08/16/06 11:11 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

and as of right now, i am reading all nonfiction:

I Kissed Dating Goodbye (LOL, Christian dating perspective)
Who you Are (christian stuff)
the DNA of Relationships(ok, looking a bit Christian here but...)
oh, there was another one...DUH moment. I've spent too much bloody time on the computer in the last few days to read. Grr.
Oh, I remember...I just recently got through the power of your Subconscious Mind,
Fighting For Your Marriage(I quit that pretty fast)
and bought this instead "It's Called a Breakup Because it's Broken"" LMAO!

I'm weird in the whole nonfiction thing. i like to fix me and others, I spose.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Edited by Coookie (08/16/06 11:13 PM)

I've heard about those series... new
      #278692 - 08/16/06 11:20 PM
_Willow

So should I?? why the heck not eh!

I used to get suckied into those harlequins as a teenager..... but the vampire ones sound wild!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

glad to know I'm not the only non-fict... new
      #278693 - 08/16/06 11:23 PM
_Willow

pop psych geek out there. I've contributed to Dr Phil's wealth no doubt.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#278696 - 08/17/06 04:28 AM
JennyS

Reged: 05/26/06

Personally, I've got a couple going at the same time (as
always). Bourne Identity (I've always wanted to read the
books) and Face the Fire by Nora Roberts.
If you want a quick read and are into romances at all (a
romance has to have a REALLY good story for me to want
to read it at all) the Donovan Trilogy (I try to pretend
the fourth book didn't happen) and the Three Sisters Island
Trilogy by Nora Roberts are definitely worth a read.
Have fun!
Jenny

Re: I've heard about those series... new
      #278711 - 08/17/06 07:07 AM
Dajara

Haha well, the beauty series doesn't deal with vampires at all, but.. I think armand definatly does, as do a few of them.. BUt again thats just me..

I took every psych class our little college offered new
      #278732 - 08/17/06 08:12 AM
atomic rose

Which wasn't many, since it didn't have psych as a major, but man, I love that stuff. The brain and its workings fascinate me. Sociology is a close second - the theories of society, feminism, culture, all that good stuff. Meaty!

Janey new
      #278733 - 08/17/06 08:16 AM
atomic rose

Woohoo! Another Outlander fan!

I don't know if things are done quite the same way down there as up here, but it's worth a shot to mention it. If your grocery stores have community bulletin boards, look at them every time you go shopping - and if not, check your local papers for listings. What you're looking for are book sales at libraries. Up this way, that means filling an entire shopping bag for $1! I've gotten a few books at individual yard sales, but most of them have come from library book sales. And now I have a lot of reading to do! LOL!

I love Outlander too! new
      #278734 - 08/17/06 08:21 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

My friend introduced me when there were about 4 books, so I was able to read them all in a row and that was a great few weeks. There's one more book coming right? The last few have had some brutal stuff in them.

--------------------

Re: I took every psych class our little college offered new
      #278736 - 08/17/06 08:57 AM
Dajara

If you like that kind of thing you may enjoy this one.. *anatomy of the spirit* It follows the theory that if your chakras are out of whack then the physical body will suffer. Like I said, it's very interesting and it doesn't have too much religion type views (which in my books is always a good thing) It's by Caroline Myss.. she also does a cd that helps realign and relax the over stressed person.

I wish I could find a good book on this or take a class but I think anthropology would be neat to study.. Heh, when I was in highschool I wanted to be a Parapsycologist but I hated the idea of taking biology and disecting a fetal pig..

Casey new
      #278739 - 08/17/06 09:10 AM
Janey

I saw a sign a couple of months ago that the library was having a book sale. I didn't go I don't know why I didn't because I usually love to go to any book sale. I think DH was gone and I was in a mood. I will watch for it next time and will be there.

We used to go the to farmers market in PA when we visited in in laws and they had a person there that sold hundreds of books. We would spend most of our time there looking through all the books. There are a couple of places around here that sell old books but I haven't been in there yet. Maybe I am afraid to go in because I already have so many books, LOL!

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely check the next one out.

--------------------
Janey

Re: I love Outlander too! new
      #278741 - 08/17/06 09:16 AM
Janey

Always great to find a fellow Outlander lover! DH was travel years ago and saw a woman on the plane reading Outlander. He asked about it and thought it was a book I would like. I am like you and started the series when several books had already been released. That was great, no waiting.

