All Boards >> The Living Room

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can you guys help me? 24hr Urine Collection?
      #277502 - 08/07/06 12:56 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Sorry I've been totally absent lately...I'm going through all this testing for Cushing's which is taking up a lot of my time + new job = no spare time.

I hope you guys are all doing well.

This is one of the few places I feel comfortable asking these kinds of questions so I'm hoping someone here might have an intelligent suggestion that maybe I've missed.

I have to do a 24hr Urine Collection as part of my Cushing's testing. I have to collect ALL my urine for a 24 hour period and bring it to the lab. Anyways, I'm struggling with what to do when I need to poop (sorry that this is TMI). I bought one of those "hats" that you put in the toilet to collect urine, but sadly I must have gotten a really big one or something because it's hitting my bum area so I can't poop and pee at the same time. I'm also having a bad tummy day so I have to go more than normal which is making things harder.

I'm trying to just hold it, pee first into the hat, transfer it to the specimen container, and then go ... but boy is that a pain. Plus, once the muscles get working sometimes some extra pee sneaks out, and I was told that if any pee gets missed the specimen is void

Any clever suggestions? I'm about ready to give up on the whole damn test but I started it at 8:30 this morning and I don't want to be a quitter.

Thanks,
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can you guys help me? 24hr Urine Collection? new
      #277516 - 08/07/06 01:34 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Sorry hon, thats a tough one! I remember when I did all the fertility stuff, I was going in almost daily for ultrasounds and they were always in the am. I'd have to drink a lot of water and not pee before going but it never filed that I'd have to poo and I just can't poo without peeing, especially when my bladder is FULL!! Sorry, no help but I do understand!! An after thought, maybe take an immodium to stop the poo for now? Might make you C tomorrow but it would get you through the testing?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Thanks Michele new
      #277520 - 08/07/06 01:58 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Thank you so much for trying to help Michele, you are a sweetie That's actually a really good suggestion...unfortunately I can't use it because I can't take ANY meds except the ones that I'm already on long-term because it might skew the results. This is a tough-one...I just don't want to fail miserably at it and have them stick me in the hospital with a catheter to get this done

Re: Can you guys help me? 24hr Urine Collection? new
      #277531 - 08/07/06 04:14 PM
Susie2

Reged: 08/07/06
Loc: Pomona California

I did a 24 hour urine collection in the hospital last week. After 6 hours I got some poop in the urine and it had to be started all over. I was just devasted at the time. They asked if I wanted to try again or just be catherized. I agreed to being catherized as the stress of trying to keep the poop out of pee in the hat on the pot was just too much. Mine had to be kept on ice also. So if you can't do it and it is possible to do it in the hospital it might relieve a lot of stress. Good luck.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1768 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1195

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review