Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Furniture shopping--need opinions!
      #277079 - 08/04/06 08:33 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hi, everybody:

Okay, well, the time has finally come to purchase some couches, which we have never done! We have always had other people's hand-me-downs, but the current ones are getting really worn out and just don't match our decor at all. So, we've been looking.

We know we want something of decent quality that will last 5-10 years; we also know that we want leather. There is a lot of cheap stuff out there, but we're willing to invest in something nice. I've basically narrowed it down to two choices.

Couch set A is by La-z-boy. It is extremely comfortable (recliners all over the place) and looks nice. I found one website really trashing their products, but they're such a huge company that I think it would still be okay.

Couch set B is by Natuzzi. Now, this one looks FANTASTIC and is comfortable, but not as comfortable as couch set A. The leather is also less soft. This might mean that it's more durable, but it's less comfortable/warm. The warmth issue is not that big of a deal because I live in southern CA, but it does impact the "inviting-ness" of the couch.(BTW the Natuzzi picture is not the exact sofa we're looking at, but the one we're looking at has a similar "streamlined" appearance with the wooden feet.)

Anyway, I'm not really looking for opinions about which one you think looks better, but I need help deciding which is better for the long term:

-something very comfortable and moderately attractive that I'm only about 70% confident will hold up well, or
-something moderately comfortable and very attractive that I'm about 85% confident will hold up well.

Let me know what you think or what your experiences have been with a similar purchase. Which factors should I be giving the most weight to in making my decision?

Thank you in advance for your insight!

Thank you!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Furniture shopping--need opinions! new
      #277087 - 08/04/06 09:04 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Well, I definitely like couch B a LOT more aesthetically. When we bought our couch set (which was the first time we weren't using hand me downs as well) we stumbled into it. I like the way it looks, but most important to us was the amount of people/pets you could fit on it, and durability (we had it teflon coated, pet hair slides right off).

I imagine that the more you sit on a leather couch the more broken in it will become and the more comfortable it would be. So I would go with the one you think will hold up the best and like the looks of the most.

#277091 - 08/04/06 09:10 AM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

My vote is for B for a couple of reasons. One is that couches with recliners are soooo heavy to move and you can have lots of problems with the mechanisms in them. Two I really like the look of B and leather will wear in after awhile.

My vote's for B new
      #277122 - 08/04/06 11:18 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

..its soo stylish. All leather couches are a bit cold, I always keep a throw near mine in case it's clammy on my skin.

--------------------
S.

#277169 - 08/04/06 01:12 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I have a distressed leather sofa by Natuzzi, and I love it! We've had it about 8 years, and it looks and feels better than the day we bought it. It has held up even better than I had imagined. It is my favorite piece of furniture, and I think I'll own it until it falls apart! (which, by the way it's going, will be a long time.)

I purchased a Lazy Boy chair several years ago, and I can't say the same for it. It was coming apart at the seams shortly after we bought it. I don't think Lazy Boy's quality is what it used to be. I would stay away from this brand.

I go with comfort every time. *nt new
      #277183 - 08/04/06 02:15 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Couch B!!! new
      #277184 - 08/04/06 02:17 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

So cool!

~nelly~

#277526 - 08/07/06 03:10 PM
ArmyWife87

Reged: 06/05/06
Loc: Canada - East Coast

My preference would be for B. The firm cushioning I think would last longer, and I think looks very classy as well as comfortable.

If you're looking for long term, you should also consider the mechanics of the recliner. Alhough my mother-in-law has had her LazyBoy for several years, she's had some problems with actual reclining mechanism.

Just more food for thought....

--------------------
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 352 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1406

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review