I love the series but can honestly say that I like the last book the least. I have heard that there will be two more books. I also get updates from Diana Gabaldon's web site via e-mail. Tells you her tour and book signing dates and places, excerpts from new books and how she is coming with the writing of the new book.

--------------------
Janey

Re: I love Outlander too! new
      #278746 - 08/17/06 09:54 AM
JennyS

Reged: 05/26/06

Hi,
I'm a huge fan of the Outlander series. If you've
only read the first 4 then you need to read the Fiery
Cross and (I think this is the title) Snow and Ashes or
something like that. Do a search for Diana Gabaldon online.
You'll get the correct title. Fiery Cross is book 5,
Snow & ashes (or whatever) is book 6.
Have fun!
Jenny

I will ask my friend Erin! new
      #278747 - 08/17/06 09:57 AM
atomic rose

She loooooves anthropology, and has taken all kinds of classes for it... I bet she could suggest a few books! I talk to her almost every day, so I'll ask her and come back with some suggestions, if she has some (and I bet she will).

I have Anatomy of the Spirit! I should take it off the shelf and try it again. Back when I bought it, it was on the advice of my therapist - she was pretty much forcing me to read it, and I never do good with books when I'm being forced. LOL I only got about 1/4 through it. I'll give it another try!

LOL!!! new
      #278748 - 08/17/06 09:59 AM
atomic rose

Our little bookshelves are packed solid already, but that didn't stop me from buying more books! I'm terrible. I have books piled in stacks all over the living room floor, because I don't have anywhere to put them. But I can't think of anything better to spend my pennies on, hehe. Come winter, when we're (hopefully!) snowed in, I'll be glad for some reading material.

#278757 - 08/17/06 10:19 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

Wow, I have a lot of books to add to my list. Now can somebody pass me the time that I need to be able to read one?!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#278774 - 08/17/06 11:17 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell - Historical adventure novel about the Danes invading England in the 800's

I've worked my way through Cornwell's Arthur trilogy (aka, The Warlord Chronicles) - The Winter King, The Enemy of God, and Excalibur - and through the first two books of his Sharpe novels - Sharpe's Eagle and Sharpe's Gold. All of his books are excellent and his writing is incredibly vivid. Warning: the historical periods he writes about are bloody, violent, and cruel, although very exciting. I suspect his Arthur trilogy is closer to the truth than Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy - assuming there's some truth to be close to - but I much prefer to believe Mary Stewart's take on the whole matter.

Anne Rice's Interview With A Vampire is wonderful, but I couldn't get into her later vampire novels. I love two of her lesser known books: Feast Of All Saints and Cry To Heaven. For a great sensuous vampire series, try Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's St. Germain chronicles. I've read the first 5 plus Flame In Byzantium and some of the short stories and they're excellent.

The Jodi Picoult books sound great - my library has a bunch of them. You might like Nancy Pickard's The Whole Truth.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I know the feeling new
      #278783 - 08/17/06 12:01 PM
Janey

When we moved here our bookshelves were so old and falling apart we didn't bring them with us. I haven't found anything I like so I think DH is going to build some. In the mean time I have 18 boxes of books stacked in the basement just waiting for a home.

We had such a mild winter last year I didn't think about being snowed in. I always have to have a book going. Life just doesn't seem right it I am not reading something.

--------------------
Janey

Re: right now... new
      #278817 - 08/17/06 01:47 PM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

I'm reading a book called The Anti- Bride Guide. It's about tying the knot outside of the box. Very helpful. Other than that, just my usual The first Year of IBS book, wich is always on my nightstand!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Re: I know the feeling *me too* new
      #278832 - 08/17/06 02:48 PM
Dajara

I have three shelves of books. One for my more.. spiritual books, tarot cards, runes ect as well as my art books and such. (I have two of Luis royo's art collections, one for josheph linsner<creator of the dawn comics> and one from an anime called Angel Sanctuary.. The next one is covered with all my comic books, and other such Mangas (I love anime and such)(Dawn, Kabuki series, blade of the immortal series) then the next one has anne rices beauty series, vampire chronicals, and the mayfair witches series.. I love my collections...

Re: When I finally got to teacher's college.... new
      #278879 - 08/18/06 04:03 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Psych was the one class regularly attended. I found it fascinating - a little too late! After 5 years of university I was DONE! Still, wouldn't mind taking more psych classes in the future. I often wondered about another career in counselling - I was a "shrink" to lots of my students - from abuse to everything else. I'm a good listener (my Dad was a guidence counsellor - guess I got it from him).

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 911 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5672

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review